Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who else out there finds it odd that Toyota is obviously going upscale with the new Rav, and here in Canada the base model is over 28 grand with the base v6 at over 30, yet they still put butt ugly steel wheels on them(I still have these as winter wheels on my 02). Some nice simple alloys might suit the image and the price a bit better.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 02 came with steel wheels, but it was almost $4000 less than the new one. I now use them as my winter wheels(they look like hell after one or two winters anyway) I can't think of any reason to have steel wheels instead of alloys other than price(if anyine can think of an advantage let me know), and at this price point I think it can be expected to have some nice alloy wheels.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd hafta agree with that!!!! :roll: .....and the steelies are ugly compared to the Highlander's.......IMHO
Makes me feel even better about buying the '05 Chili+...... :wink:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I thought the highlander and the Rav4 has the same steel wheels?? no?

Bluenoser said:
I'd hafta agree with that!!!! :roll: .....and the steelies are ugly compared to the Highlander's.......IMHO
Makes me feel even better about buying the '05 Chili+...... :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously though, do canadians always complain this much? I will pay 45k for my Rav4, should I go and post 300 posts how life is unfair to us Europeans? :).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, but you also have the option of a diesel, ha ha, but no matter where you are the rav is not a bargain basement el cheapo ride, alloys would be nice

·
Registered
420 Posts
At least in California, 2006 come with alloys standard, and you have to pay $120 for the steel wheels. Mind though, the $120 buy you a 5-wheel setup, with a full-size spare, so it's a bargain. The idea is, the 4x4 minded people really need a) steel, b) the 5th wheel. All the rest get the OEM alloys, which look nice, I have to admit. They are not in pseudo-racer style at all. However, I just cannot bring myself to trust the allow wheels off-road (I understand that I'm being irrational here).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not sure about this.....but I've heard that steel wheels could flex more and don't crack as easily as alloy wheels under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
that is correct. But we are talking EXTREME conditions... condirions that 99.999% will never see

Rav4WD said:
I am not sure about this.....but I've heard that steel wheels could flex more and don't crack as easily as alloy wheels under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
American roads are not very good sometimes. When C&D gave Scion xB for 6-month testing to two musicians, they installed PIAA alloy wheels. Then they shattered one of them in a pothole at a South Carolina freeway. I'm sure it was exciting. Certainly a low profile tyre contributed to it, and RAV4 stock alloys are not for low profile tyres. But still, it's not impossible to crack one if you try hard enough.

Also, I bought the 4x4 version with full intention of using it. I'll post some pics soon.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As good as the Rav is as an AWD vehicle(I think the best compromise for most people) It is certainly not made for the kind of "off roading" that will destroy a good qualty set of alloys, unless you are talking about scratches, in which case, the painted steel wheels will scratch too.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the base model and am not overly impressed with not getting alloy wheels either. My 05 sport model that I just traded had the alloys and I am missing them but i was cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money on alloys. I am thinking about getting these:
http://www.autoamenity.com/KartList/IMP-42.htm

They are wheelskins that fit like a glove over the rims and makes it look like you have rims. What do you guys think?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those look like they might be pretty good looking, and the price is right. i would rather have real alloys, but then again I would also like an RX350.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now those would certainly add some blink to my Highlander steelies for the snows..... 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts