Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 4door auto 2.0l AWD.
So hey first post lol so it's 96,000 miles on it and recently with the cold weather I noticed when I start it up and drive, I don't have 4th gear.
It's takes a bit like after it's warmed up for it to work.
I tested it by going 55mph and I was at 3k Rpms and I clicked the over drive button on and off and nothing changed. But after a bit of a drive 4th would finally work and drop down to 2,100rpm.
I recently replaced the fluid after this occurred and nothing changed. but not the filter. It's properly filled and not low.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Noticed that myself. It's intentional, at least for the first mile or two. Mine doesn't do it after being parked in the insulated garage overnight, but does after leaving work after a long, cold day.

If longer, did you use the correct fluid, and is it full? You definitely should have replaced the filter and pan gasket; consider doing that ASAP.

Warm up the car for a couple of minutes before taking off?

Eventually, all transmissions require rebuilds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, that’s an intentional feature on Toyota’s (probably other mfgs do it too, idk). It’s tied into the coolant temp. No overdrive until the temp hits something like 120-140°F. Watch your temp guage and see if it upshifts just around the time the needle starts to climb. On the newer Toyotas that have idiot lights in place of a temp gauge, I’ve observed that the overdrive kicks in at the same time the blue (cold) temp light turns off.

I’m sure there are threads here about getting faster warm up times. Couple things to consider are an engine block heater, as well as partially blocking the radiator if temps are very low in your area.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Another affirmation. I watched it carefully this morning. Left the house at 24°F right to the freeway. The transmission did not shift into overdrive until the engine temp went into the warm zone. Not hot, just warm. Normal behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts