Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am torn between which plugs to purchase.

I've used NGK in many of my foreign vehicles with good success. I do however see that the factory plugs are Denso.

Does anyone have any pros or cons against the two brands mentioned?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 - just pulled one plug, on the weekend.
Denso FK20HR11 has 71,000 original miles, on it / plug still looked good & runs smooth.

Probably change plugs next year.
- Canadian Toyota prices are always very high here
- I'll probably just order Denso off Amazon - OEM style, Laser welded Iridium tip
SHOP BY VEHICLE
http://www.densoproducts.com/Automotive-DensoProducts-l1351.aspx
http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/...gi?name=RAV4&filename=4w-64.txt&action=search

My replacement spark plugs for DENSO FK20HR11:
Brand Model
Autolite XP5325
Champion 9006
NGK DILFR6D11
NGK ILFR6D-11
NGK ILFR6D11
NGK Iridium IX - LFR6AIX-11

Torch KH6RTII-11
Torch KH6RTIP-11
Denso (3421) SK20HR11 Iridium Long-Life Spark Plug
^^ This Denso plug call for spark plugs between 100k-120k miles.

This is a guide some use when buying plugs:
GM - AC Delco
Ford - Autolite
Mopar - Champion
Toyota - Denso
Honda - NGK
^^ That's what they put in at the factory.

Quote http://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/57756-denso-spark-plug-ngk-4th-gen-2.html
The long life iridium plugs that are currently available use an iridium center electrode tip and a platinum pad on the ground electrode.

As I understand it, the main benefit of iridium is you can create a finer center electrode tip and therefore create a smaller "shadow" for the pressure wave that comes from the expansion of gasses as they burn as well as get finer control of where the ground arc will jump the gap and create a more consistent flame kernel.

Platinum is great for longevity but not very good for much else when it comes to electrode tips. I believe that copper plugs actually would perform better than platinum but car makers are driven to get the 90k, 100k, etc. "no tune up" feature for marketing and the performance loss is not noticeable to all but someone who has very controlled conditions and knows exactly what to look for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would definitely stick with OEM plugs. I don't think you can go wrong with either Denso or NGK. Your manual should list each version as a choice, mine did.
These Iridium plugs last a long time. I went 170,000 km's on my corolla and now 130,000 km's on my Rav 4. They are still ok, but I'll probably not have the vehicle in another 130,000 km's ,so I decided to change them now. I'm hoping my fuel mileage might go up. :)
My 08 rav limited with an I4 engine takes Denso SK20R11 or NGK IFR6A11 Again , either one is a good choice.

PS.....I tried one of those links to see what the plugs would cost. Sure the plug cost is ok , but check the shipping. It was only $34 shipping to NB Canada?? I got mine at my local dealer for $14 each.

Kevin

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been using Denso iridium plugs since they came out to retrofit older Toyotas. I've pulled them after 100,000 miles of service; they were still in excellent condition!! I took my 2003 Toyota Tundra with only 30,000 miles on it in to a dealer for a FREE bumper to bumper inspection. One of the dealer suggestions was the installation of Denso iridium plugs, since back then they did not come standard. Good suggestion, but NOT for the $350 he wanted to replace 8 plugs. I bought the proper plugs from Amazon for about $55, and installed them myself, even though the originals had very low mileage.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
40 Posts
What do you want from your plugs

As I understand it, the main benefit of iridium is you can create a finer center electrode tip and therefore create a smaller "shadow" for the pressure wave that comes from the expansion of gasses as they burn as well as get finer control of where the ground arc will jump the gap and create a more consistent flame kernel.

Platinum is great for longevity but not very good for much else when it comes to electrode tips. I believe that copper plugs actually would perform better than platinum but car makers are driven to get the 90k, 100k, etc. "no tune up" feature for marketing and the performance loss is not noticeable to all but someone who has very controlled conditions and knows exactly what to look for.

This guy is spot on. Platinum and Iridium plugs last longer, but Copper plugs actually give you better bang. The hassle free lifestyle of getting 100,000kms + out of a set of plugs is what sells the Platinum and Iridium plugs.

Myself, and every racer I know runs copper plugs in our track cars (the Rav is not the track car), because you get more power each stroke, and less chance of misfire. this is because Platinum and Iridium aren't as conductive as Copper, and they're both more subjective to overheating. I use Copper NKG plugs personally.

In saying that though, every 5,000km the plugs get ripped out and replaced with the oil and filters. This effectively eliminates the price difference since I'm going through copper plugs 20 times faster than Platinum or Iridium plugs.

NOTE: A daily isn't submitted to as much punishment as a track car so copper plugs wouldn't need to be changed as frequently

PERFORMANCE: Copper > Iridium > Platinum

LONGEVITY: Platinum > Iridium > Copper

PROTIP: Brand of plug is nowhere near as important as type of plug

So the question is: Do you want a long time between changing plugs, or do you want a more powerful, consistent spark?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I ended going with the OEM Denso Iridium 3297's. Got a deal at Advance Auto which got me all 4 plugs for $22. Super cheap!! I'll be installing them tomorrow. Any advice on removing and installing the new ones? I've yet to crack into any plug work on this Rav.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denso SK20R11 Iridium long life is first choice on spec sheets, NGK is second choice. Denso / Toyota sport TRD IK20 if tuning for power.

DENSO SPARK PLUGS
I don't think I'll be tuning for power on this under powered 2.0L lol. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Rav but jeeze friggin luis, why did they put such a tiny motor in her!! Mine is a 5 speed so luckily I have the luxury of switching gears when I choose. If I had the auto I'd probably sell it for being so under powered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I ended going with the OEM Denso Iridium 3297's. Got a deal at Advance Auto which got me all 4 plugs for $22. Super cheap!! I'll be installing them tomorrow. Any advice on removing and installing the new ones? I've yet to crack into any plug work on this Rav.

1. Remove Air box
2. Remove Coil Packs
3. Remove plugs
4. Replace plugs
5. Replace Coil Packs
6. Replace Airbox

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks to info on this thread, I swapped the Iridium plugs I'd recently fitted, for twin electrode copper ones.
Any difference if any will obviously be small, but I swear it feels better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to info on this thread, I swapped the Iridium plugs I'd recently fitted, for twin electrode copper ones.
Any difference if any will obviously be small, but I swear it feels better.
I am curious to give them a try. What exactly did you get? NGK? Can you tell me the exact part number you used?
Thanks! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine's a 99 4.1 and I used the NGKs the handbook listed, BKR6EKB-11
4.2s may be different, will check the .pdf I have later.

Nope, can't find them, so you will have assume they're different and to look in your handbook or a manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts