Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to forum. Anytime I Google anything about my rav I end up here. So might as well make an account. My 97 rav4 has no dash lights (cluster, heater controls). It is missing the dimmer switch so I figured that must be my problem. I tried bypassing it but can't find any info on doing that specifically on a rav. To the dimmer there are 3 wires. One black/white, one green, one green/white. I'm color blind but I think that's what I'm seeing lol. I tried connecting green+ green/white. Tried grounding the green/white. Tried running a power wire from my cigg lighter as a test and it just blows the cigg lighter fuse. No luck. I'm pretty sure I've tested every possible option with these wires and nothing is giving me dash lights. All lights on car work. Everything works in cluster except the illumination. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
According to the wiring diagram there should be a green wire and 2 Black/White wires connected to the rheostat. Connecting the 2 black/white wires to each other, should illuminate all the lights at full brightness. This circuit is powered by the TAIL fuse. If your taillights are working you can assume the fuse is OK.

Are all your switches (e.g. hazard switch, defogger switch, clock, etc) back-lighting off ,as well as the gauge cluster?.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I'll check tail fuse as well. Haven't checked it. Yes all of those things are off. There is definitely a green wire. Definitely a black and white wire. But the other one looks to be white and green. I could be wrong tho as I'm color blind. But I'm 90% sure it's white with a colored stripe. Green or red.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went out and checked and tail fuse was burnt out. I guess my playing with different wire combos burnt it out. Wired the white and black. And white and green? Wires together. Replaced burnt fuse and they work!! Thanks a lot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts