Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2008 limited v6 with 66k for mileage from a BMW dealer.
My mechanic said it was in amazing condition and wouldn't fine one cleaner.

I just noticed after having it for a week it has that "whine" that everyone is talking about. My mother in law has the 2011 limited, and I hear the same whine.
Since I have a 60 day warranty on issues, should I take the tsb to the dealer and have them check the transaxle, or tranny? My mechanic said it was in impeccable condition, and under the hood it was clean enough to eat off of(and he's reliable and knows toyota's). Not sure how to handle and feeling a little pressure to get anything fixed within 60 days.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Definitely take it back to the dealer with the TSB.
Tell them it is a common issue and that you're glad that they have a 60-Day warranty! .... and then let them show you their fine prints :(
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your 60 day warranty is from the BMW dealer, I doubt they would honor the TSB.

I'd be curious to know if Toyota will fix it for you given its over their 60k power train warranty. Mine has the noise and at 113k, I would sure like to hear if Toyota will help fix this defect. My work vans are quieter than this whine wagon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If your 60 day warranty is from the BMW dealer, I doubt they would honor the TSB.

I'd be curious to know if Toyota will fix it for you given its over their 60k power train warranty. Mine has the noise and at 113k, I would sure like to hear if Toyota will help fix this defect. My work vans are quieter than this whine wagon.
The original TSB does state coverage for the whine under 60k-miles, https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-SB-0130-12.pdf

But I'm pretty sure those with purchased extended warranties got theirs fixed/replaced after that 60k factory warranty expired. And the BMW dealer just gave the OP a 60-day extended warranty. I think he has a case!

As Vanib said, now let's see what the fine print from the BMW dealer warranty sez....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Most likely the 60 day warranty is a state requirement for used vehicles and not a dealer policy...if Toyota says the whine will not affect safe operation of the vehicle then the BMW dealer is unlikely to shell out thousands for the repair...hopefully the op will get it fixed tho...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whine

Thanks for the info.
I swung by my mechanic this morning and they heard it, put it up in the air and confirmed it was the transaxle. BMW is telling me to contact Toyota since it is a TSB. I'll let you know what Toyota says.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
So if it was not a TSB, BMW would have fixed it???
I would tell them to deal with Toyota instead since they are providing the warranty, not Toyota. The TSB simply identifies how the car should be fixed; it is not a recall.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
I wonder how loud the whine is. At certain speeds I can hear some in our RAV4 but it isn't what I'd call annoying at all, just a little of the mechanical noises that reassure me that everything is working right. Kinda like the sound of a properly tuned Harley. I probably couldn't stand the silence of a Lexus.

I have heard obnoxious whine from a friend's Odyssey I test drove for him. Terribly loud but only for a few thousand miles before the transaxle blew. My Odyssey has a little whine but only if I listen close and it's easily ignored.

So, is it loud enough to be distracting and annoying or just something to find fault with because it's under warranty? I tend to think the latter since "My mother in law has the 2011 Limited, and I hear the same whine," but she apparently hasn't complained about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nobody likes a whiner

You hit the nail on the head dyno. I hear the same thing in my mother in law's 2011, a bit more subtle. I am a also a cursed musician with years of guitar playing and feedback so I can tell a high pitched sound when I hear one. It isn't that annoying, I honestly it was the muster of the V6 when I first got it.
I was just hoping maybe I could soften or dampen it since it is a 2008 and I am hoping to have it for awhile and just spent some coin on it.

I wonder how loud the whine is. At certain speeds I can hear some in our RAV4 but it isn't what I'd call annoying at all, just a little of the mechanical noises that reassure me that everything is working right. Kinda like the sound of a properly tuned Harley. I probably couldn't stand the silence of a Lexus.

I have heard obnoxious whine from a friend's Odyssey I test drove for him. Terribly loud but only for a few thousand miles before the transaxle blew. My Odyssey has a little whine but only if I listen close and it's easily ignored.

So, is it loud enough to be distracting and annoying or just something to find fault with because it's under warranty? I tend to think the latter since "My mother in law has the 2011 Limited, and I hear the same whine," but she apparently hasn't complained about it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So if it was not a TSB, BMW would have fixed it???
I would tell them to deal with Toyota instead since they are providing the warranty, not Toyota. The TSB simply identifies how the car should be fixed; it is not a recall.
Interesting case. No, it is not a recall, but the TSB is important because it does identify an issue with some cars affected, and specifies it is covered under drivetrain warranty, with the TSB providing the how-to-proceed instructions.

If the BMW dealer offered a 60-day comprehensive warranty as a perk with the sale of the RAV, in my opinion, it would be the same as any extended warranty (depending on fine print exclusions). If there is a problem (loud enough whine), dealer should pay to fix it. The BMW dealer getting the take from a Toyota dealer on the TSB--perhaps a threshold judgment of the noise-- might be a positive sign.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well..

After calling Toyota and them going through my vin and saying there was nothing they could do, I called my local toyota and the service guy was very helpful. He told me he had just done the transaxle fix on another vehicle, that I was covered after looking up my vin, etc. So I dropped it off, and was hoping for good news. Later that evening, he told me it would be $1100 and that it wasn't covered since it was only within the original warranty. I then went to BMW to see if they could do anything within their warranty. Of course they wanted to have it checked(didn't want me to have an issue mechanically, but they said smells and sounds aren't covered). Yesterday the Rav spent a few hours back at BMW service and they said it was annoying, would cost over a thousand to fix and the manager said to try calling a few other local Toyota's as he is friends with their service managers. What a process... Still hoping to somehow swing it somehow.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
You hit the nail on the head dyno. I hear the same thing in my mother in law's 2011, a bit more subtle. I am a also a cursed musician with years of guitar playing and feedback so I can tell a high pitched sound when I hear one. It isn't that annoying, ...
Seems like turning the radio up might be your best practical option. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Yesterday the Rav spent a few hours back at BMW service and they said it was annoying, would cost over a thousand to fix and the manager said to try calling a few other local Toyota's as he is friends with their service managers. What a process... Still hoping to somehow swing it somehow.
Since the mileage is past the TSB limit I don't see what they can do friends or not. Unless the mother ship is willing to do a goodwill trans replacement (escalated case) I question if you have any recourse. Since it's currently just 6,000 miles past the limit it's sure worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...I called my local toyota and the service guy was very helpful. He told me he had just done the transaxle fix on another vehicle, that I was covered after looking up my vin, etc... Later that evening, he told me it would be $1100 and that it wasn't covered since it was only within the original warranty. I then went to BMW to see if they could do anything within their warranty. Of course they wanted to have it checked(didn't want me to have an issue mechanically, but they said smells and sounds aren't covered).
Ask the Toyota dealer if it would have been fixed if it was still under a Toyota extended warranty (VSA). If so, the BMW dealer 60-day warranty is lame. But I have to admit, excluding 'smells and sounds' is some seriously weird fine print to deny coverage.

Also, $1100 seems like a low price and is not what a complete tranny swap out would cost. Are they offering some good will partial payment?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no fix

well.. both the dealer and toyota have chatted, too much to fix.
That one Toyota quote for $1100 was for the damper fix. I've read that sometimes works. I was told by the dealer I could return the car if I wanted..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Too bad the BMW dealer 60-day warranty was not more comprehensive, especially if Toyota dealer essentially said it would have been covered under warranty--at least the original TSB said so, and makes sense an extended warranty would also cover it. I'm not sure what the 'damper' fix would be, but it might not be to your satisfaction, or becomes a money pit. The whine itself is highly subjective and many can live with it. Personally, if paying top dollar, I'd take advantage of the offer to return it and look for one without the issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
The only reason I can think of to not return the car is how much you'll lose on sales tax and that depends on how your state figures that.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I bought one that already had the fix performed so I'm not sure just how bad the whine actually is. But if it is something that bothers you every time you get in it I would lean towards returning it and finding another as well. It would cost thousands to replace out of warranty.

Maybe some dynamat would reduce the noise?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I kept the vehicle.. My mechanic always steers me right. I mentioned yesterday to them that it was possible to return and they said it is still in such pristine shape and that it is just a noise and probably won't find another Rav this well taken care of with new brakes, bone dry engine, clean interior, etc.
Here's a question.. the differential recall/fix for the growl, etc.. that is still valid for my vehicle.
Is that a totally separate area that would not have anything to do with dampening the sound? Would that have been noticed as part of the whine by toyota or my mechanic. Or is it worth having that rechecked to see if it helps at all with that whine? Even though it is coming from the front?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts