Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nitrogen Tire Technology has been around for forty years. Prmarily used in the Aerospace , Commercial Trucking and Racing industries beacuse of the expense. Recently Costco Wholesale has aquired all new technology that makes Nitrogen available to everyone (members that is). Costco is one of the first with the technology to make putting nitrogen in all tires affordable. The benefits of having Nitrogen in your tires are:
1. It doesn't leak out of your tires the same way regular compressed air does. (3-5psi/month)
2. Nitrogen will maintain a more constant presure when your tires heat up especialy if you live in extreme hot climates. This is safer for you because tires that are cooler stay together longer. (no blow-outs from excessive heat build-up). On the other hand those of us that live in extreme cold for a few winter months will not experience a drop in presure during this period.(better fuel economy)
3. No moisture in Nitrogen. This means your tires will not have that puddle of water in them as most do that are filled with compressed air. This will give more acurate balancing, prolonged tire life and in sub zero temps your valves won't freeze and cause loss of presure due to the presence of moisture.
What is notrogen and where does it come from?
Well it is in the air that we breath. It helps keep us alive and all living things grow. It is collected by "Nitrogen gererators" and stored in a tank until ready to use. This is all a part of the systems that Costco has, each warehouse has one. Nitrogen is a dry inert gas and the molicules are larger than combined air molicules so they don't bleed through rubber the same as air.
Maintaining a constant air presure will give you better fuel mileage longer tire wear and provide safety to all around you.
All this comes at a cost of "0" "zip" "nada". Its free to all members of Costco (Costco wholesale). I must say it works awesome and in the winter your tires don't have that noticable sag where they look almost flat at -30. Plus on road trips they will stay cooler and maintain set presures so your tire stays flat on the road and keeps wear even across the tread. You avoid wearing out the center of your tires caused by over-inflation.(which happens also as a result of excessive heat build-up)
I know its a lot of info but I'm a huge advocate of tire presures because most cars I deal with have under inflated tires by as much as 80% and over inflated tires by as much as 100% (double). Very dangerous either way. Some people spend more time shining their tires than they do checking to see if they are safe.
This many times leads to a great looking set of tires (or three) off in the ditch atached to what used to be a Rav 4.
Stay safe out there. Check your presure once a month at least and before every long highway trip. Cheers. M. :wink:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe people are still over inflating their tires. Hello the sticker on your Rav is there for a reason! Get with the program people. Staying alive is the most impotant thing. Afterall if your dead you can no longer driver your Rav. Pitty. M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A friend of mine had nitrogen in his cars tyres and it made absolutely no difference. He went back to free air when he changed his tyres and rims. Wheels magazine in Oz does an annual tyre test. In this years test they tested tyres with and without nitrogen and there was no noticable difference. Normal air/oxygen contains around 88% nitrogen anyway so theres no need to pay for it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
70% nitrogen and a whole lot of moisture. Right-a-way you wouldn't notice it except for the lack of temperature spike when on a long trip. Not having to add "air" all the time is a bonus and in the cold winters its worth it because your valves won't freeze open. But I guess you don't have that problem there. Who said anything about paying for it? Its free at Costco.

·
Registered
682 Posts
no such thing as costco in oz (whatever that is). u have to pay for nitrogen in your tyres. btw we were both wrong about nitrogen percentage in oxygen (it's more like 80%).

A

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
70% nitrogen and a whole lot of moisture. Right-a-way you wouldn't notice it except for the lack of temperature spike when on a long trip.
So are you saying that nitrogen, unlike air does not follow boyles law? All gasses expand/contract with temperature. The gas turning in the wheel does not create the temperature, it is rather the friction of the tyres on teh road and the constant flexing of the rubber as the tyre revolves. I doubt that nitrogen will reduce any of these you will still get a temperature spike and thanks to Mr Boyle you will get a pressure spike associated with the temperature spike.

Not having to add "air" all the time is a bonus
Dont believe that for a minute. The more 'natural' a gass is the more difficult it is to keep it contained. Hydrogen kept in steel cylinders eventually diffuses through the metal over time! This is because there are gaps in the metal at the atomic level and hydrogen atoms being small slowly make it through the metal. Nitrogen would be no different, only having larger atmos would take longer (we are talking in the order of 10 to 100's of years here).
Air is a mixture of mainly nitrogen, oyxgen, some hydrogen and as you mentioned water vapour (and a lot of other trace elements). Being such it has even bigger atoms than nitrogen and hence is less likely to diffuse out of a tyre.

If water vapour is really a concern then ask any mate of yours that dives to use his air cylinder to pump up your tyres. There is near zero air content in the air in a scuba cylinder.

and in the cold winters its worth it because your valves won't freeze open.
First bit of info that makes scientific sense. Yes nitrogen would not cause your valves to freeze internally.

Who said anything about paying for it? Its free at Costco.
That's just the bait once you're hooked the payments start!

As you can see from my above post I also think this whole nitrogen in tyres stuff is a lot of marketing bull. The pressure debate can be easily argued against using simple gas physics.

Only advantage I can see is in the event of an emergency. In the two industries mentioned above the risk of fire is high. Nitrogen, being an inert gas will not cause any problems like exploding or combusting etc...

[edit] - upon further pondering turns out I was wrong. The law in question is not Boyles, but rather Gay Lussac's Law. Since boyle's law is about a gas under constant temperature. Either way it boils down to the same thing!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The technology has been around for 40 years. Tried tested and proved over and over in the aerospace and racing industries. I'll let the scientists at NASA and from around the world deal with the technical stuff. Maybe you could contact them with your findings on the negitive effects of Nitrogen Tire Inflation. I'm sure they would be very interested in what you have to say.

Yes all gas expands and contracts but not in the same volume or at the same temperatures. Nitrogen will expand less by itself than everyday compressed air.

As I said one of the biggest advantages here in Canada is that in the winter your valves won't be effected by water freezing inside your tires.

Ever breakdown a tire and find a large puddle of water inside of it? A lot of crappy garages or the air hose on the side of a gas station will not have an inline water separator. This will allow water to be blown directly into your tires. Bad for the winter and bad for the balance of your tires anytime of the year.

These are things that you don't have to worry about when you get nitrogen put in.

The free thing is just that. Free. Yes. FREE!

No hidden costs. Nada. Every member of Costco can have it free.

Sorry there is no Costco in your area yet, but I'm sure there will be soon. You'll see.

I use it. I find that it works great. I deal with 100's of cars everyday that have it and everyone has only positive things to say about it.

Its only people who don't know enough about it or are not familiar with the use of it that have a negitive spin on it.

I say If it doesn't cost you anything DO IT.

My whole reason behind sharing this info in the first place was to give others info on other ways to take care of their tires. This does this by providing a more consistent presure year-round. Ask the experts.

Bottom line here is Check your air presure often and stay safe out there. M. out.

A

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
The technology has been around for 40 years. Tried tested and proved over and over in the aerospace and racing industries.
Ok I admit it has been around, but you dont say what it has proved to do. As I said it might be more so a fire safety thing than anything else. The aerospace industry has also been using triple redundancy for just as long but I dont see everyone rushing about to add another two engines to their cars!

Yes all gas expands and contracts but not in the same volume or at the same temperatures. Nitrogen will expand less by itself than everyday compressed air.
I suggest you talk to your scinetist friends. ALL gasses follow the ideal gass law PV=nRT. There are slight deviations from this with different gasses, but normally at the temperature and pressure extremes where the gasses start to become liquids and solids.

In a type V is a constant, R is a constant as defined by the formula, n is the number of moles of gass (or atoms if you like) which also remains constant. Thus we find that Pressure is directly proportional to temperature in ALL gasses under constant volume. If you have one that behaves differently then stand in line for that nobel peace prize! As I said some gasses deviate slightly but it is not enough to be significant. However point is that if temp goes up pressure always wil (unless you have a leak or really flexable tyres that allow V to change!

As I said one of the biggest advantages here in Canada is that in the winter your valves won't be effected by water freezing inside your tires.
And I agreed on that point!

Ever breakdown a tire and find a large puddle of water inside of it? A lot of crappy garages or the air hose on the side of a gas station will not have an inline water separator. This will allow water to be blown directly into your tires. Bad for the winter and bad for the balance of your tires anytime of the year.
Cant say I ever saw a large puddle of water. Yeah maybe a bit of moisture but that is it. To get a large puddle you must be doing one of two things:

1. Mistaking the air hose at tha garage for the water tap.
2. Filling up with air so many times that a large amount of water is being retained. I'd say here water in your tyres is the least of your worries and more than likely the large leak causing the constant filling is the cause.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Was reading through my wife's "Real Living" magazine a few months ago. I was shocked to find an article of filling tires that advocated filling it to the pressure listed on the tire.

I wrote the editors an email and explained that the number on the tire is the maximum psi and you absolutely should not fill to that level. You should instead use the psi listed on the sticker in the door jamb or your user's manual. They replied that their "experts" told them the pressure listed on the tire was fine. :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tell you what one scientist who works for the discovery channel says and you say its a load of crap.

Sounds typical to me about the type person you are.

Its not accurate unless its you bringing it to the table.

I've been through endless seminars and training courses on this subject and the discovery channel thing was just icing on the cake to prove my point.

If your were a "science oriented" person you would understand the effect of positive presure Nitrogen on the inside of the tire and the benefits to the entire tire not just the inside. As well as the vortex created when checking your presure or letting out presure from your tire and the fact that it carries with it particles that get trapped in your valve "over time" which will have an effect on the functionallity of the valve itself.

But since it is not you that has signed off on this information, everything I have said is not scientifically accurate. Oh well. I guess everything I have learned I should have learned from you.

M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts