Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAV4H, the CD might be obsolete, but how did they think when they made a soundsystem that can't read FLAC from a USB stick? Is MP3 (lossy) the only format or can it support any lossless? I have my favorite CDs on FLAC for my SONY Z5P but have not used MP3 for years.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It plays WMA also.
Variable bitrate MP3 is supported, so you can make some very good sounding MP3 with max quality settings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll try converting to WMA.
Seems hard to find useful converter FLAC to WMA Lossless. Does CD to FLAC with SONYs MediaGo, might have to go back flippin the discs again just to convert to a lower quality format, didn't really think getting a newer car would be this cumbersome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(logic)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
dBpoweramp (Music Converter & CD Ripper) is about as painless as it gets. It includes a batch converter that can crunch through thousands and thousands of files and preserve the folder structures, album art and tags. The CD ripper tool is also one of the best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dBp didn't have codex for WMA, (their help states a way to remedy that), used Freemake instead but my R4H couldn't read WMA, it saw the files but was silent. Tried Apple-lossless M4A, same with that format, no sound. Gave up and went back to MP3 on the USBstick. Can use bluetooth from the FLAC files in my Z5P phone, but there are another problem; the cars phone tray's way to small. Well back to square one...

·
Registered
846 Posts
dBp didn't have codex for WMA, (their help states a way to remedy that), used Freemake instead but my R4H couldn't read WMA, it saw the files but was silent. Tried Apple-lossless M4A, same with that format, no sound. Gave up and went back to MP3 on the USBstick. Can use bluetooth from the FLAC files in my Z5P phone, but there are another problem; the cars phone tray's way to small. Well back to square one...
You can install the codec separately:
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

And there's the 21 day trial period.

Seems like our 11 Accord doesn't like the LC AAC but was okay with the HE AAC Encoder/Codex. You might want to try that. It wouldn't be lossless but maybe it will be better than MP3's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always hear everyone complaining that the 2016 Rav doesn't have a CD player.
Is Australia really the only place where Ravs came with CD players in 2016?

Pic Related

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can install the codec separately:
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

And there's the 21 day trial period.

Seems like our 11 Accord doesn't like the LC AAC but was okay with the HE AAC Encoder/Codex. You might want to try that. It wouldn't be lossless but maybe it will be better than MP3's.
Both LC and HE AAC's work on our RAV4 Hybrid.

Didn't know we have a microsd slot too while looking at the buttons on right side of the display.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll second the suggestion for using dbpoweramp. I use that tool for ripping all my CD's directly to FLAC (with a .cue file), and then converting the FLAC files to whatever format I want.

As well, if you're going to re-rip everything, I'd suggest having dbpoweramp's ripper tool also create .CUE files. With the FLAC's and .CUE files, you can easily re-create the original audio CD image to burn on a CDR for additional backup, or even mount directly as if it were an inserted CD (using a tool such as "DAEMON Tools Lite".)

Jumping back on topic, I don't mind the loss of the CD drive in the car. I keep several thousand AAC compressed tracks of music stored on a 64GB ipod touch (4th gen) and plugged into my car all the time. With the ipod plugged into USB, instead of a simple USB thumb drive, I get full album artwork, playlists, etc - and the audio quality is better than bluetooth. If 64GB isn't enough, I think some of the newer generation ipod touches have capacities up to 128GB (though I've never tested any ipod generation newer than 4th.)

If you aren't happy with any lossy codec, you can also use apple's lossless codec with an ipod plugged into the car's USB port.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got WMA to work, thankyou for the links rdgrimes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which setting did you choose Jarl? I saw four WMA types. I guess WMA is best for quality so I might do a set i WMA.

Thanks.
Windows Media Audio 9.2
192kbps 44kHz 2-pass VBR
High Quality (Lossy)

Would rather use FLAC but the japanese might not be that technically advanced afterall, so they don't give us that choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Both LC and HE AAC's work on our RAV4 Hybrid.

Didn't know we have a microsd slot too while looking at the buttons on right side of the display.
I'm pretty sure that microSD slot has a card with the maps and other settings, and you shouldn't mess with it. The dealer told me it's something like $700 to replace it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm pretty sure that microSD slot has a card with the maps and other settings, and you shouldn't mess with it. The dealer told me it's something like $700 to replace it.
Yeah, I read something about that for 2013 Limited's. I'm not going to touch the microsd slot/compartment. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts