Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just leased a new RAV4 XLE Hybrid, with the Convenience Package, mat package, mud guard and adjustable cover. This is my wife's car and she loves it. After three CRV EXL-Navi's since 2009, this is a very, very nice car. We made a change right at purchase by taking the Firestone Destination LE2's, with very low miles, off the CRV, replacing, to me, the inferior in snow and ice OEM tires on the RAV4. Prior experience with the LE2's has been a quiet ride and very good performance in snow and really not bad, at all, on ice. Must say we were surprised last week when the TPMS light went as we were making our first venture on the Interstate. Got off at the next exit, and, carrying a tire guage, as always, checked the tires and they were all even. Called the dealer and they said to bring it in and have the spare checked. That was fine. Went back a couple of days later and found out the TPMS computer had failed. They had to order a new one and will replace it next week. Is this common. I have had several cars with TPMS, and this is the first to have a computer failure.
Also, we have noticed, what we feel is, a higher level of road noise than we expected. We made Acura's out of the last two CRV's (not quite) by having them undercoated. Ziebart is having a special on its Sound Deadening Package. Does anyone have any experience with this or other products in reducing noise. Other than noise coming from under the car, the car is really silent. It takes a little time to adjust to the quite. I have an RX350 and I think, other than road noise, that car has more upper (wind, etc.) noise that the RAV4.
Really happy with our choice. BTY, we chose the XLE because we couldn't see spending $5,000 for power seats, fake leather, and the auto dimming mirror. While the 360 degree camera sounds great, and homelink is nice, my wife prefers cloth, and has had to have leather to get the built in navigation in the CRV. We are saving a great deal in monthly payments, and are very, very happy.
Looking forward to being an active participant in the forums.
Look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, the Rav4 has high level of road noise and that's one thing that bugs me, other than the regen. noise when coasting (not braking). I've never heard of undercoating and I'm so glad you brought it up. Would undercoating void any warranties with the car?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If you want extreme luxury quiet, then visit a reputable sound installation outfit and have it sound-proofed. I did my own to the max and it enhanced the driving sound so that I could whisper to my darlin. It is worth it. If you want to hear your darlin. If not, just crank up the sound system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Everyone,
I have to take the RAV4 back this coming week for the replacement TPMS computer, so I will ask about warranty then. I believe the dealer uses Ziebart for their undercoating, so I don't think it will be a problem. My salesperson is my cousin's son-in-law. As far as custom sound deadening, I agree it is the best, but it is quite expensive, and where we are located, I don't believe we have any specialty shops.
Look forward to any more thoughts!
Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you want extreme luxury quiet, then visit a reputable sound installation outfit and have it sound-proofed. I did my own to the max and it enhanced the driving sound so that I could whisper to my darlin. It is worth it. If you want to hear your darlin. If not, just crank up the sound system.
What material did you use? What area of the car you think is the most effective from your sound proofing?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts