Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just great. Just when I thought my 2020 XLE was a solid vehicle, this recall hits my email this morning. A whole whopping 9500 or so vehicles affected and my VIN falls in the range, according to my dealer. And, it's a very serious recall, too. Serious as in crash, burn and die if the entire front suspension falls apart because of lower control arms that can separate from the wheel. Of course, the dealership knows NOTHING other than the parts won't be available for a long time due to the factory being shut down. Thanks (again) CV-19. Mid-July is the earliest and they'll "call me in two weeks" ad infinitum until I can make an appointment. Great. Now my "built in Japan" RAV4 is going to have the entire front end rebuilt by local dealership monkeys who won't put in near the same about of pride, inspection, quality control at all as the Toyota factory in Japan. I'll bet mine will live at the damned dealership for something always being wrong after this repair. And, this is my only vehicle, so I'll have to keep driving this then when it's UNSAFE. If something happens, I wonder if they'll deny my claim because I continued to drive it after they knew that I knew about the recall. Wonderful. Thanks a lot, Toyota. (n)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just great. Just when I thought my 2020 XLE was a solid vehicle, this recall hits my email this morning. A whole whopping 9500 or so vehicles affected and my VIN falls in the range, according to my dealer. And, it's a very serious recall, too. Serious as in crash, burn and die if the entire front suspension falls apart because of lower control arms that can separate from the wheel. Of course, the dealership knows NOTHING other than the parts won't be available for a long time due to the factory being shut down. Thanks (again) CV-19. Mid-July is the earliest and they'll "call me in two weeks" ad infinitum until I can make an appointment. Great. Now my "built in Japan" RAV4 is going to have the entire front end rebuilt by local dealership monkeys who won't put in near the same about of pride, inspection, quality control at all as the Toyota factory in Japan. I'll bet mine will live at the damned dealership for something always being wrong after this repair. And, this is my only vehicle, so I'll have to keep driving this then when it's UNSAFE. If something happens, I wonder if they'll deny my claim because I continued to drive it after they knew that I knew about the recall. Wonderful. Thanks a lot, Toyota. (n)
You are exaggerating the seriousness of this issue for the short term! Relax!

·
Registered
105 Posts
2019 XLE 2WD. Mine was made before September 2019.
Is there info about the dates of mfrg for the affected vehicles ? Did not see in above posts.

Though the below article is from 2016 and affects earlier vehicles, Toyota's history with the RAV4 suspension is not good. Saw the article while searching for info on current recall.

Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 337,000 vehicles for a third time.

The recall involves the Toyota RAV4 SUV from the 2006-11 model years and the Lexus HS250h sedan from the 2010 model year.

Toyota first recalled the vehicles in 2012 because of a wobbly rear suspension. The company recalled them again in 2013 because the nuts it used to adjust the rear wheel alignment weren’t tightened properly.

This time, Toyota found that rust can form on the suspension arm threads if the nuts for the rear wheel alignment weren’t tightened correctly. If that happens, the suspension arm could separate from the vehicle and cause the driver to lose control.

Toyota will contact owners and replace both rear suspension arm assemblies for free.

Toyota recalls 337,000 vehicles over recurring suspension problems

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
You are exaggerating the seriousness of this issue for the short term! Relax!
You want to put your family in a vehicle where the front suspension could catastropically disassemble itself? Well, you do you...

And, short term? I wouldn't be surprised at all if this doesn't run into next year. I can easily see this getting "another two week-ed" out until the end of summer and then, guess what? Fall/winter just in time for corona round 2. And, even if it's just a regular flu season, everyone will still freak out and shut everything down again until the end of next spring. Just you watch...

·
Registered
91 Posts
They said it MAY happen during the life of the vehicle! Hell, i had the engine recall and did not go overboard. I waited until it went in last week and they verified the block casting number was not those affected. Go back to your bomb shelter and hunker down!

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They said it MAY happen during the life of the vehicle!
And, that's bad enough. Bad enough for them to issue a recall. As for hunkering down in a bomb shelter, you go stick your head in the sand and ignore any and all recalls. Again, you do you... Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Geezus. I'm seriously starting to regret this purchase. What a POS Toyota. They've royally screwed the pooch with the first 2 years of this new model. This particular recall is like playing Russian Roulette while you drive though. Not good. I agree having a bunch of newly trained dealer noobs rebuild the front end of our brand new cars is a nightmare to horrifying to even fathom. And crap Swedged, your Rav4 was built in Japan. They've even dropped QC levels there too. Rest in peace W. Edwards Deming. The Japanese have forgotten all you taught them as their company bows down to the almighty God of Profits.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not regretting mine just yet. Until today, it had been perfect in every way. Zero issues. I've had my 2020 for five months and was just commenting on how I haven't had to go back to the dealership for one even tiny thing. Well, until this recall just dropped... It is a 0.007% chance of falling into the recall range (per my phonecon with Toyota) and I just happen to be one of them. Yay...

·
Registered
605 Posts
So you got an email notice? I wonder if it's posted on our personal Toyota websites? I got nothing so far and where did you get the VIN numbers?

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you got an email notice? I wonder if it's posted on our personal Toyota websites? I got nothing so far and where did you get the VIN numbers?
Yes, I did. And, you can check your VIN on the Toyota website, same as I did. I got my VIN number right off the vehicle. As for the range, I don't care. I only care if mine falls within it, which it did.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK, I'll go a do that, but I just logged into my personal Toyota website and it says there are no recalls for my vehicle. Speaking of your personal Toyota website, your Rav4 blabs anything and everything data to Toyota. I wonder if it tattles on me if I forgot to give it a bath?

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK, I put my VIN on the Toyota Recall website and thank God, no open recalls listed. Mine was built in Canada in March of 2019, not in Japan. And here I was kicking myself for buying a Canadian built Rav4. This boo boo must have happened later on in the 2019 model year and into the 2020 model year. I wonder what the exact problem is with the Rav4's front end that could cause catastrophic failure and only affects ~ 9500 vehicles? Geez, with all the other issues I've had with my Rav4, a flaky frond end is at least not one of them... so far. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XLE 2WD (Blueprint) 2019 Rav4 XLE AWD
47 Posts
Is there info about the dates of mfrg for the affected vehicles ? Did not see in above posts.

Though the below article is from 2016 and affects earlier vehicles, Toyota's history with the RAV4 suspension is not good. Saw the article while searching for info on current recall.

Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 337,000 vehicles for a third time.

The recall involves the Toyota RAV4 SUV from the 2006-11 model years and the Lexus HS250h sedan from the 2010 model year.

Toyota first recalled the vehicles in 2012 because of a wobbly rear suspension. The company recalled them again in 2013 because the nuts it used to adjust the rear wheel alignment weren’t tightened properly.

This time, Toyota found that rust can form on the suspension arm threads if the nuts for the rear wheel alignment weren’t tightened correctly. If that happens, the suspension arm could separate from the vehicle and cause the driver to lose control.

Toyota will contact owners and replace both rear suspension arm assemblies for free.

Toyota recalls 337,000 vehicles over recurring suspension problems
Yeah there’s a thread I saw where a link was mentioned. Let me see

·
Registered
28 Posts
um... no Rav4 Hybrid for me... fuel tank, engine block and now this? I'll wait.... I wonder when all the dealers I've contacted about getting a 2020 XSE will start calling :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Geezus. I'm seriously starting to regret this purchase. What a POS Toyota. They've royally screwed the pooch with the first 2 years of this new model. This particular recall is like playing Russian Roulette while you drive though. Not good. I agree having a bunch of newly trained dealer noobs rebuild the front end of our brand new cars is a nightmare to horrifying to even fathom. And crap Swedged, your Rav4 was built in Japan. They've even dropped QC levels there too. Rest in peace W. Edwards Deming. The Japanese have forgotten all you taught them as their company bows down to the almighty God of Profits.
Let's start a contest . . . who knows who Mr Deming was. No one with Japanese ancestry can enter. EVERY Japanese knows who he was.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And crap Swedged, your Rav4 was built in Japan. They've even dropped QC levels there too.
Although Toyota is definitely responsible for this, it could be a supplier caused issue. I had to send a rifle back for a recall once due to needing a barrel replacement. Their steel tube supplier had a run that wasn't heat treated properly, so they weren't strong enough and could blow up in your face. Not really the rifle company's fault, but it WAS their responsibility to fix it, which they did. The only way the company knew was because the steel tube supplier admitted it, which was a very good CYA idea, before people started getting seriously hurt and the massive lawsuits started rolling in.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts