Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/060127/17772.html

In summary, the article stresses how SUV bumpers are generally either crappy or non-existent.

While I get that they are using the RAV to demonstrate the point, I found it jarring to see them "pick on" the vehicle...especially since it is *my* vehicle. 8-}

"Worst case: no bumper
Sometimes there will be no bumper damage at all for the SUV -- because there's no bumper. The next time you're sitting behind a Toyota RAV4 at a traffic light, look for the rear bumper. Lean forward and squint all you want -- even clean your glasses if you think it might help. But you won't see one -- at least not one that would protect the vehicle in a crash.

That's because the RAV4, like all sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and minivans sold in the United States, isn't required by the federal government to have bumpers. While many manufacturers do put bumpers on their trucks and SUVs, there's no guarantee that the bumpers can withstand even the smallest of parking-lot taps without sustaining damage."
To make this post more interesting - are there any regions of the world with more-stringent-than-the-US bumper rules and in those markets are there good solutions for the rav for a "bumper solution"? There is a thread in one of the sub-forums I noticed about simulating a rear bumper with a tow-hitch-and-bar arrangement. Are there other options?

-Brian
*thinks this post may be too boring*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, we as a auto buying public have accepted the nonsense of painted, non-functional bumpers! so the government stopped requiring them and the manufacturers stopped building them.

I remember the good ole 5mph shock absorbing bumpers of the 70's and 80's.

When I was 16, I rear ended a Nissan Sentra HARD with a 1969 Ford Falcon I was driving. The Nissan suffered no damage, had a shock absorbing bumper. The chrome steel bumper on the Ford was forever pushed back a few inches. I got off scot free!

When I was about 18, I had a 1974 Honda Civic. I drove off the road one night and hit a tree, spun around, and hit a second tree when spinning backwards. I hit both the front and rear bumpers, on two separate trees. Bumper cars. No damage to the Honda.

Try either stupid driving event, chalked up to youthful stupidity, on a RAV4 or Subaru Outback or Honda CRV and watch out, you are looking at thousands of dollars of damage. Heck, my wife hit a snowdrift in her Outback and chewed up the painted bumper. It is actually called a bumper cover. I bought the cover for about $250 and paid another $250 to paint and installed it myself. $500 for what wouldn't have fazed an older vehicle one bit.

No wonder we spend so much on car insurance!

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
bloorav said:
This could probably go in any of the general forums, or probably none of them since it isn't actually *about* the RAV4
Moved from "Off Topic" to 4.2 General... since it is about the 2001-2005 RAVs (maybe the 4.1's too)... but NOT the 4.3's... as they now have a rear bumper. Will be interesting to see CRASH TESTS on the 2006+ models... to see how this new bumper holds up :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
The 2001-2005 models of the RAV 4 are pretty high in insurance rates because of this fact. I'll find the article I read if I can. It said that the average cost of repair for even a minor collision would be $4000.00-$5000.00. Making the RAV4 one of the most expensive to repair for minor damage. Lack of rear bumpers was noted as the problem.

Most of today's vehicles don't really have a bumper if you look at it. The plastic cover, over the "bumper" inside, is what's expensive to fix. These things can cost $1000 dollars. Automakers are not making cars tougher. They are making them more costly to repair which=money in their pockets.

Later. M.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Marcutio said:
The 2001-2005 models of the RAV 4 are pretty high in insurance rates because of this fact... Lack of rear bumpers was noted as the problem.
Does that mean that if i decide to get a front and rear bull bar and notify my insurance, will my premium go down? If so, i'll do it as soon as i get enough money to buy them because i really think the bars are necessary, just in case 8).

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
It would be nice to have a poll on see how much we pay for our insurance in diff. Provinces and States. And to see if the price diff. between the new, and the old and older.

I think i pay 2,400 Can. about $2,100 US (yearly).

I've have a perfect record and driven for about 20 years.

The news reports say that people in Ontario, Canada pay almost double than that of some other provinces :x :x

Walt

T

·
0 Posts
We put a waag bumper guard in the back and it didn't help much. We got hit twice in the back and the entire door and tire cover had to replaced both times. The only time the bumper helped us is when the car that hit us in the back was smaller than ours. The two prior accidents were from much larger vehicles and it smashed our door right in. Over $2500+ in repairs in both incidents.

R

·
0 Posts
I think its important to note for these "parking lot taps" or similar a bumper would not help with a larger vehicle. A pickup truck or large SUV will hit a RAV well above the bumper(even the 06) so its a mute point there. So that should be taken to heart.

A small car with a bumper would do nothing to stop a pickup truck either or large SUV. They would hit well above the bumpers.

A bumper would only help with small cars, lamp posts and the like on these low speed collisions. For high speed I assume the front bumper is part of the crumple zone so this would help regardless of vehicle size.

My Point? A rear bumper would only help if you were hit by a car and not another SUV or pickup truck/big vehicle. These are the ones I would worry about in terms of damage from a tap as a bumper would not help.

Just my 2 cents

T

·
0 Posts
Yeah. I kind of figured that out after the first accident. :roll:

I don't even think it'll help with a lamp post either because the wheel in the back sticks out. The bumper guard sure does help me when I clean the top of the car though. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah that plastic "bumper"..... Not much help with high impact, but a lot easier to fix for minor fender-benders..... :wall

But hey, come to think of it, even without the "bumper", I think we've all forgotten one thing....

The - tah dahn - spare tire :idea:

I think that would definitley help absorb impact from behind, wouldn't it :?:

Also, if you've got a tow bar back there, I think that counts as a bumper....

:lol: in D'fense of D'RAV.......

Cheers!

Philo

S

·
0 Posts
My 2004 Rav4 got rear ended last week and since there's no rear bumper, the impact bent the rear door frame and dented the back door. The bottom part of the spare tire got pushed slightly into the back door too so I'll be needing a new back door panel and tire mount. The insurance adjuster said the damages come to $2600. I'm not sure how fast the person was going that hit me, but I'll take a guess and say less than 15 MPH. Before this my Rav didn't even have one dent.

M

·
0 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Does that mean that if i decide to get a front and rear bull bar and notify my insurance, will my premium go down?
It won't go down. Insurance companies have a man working for them that understands physics and knows that anything that uses small bolts and mount to some sheet metal will not be enough to stop several hundred thousands pounds of force that will be exerted if the bull bar is within a few inches of the vehicle body, and the idea is for the bull bar to not smash into the vehicle body. :p

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
MiniRunner said:
garfieldgurl said:
Does that mean that if i decide to get a front and rear bull bar and notify my insurance, will my premium go down?
It won't go down. Insurance companies have a man working for them that understands physics and knows that anything that uses small bolts and mount to some sheet metal will not be enough to stop several hundred thousands pounds of force that will be exerted if the bull bar is within a few inches of the vehicle body, and the idea is for the bull bar to not smash into the vehicle body. :p
If its a proper bull bar, it should be mounted to the frame rails - the strongest part of the car.....

anyway, I think the whole point has be lost here - the rear does have a bar, as does the front, it is hidden behind the plastic "bumpers" and is designed to crumple in a certain way to save the car occupants..... I'd much rather the front and rear crumple around me, whilst the airbags are going off and still be able to open the door and get my family out safely once the "accident" has come to a complete stop!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
i like the look of the bumperless rav..........

i have heard that the bumper is only to assist in no more than 8 mph impacts..........

truck bumpers are no longer as strong as they used too be either..........

M

·
0 Posts
AussieRAVer said:
If its a proper bull bar, it should be mounted to the frame rails - the strongest part of the car.....
To be honest, I have never seen a bull bar sturdy enough to even come close to an off-road bumper, which can in fact make a 5mph hit a matter of only scuffed paint.

But it's a moot point anyway as the RAV4 is a soft unibody without any frame rails. :p

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
MiniRunner said:
AussieRAVer said:
To be honest, I have never seen a bull bar sturdy enough to even come close to an off-road bumper, which can in fact make a 5mph hit a matter of only scuffed paint.

But it's a moot point anyway as the RAV4 is a soft unibody without any frame rails. :p
They are what I would call a Nudge bar.. not a heavy duty bull bar...

True about the rails... But a full on bull bar mounted properly will give much more protection...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts