Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new on this forum. I am currently in the process of buying a Rav4 Hybrid in the Netherlands. Personally I'm not impressed about the standard nav system in the RAV4, however nowadays all manufacturers offer Android Auto or Apple Carplay to use google maps / waze in the car....but...not Toyota.

I just received a message from the dealer, that both Android Auto and Apple Carplay are not active in Europe.... Does anyone know more about this? Any plans. To my understanding it should be just a software update...

If I read this forum Apple Carplay is possible in the RAV4 in the states.... What I also heard is that the new Aygo will have both Android Auto and Apple Carplay activated....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Stefzone,

Welcome to the RAV4World forum, where you'll find more Dutch members. ;-)

I'm a bit surpriced to read your story, that Toyota doesn't implement Carplay/Android Auto in EU Toyota's...
This Dutch newspaper even wrote that Android Auto will followup CarPlay soon in Totota automotive media.

If I should believe the Dutch Toyota website, the small AYGO model is already equiped with Apple's Carplay, even in The Nederlands... So why not the other new Toyot models then..? You could contact the Dutch Toyota main office, and ask them about the Carplay/Android Auto implementation forecast for the EU/The Netherlands. And how they expexct this to happen, by a software update, or in new headunits only.

What I've read, is that Toyota Japan tried to discard Apple and Android, as they find them to influential in the automotive market. Toyota wants to stick to their own (expensive) automotive media solutions. Maybe this is the reason why Toyota is quite late with implementing both platforms as yet, maybe under pressure of their marketing department.
After reading some news about this issue, I can only say that I expect a full roll out of Apple's CarPlay and Android's Auto in the EU around 2020. Maybe the new models will be equipped with this headunit option, and older models with appropriate (and most expensive) car media might also get this software update.

In the mean time you could find out if it's possible to mirror you phone's screen on to the RAV4 headunit. Maybe Toyota can supply or even build in a certain USB/Lighting cable which gives this possibility.
We own a RAV 4.3 and I've built in a Kenwood 2DIN radio with DAB+ and CarPlay/Android Auto software. Together with a matching dashboard frame this is the best solution for a car from the ages of Windows 2000.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hallo landgenoot (hi there).
There is a possibility to use Mirrorlink (i saw the option in the multimedia menu while driving a test run). AA and Carplay not available as stated before. Policy- and license issue i presume...

Veel plezier op het forum / Have fun on the forum!

RvJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and good to see so many dutchies.
I received the information from the dealer which is basically the importer for toyota in netherlands, so i think registering this issue at klantenservice will not help. The dealer explained this issue is now discussed with Toyota Europe. But I will give it a shot.

Indeed it is strange to see all kind of news popping up around android auto and carplay for other toyota types (recently announced) but not for the rav4 which is just on the market a few weeks now.

Regarding Mirrorlink, what can we do with this functionality? Is it then possible to port certain phone apps to the toyota multi media system? Curious if someone of this forum can explain if and how this is working on the rav4 2019!

Once again thanks all and hope to hear more. I will also update you on the outcome of registering this issue at klantenservice.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Regarding Mirrorlink, what can we do with this functionality? Is it then possible to port certain phone apps to the toyota multi media system? Curious if someone of this forum can explain if and how this is working on the rav4 2019!

Once again thanks all and hope to hear more. I will also update you on the outcome of registering this issue at klantenservice.
You’re welcome! And please keep us posted about the outcome via Toyota customer service.

About the feature Mirrorlink, this is an option to make the RAV4 radio screen your smartphone’s second screen.
Al you see on your smartphone’s screen will be displayed on the radio screen, like a “mirror”.
Do not know if this also counts for the audio part. Maybe that part needs to be done via a separate Audio In.

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
Rough translation is:
European engine Toyota and gables

we hope to be able to offer android auto/ apple car play the end of 2020 if you would like to have a friendly cellphone
No mention of Rav4, nothing we didn't already know, Rav4 isn't one of the vehicles Toyota has stated will have AA, but we can always hope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You’re welcome! And please keep us posted about the outcome via Toyota customer service.

About the feature Mirrorlink, this is an option to make the RAV4 radio screen your smartphone’s second screen.
Al you see on your smartphone’s screen will be displayed on the radio screen, like a “mirror”.
Do not know if this also counts for the audio part. Maybe that part needs to be done via a separate Audio In.
Hi. I'm based in Ireland. I was never told anything about Carplay not being available in Europe, when I purchased the vehicle. However, in fairness, I never asked.

I haven't tested Carplay yet, to see if it's working or not, as I currently own an Android phone. I'll wait till the weekend and borrow an iPhone and report back.

I've tried the mirrorlink on my 2019 HV. It works and mirrors both screen and audio. However, it is still quite useless, as it only mirrors the screen while the gear is in P. As soon as you shift the gear, you will continue to get the audio, but the screen mirroring will go. You get a notification stating that screen mirroring is not allowed while driving!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes i believe you right away... But in Europe it's not implemented, because we don't have Entune. There is another system (Panasonic) in our head unit...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes i believe you right away... But in Europe it's not implemented, because we don't have Entune. There is another system (Panasonic) in our head unit...
So then it is different hardware as well I guess? That gives small chances to get Android Auto just by updating software. This together with high road noise might be why I'm not buy the car. I will go for another test drive and see.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just found this, but it's only in the US I guess
The plot thickens...

I'm gonna make a guess that the head unit in the TRD packages will have the same Entune version as the rest of the Rav4's in the US, so if this is at all accurate there shouldn't be a reason Android Auto shouldn't come with the rest of the Rav4 lineup for the 2020MY. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I received the information from the dealer which is basically the importer for toyota in netherlands, so i think registering this issue at klantenservice will not help. The dealer explained this issue is now discussed with Toyota Europe. But I will give it a shot.

Indeed it is strange to see all kind of news popping up around android auto and carplay for other toyota types (recently announced) but not for the rav4 which is just on the market a few weeks now.

Any news form Toyota The Netherlands or EU in the mean time?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nope... Nothing to report. In neither of the demo's is anything but Mirrorlink available up to today. The i-AWD trims aren't available yet, but that shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today my seller here in Sweden told me that Android Auto will arrive in the late 2020. Today's Touch 2 will probably not be possible to upgrade with AA.
There is a aftermarket solution though, it brings Carplay & AA to the Rav4 2019. if I buy Rav4 I will order it directly. I received the following answer from the maker in Korea today:
"Thank you very much for your inquiry on our product Apple CarPlay OEM Retrofit Kit for Toyota.
Please find attached file which fits for the New Toyota Rav4 with Touch N Go Type 2 Radio.
There are 3 different type of radio manufacturer all over the world so you must order the right model for your radio, price of the full kit is 388USD."

Screenshot is from the attached file.

http://www.nvconnect.co.kr/

1 - 20 of 149 Posts