Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a brake job done 2 weeks ago and I guess they forgot to put the wheel lock key back in the car. Fast forward to yesterday and I had a 5 inch nail in my rear passenger side tire and took it to costco for full replacement under road hazard warranty. they could not get the damn wheel off as there was no key and it was past closing time!
This morning I had to go to Classic toyota, buy a new key and finally go to costco to hand them the new key. Waste of 1/2 a day and much aggravation and time spent on phone with dealership service centers, AAA and McGrade (the key manufacturers).

Moral of the story: whenever you get a wheel rotation, brakes worked on etc, double check your car to make sure the frickin wheel key has been returned to the tools storage area in the cargo hold before you drive off! Trust me...it will save you much aggravation!

btw, I have Michelin LTX M/S tires. The treadwear rating is so good that after 10000 miles, they still saw fit replace the tire for free rather than prorate it. Highly reccomend this tire....very quiet.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ya, in the past I had occasionally left a keys, or tuner socket in the wheel just before a test run, but luckily caught it on time. :?

Strange that Cosco did not have a master key set. I removed a tool box before buying new tires once and
my mechanic was not thrilled. :roll: It took him 15 minutes but he got them all off.

C

·
0 Posts
Had same problem. I'm considering removing the wheel locks. No one steals tires off cars in my area.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have removed my locks due to a busted key. The only thing it is good for now is to remove the only lock I have on my spare. Just enough of a tooth on it to grab that but I wouldn't trust it to remove a wheel from my RAV.

Glad to hear that the LTX are working for you "Ravster". Highly recommended tire and probably one of the best "truck" tires out there today.

Costco offers the best warranties on the tires they sell compared to the other places out there. From their mileage warranties to their "No Problem" return policies, it is one of the best places to buy tires hands down. None of this "How did you get the nail in there, was it on the road or in the yard? Oh well your screwed!" sort of deals. No questions asked. Its damaged.....No problem we'll make it right......seems to be the philosophy there.

Go there to see for yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm a loyal member and a believer in the service there.

Later. M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts