Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to get some kinda answer here.

I really did not want to do much on this car but there are few things that came up to my mind.

Not in need for a rim but would like to make the rim flush with the fender. The fronts and the back rims probably need different types of spacer in terms of spacer thickness.

Does anyone know how to make the tires flush with the fender on a stock rim? I know it is a hard question but if anyone can answer it, I'd appreciate it a lot! :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums civikun :D

You will definitely need a set of wheel spacers to push your factory wheel/tires out to the fenders; or at least close to the fenders.

I've done it with my RAV and am pleased with the results.

You will definitely see a noticeable improvement, especially if you do not have fender flares. If I remove my fender flares, the wheels would be flush with the fenders. :D

For my RAV (1998), I used 30mm spacers in the rear and 25mm spacers in the front. The reason why I used smaller spacers in the front is to avoid any tire rubbing on the wheel well cladding. I do get just a tiny bit of rubbing on extreme turns, but I also have non-factory alloy wheels too with more offset. You may be able to get away with 30mm spacers on the front if going with an all factory wheel/tire combo.

I would also recommend getting a set of high quality wheel spacers. I got a cheap set from a seller on eBay and I stripped the threads on one of the lugs. Also a high quality wheel spacer will be designed to be hub centric, therefore eliminating high speed vibrations. The ones that you see pictured above are from a company called H&R, very high quality and are hubcentric.

One of the benefits that I have found using wheel spacers is that the RAV is more stable in corners (more track width). Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with the project. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice pics there Derek........

I have a copule of questions, do we need a mechanic to install the spacers?

What are the dimensions of your wheels? Where can we get those spacers online?

anyways, thanks for any reply.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Derek, Thanks for the fast response and it really does look good! But I will look in to the H&R spacers. Yes, I do have a stock rim so I might be able to use the 30 mm spacer all the way around huh? that would look really nice I guess.

Thanks really a lot because this has been a quite a headache for me for a long time......hehehe.

I am just wondering if it would have any problems with the 2001 Rav since it is a littel different. Do you have any ideas or should I ask the people that is on the new Rav4 Thread? Thanks!

Ken

·
Registered
875 Posts
Derek! I had no idea you had spacers on your car! Cool. You always work wonders with your photos. It definitely helps Thanks! I was thinking about installing the same thing but was warned about messing up my turning radius. How extreme of a difference will my turning radius be with a spacer that large?

I hate to doubt you or anything, but couldn't simply offsetting the tires get a similar effect?....but probably not as extreme? I'm curious. What's your take on it Derek?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does it place more stress on the suspension components or place stress at different areas now that you have such wide spacers?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
To answer a few of your questions:
I have a copule of questions, do we need a mechanic to install the spacers?

What are the dimensions of your wheels? Where can we get those spacers online?
Nope, you do not need a mechanic at all. If you can remove your wheels, then it should be a cinch. The wheel spacers just fit onto your existing hub and is held on by the provided lug nuts. Just a warning though, the smallest size that you can do this is the 25mm wheel spacers. If you go any smaller than you will have to change out the lugs to longer lugs, then you will probably need a mechanic. :?

I have similar dimension wheels as yours probably, 16 X 6 1/2", wheel bolt diameter of 5 X 114.3mm, and an offset of 40mm. I am sure the factory dimensions of 4.2 RAVs are similar. As to where I got mines from, I got one set on eBay very cheap; I believe there is another set on auction right now. Just make sure that they are H&Rs though. I got the other set locally from a speed shop.

Yes, I do have a stock rim so I might be able to use the 30 mm spacer all the way around huh?
Yes, 30mm should work o.k.. I had 30mm on mines and it worked well with the factory rims/tires. I have 215/70/16 tires, so if you have a larger tire, maybe a smaller wheel spacer would provide less rubbing of the wheel well on extreme turns.

How extreme of a difference will my turning radius be with a spacer that large?

I hate to doubt you or anything, but couldn't simply offsetting the tires get a similar effect?
You will notice a lessening of the turning radius with a wider track. So it is up to you to determine whether the positives (better handling, looks) outweighs the negatives (decreased turning radius). Yes, you could get the same effect with a more negative offset wheels. However, I did not have the funds available at that time to get new rims.

Does it place more stress on the suspension components or place stress at different areas now that you have such wide spacers?
That one Moza, I really don't know. I would have to make an educated guess that H&R being such a highly regarded performance company would not design and sell a product that could be dangerous to its consumers (i.e. potential litigation). When one of my suspension components snaps, you'll be the first to know. :lol: :p

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes Eric, you can buy aftermarket rims with whatever offset that you choose. I did not have a choice however using my factory RAV4 rims which has an offset of +38mm. The Skyline rims that I eventually put on has an offset of +40mm.

I did notice that the turning radius was decreased a bit, especially trying to make U-turns. But the RAV did not have that great a turning radius to begin with. :lol:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks DEREK: Ahh, i see. So wheels come with a specific offset? I guess the word OFFSET made me think that it was something that could be adjusted. So you can't change an offset for a wheel? It is what it is?

The u-turn thing was exactly what I was worried about. I can barely make some turns now, so anything worse would be pretty bad. how about the benefits? Is the turning really that much better or would you say it's mostly for appearance? I know it's different depending on people's needs blah blah blah. But YOUR specific opinion is what i'm looking for. With a ride like yours, it's hard NOT to trust you. Youv'e done a great job so far with...everything.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, offset is a part of the wheels particular application and is not adjustable. You can buy aftermarket wheels and specify a certain offset within reason, although I would stick to factory specs. so that you do not run into any clearance issues.

As for the benefits of handling by increasing the track width, I do notice an improvement with the spacers. I initially put them on for appearance, but noticed that they did help my RAV corner much better. I am not sure if the costs of a set of wheel spacers is worth it though. The H&R wheel spacers are somewhat pricey. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts