Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add GPS and a backup camera to my Rav4 but after doing some research, I decided to install a Nexus 7 into the dash rather than get an aftermarket Chinese knockoff that has a high probability of failing.

I found two Nexus 7 threads on the forum:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/169674-tablet-head-unit.html
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/170786-tablet-head-unit-round-2-a.html

I also did some additional research, watched some Youtube videos, and I came up with this diagram that shows how I'm going to hook everything up:

This is my Amazon Parts List. (~$140)
I also anticipate a Nexus 7 in the price range of $50 and additional $10 worth of things from ebay. This brings the total to $200.

The one thing I don't understand at this point is how to hook up the wires in the wiring harness. This includes an accessory switch 12 V (yellow), an antenna wire (blue), an illumination wire (orange), a radio ground (black), and a car battery 12 V (red). (The rest of the wires on the harness are the left and right speaker wires which I'm converting to left and right RCA and using a converter to make that into a 3.5 mm audio wire.)

Do I connect the accessory switch 12V (yellow) to the DC-DC RED wire? The radio ground to the DC-DC black wire? And then what do I do with the rest (antenna, illumination, car battery)? I'm hoping the tablet should turn on when the car is turned on and off when car is turned off. I think if I solder the car batter 12 V (red wire) together with the DC-DC red wire, then the tablet will always stay on and will drain the car battery out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a a Nexus 7 setup, albeit a little different than the one you are going to do, so I'll chime in.

"Do I connect the accessory switch 12V (yellow) to the DC-DC RED wire? "

Yes, this will give you switched DC power. Which, if you are using Timur's kernel or something similar, will turn the tablet off and on with the car.

"The radio ground to the DC-DC black wire?"

Yep.

"And then what do I do with the rest (antenna, illumination, car battery)? I'm hoping the tablet should turn on when the car is turned on and off when car is turned off. I think if I solder the car batter 12 V (red wire) together with the DC-DC red wire, then the tablet will always stay on and will drain the car battery out"

All the rest of these will be unused in your setup. Yes if you use a constant source of battery power you will have your tablet on all the time, although it would take a long while for your Nexus to drain the car battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a a Nexus 7 setup, albeit a little different than the one you are going to do, so I'll chime in.
I just got my scosche double din. Did you have to cut part of the din in the back to make the nexus 7 flushed to the front? As of right now, it seems like there would be a 0.5 inch gap if I just connected the nexus as is.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got my scosche double din. Did you have to cut part of the din in the back to make the nexus 7 flushed to the front? As of right now, it seems like there would be a 0.5 inch gap if I just connected the nexus as is.
Yes, I used masking tape to mark an even line around it and then a Dremel to cut off some of the material. Mine still sits a little bit back, but I found it's actually a help preventing glare.

Rick

·
Registered
263 Posts
nice work, been seeing this mod pop up for various different cars from time to time. with the prevalence of cheap android 2din headunits popping up on amazon, I opted for one of those in my evo. saves the hassle of custom work, integration etc. and only weighs 5lbs. just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts