Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

No crank, no start, yes everything else.

822 36
Hello everyone, I have a puzzle for you, you like puzzles right?

Two days ago I drove from San Diego to LA to pick up a friend from the airport, I'm a nice guy, what can I say. I hadn't taken the rav out all that much the two weeks prior but at least once a week for a couple errands here and there. In any case, the drive to the airport waiting for about an hour and then trip back was uneventful. The next morning my wife wakes me up at about 0530 to let me know that her car isn't starting. The car is in our garage and the garage is about 55 degrees. I'll condense:

Car dash says "not ready to drive" and it won't crank with either key.
I tried jumping it but no joy.
The voltage from the battery is 12.7 with no crank and 12.2 with crank.
The antitheft light goes out after I put the key in.
When I move the shifter the camera and screen turn on when in "R" and the center console says "R"
When I have it in "D" the center console says "D".
When I have it in "N" the center console says "N" and "Not ready to drive" and won't crank or start in neutral. (I have the brake pedal pushed down and e-brake on in all instances)
I checked the fuses with a fuse tester under under the driver seat and the hood, they're all good.
I checked the relays by swapping them in place of the horn relay; they are good.
I checked the EFI relays by putting a 9v battery across the coil and measuring resistance across the other leads. Open with no power, 0.1 ohms with power.
I checked the power to the relays and those are 12 V to ground on one leg.
I removed the starter relay and jumped it with a 12g wire and the engine starts to crank, but won't turn over. (it's out of warranty [by just 6k miles] anyway).
We have the extended service plan so when I'm deployed my wife can just take it to the dealer to get the oil and other stuff taken care of. It doesn't cover this though.

Is there anything else I should check? I'm really loathe to have roadside pick it up and take to stealership I got it from. Thanks gents and ladies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,982 Posts
When I have it in "N" the center console says "N" and "Not ready to drive" and won't crank or start in neutral. (I have the brake pedal pushed down and e-brake on in all instances)
First, what is your year and model and ICE or hybrid? Second, what happens when you try to start when in "P" Park--instead of "N" Neutral? Third, if you have an OBD2 scanner are you getting any DTC codes?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Oh shoot, can't believe I missed that. 2019, rav4, LE. ICE.
When I have it in P the dash says "not ready to drive".
I do have an od2 reader and nothing is found when I scan. View attachment 189772
It may be that your OBD2 scanner is not sophisticated enough to scan for codes in the trans, ABS system, or other malfunctions that could result in your described no start condition. The dealer Techstream could find ALL DTCs. I suspect there is some kind of malfunction in the trans and brake interlock switch. I have never read about anyone having an issue with this in the 5th gen and have never seen a picture of the switch or info on where it is and I don't know whether the 5th gen actually HAS a separate switch or whether this function is controlled by the ECM. However I have read about it malfunctioning in Jeeps and other cars. The interlock switch is a safety device that prevents you from starting a car unless it is in Park or Neutral and simultaneously pressing the brake pedal--if it craps out your car won't start. In a worst case scenario your RAV's ECM (Engine Control Module) has failed meaning a big bucks repair--but again I have not read about anyone having this occur in the 5th gen RAV or 8th gen Camry. Since you are out of warranty and most likely are going to have to get your RAV flatbedded to a dealer and pay for a diagnosis and repair--which will easily cost several hundred dollars-- I would try disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables and let it set for at least an hour or more to discharge any capacitors, then reconnect the battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
it's usually a dead battery
The voltage from the battery is 12.7 with no crank and 12.2 with crank.
Car dash says "not ready to drive"
I don't think it's your battery. 12.7 volts is enough to start. Also you don't get the "not ready to drive message" with a weak battery--you would be getting various bogus PCS, EPB and other warnings. You have a key start LE. If you are lucky it may be that the actual ignition lock (where you insert the key) has failed. This will be a few hundred bucks to fix but not as much as other malfunctions that result in a no start condition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's your battery. 12.7 volts is enough to start. Also you don't get the "not ready to drive message" with a weak battery--you would be getting various bogus PCS, EPB and other warnings. You have a key start LE. If you are lucky it may be that the actual ignition lock (where you insert the key) has failed. This will be a few hundred bucks to fix but not as much as other malfunctions that result in a no start condition.
You are correct. I just got back from O'reilly's and they said it tested fine and even charged it up a bit. Still nothing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may be that your OBD2 scanner is not sophisticated enough to scan for codes in the trans, ABS system, or other malfunctions that could result in your described no start condition. The dealer Techstream could find ALL DTCs. I suspect there is some kind of malfunction in the trans and brake interlock switch. I have never read about anyone having an issue with this in the 5th gen and have never seen a picture of the switch or info on where it is and I don't know whether the 5th gen actually HAS a separate switch or whether this function is controlled by the ECM. However I have read about it malfunctioning in Jeeps and other cars. The interlock switch is a safety device that prevents you from starting a car unless it is in Park or Neutral and simultaneously pressing the brake pedal--if it craps out your car won't start. In a worst case scenario your RAV's ECM (Engine Control Module) has failed meaning a big bucks repair--but again I have not read about anyone having this occur in the 5th gen RAV or 8th gen Camry. Since you are out of warranty and most likely are going to have to get your RAV flatbedded to a dealer and pay for a diagnosis and repair--which will easily cost several hundred dollars-- I would try disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables and let it set for at least an hour or more to discharge any capacitors, then reconnect the battery and see what happens.
You mean my $18 scanner from China isn't up to par? Drats. I'm going to swing by O'reilly's and rent their scanner and see what I see. I live in California at the moment and if I remember correctly they may not allow that. I'm going to go pick up a better one from a family member and hopefully that will be a better scanner. I left the battery at car parts store over night so all the caps had enough time to discharge. Still the same message this morning after I connected it.

I was thinking something along those same lines as having a signal path that isn't being met. Can I disconnect the cables to the computer without any issues? I want to try and reseat the cables to the computer and the box next to the fuse box to see if that does anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can find it in the navigation system.
Oh so the little triangle with an exclamation point? The far right icon in the dash? Nothing there. It won't let me scroll once I select it. Of note I did find a way to get to a service screen in the cabin computer. The vehicle in the video was working well and had the left part of the screen with two message saying those module were ok. I have something on the far right that I'm not sure is good or bad. I'm still looking it up, but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone.
Gadget Rectangle Font Auto part Display device

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh so the little triangle with an exclamation point? The far right icon in the dash? Nothing there. It won't let me scroll once I select it. Of note I did find a way to get to a service screen in the cabin computer. The vehicle in the video was working well and had the left part of the screen with two message saying those module were ok. I have something on the far right that I'm not sure is good or bad. I'm still looking it up, but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone.
View attachment 189783
That is in the service menu. What I'm asking is not on it. Its something like as shown. If you click any of the entry you will get a detail of what it is. The detail also might contain the DTC code.
Gadget Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was, but I think my wife took it to get it replaced while I was deployed.

I found the vehicle alert history and lo and behold. Gadget Rectangle Flat panel display Font Display device

I also jumped the starter relay, this time with the key in the ignition on position and it cranked and started. But it sounds weird.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you know of a way or if an obd2 scanner can run techstream? Would love to minimize gadgets I need. Also, I downloaded toyosys from the app store and it displays p26ca code. No description and no description anywhere on the net.
Rectangle Font Magenta Brand Pattern

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think may be on to something but hopefully someone here can confirm or deny. When I view the live status of the engine, the auto trans neut drive sensor reads neutral in park, drive in reverse, neutral in neutral, and drive in drive.

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Number

1 - 20 of 37 Posts