Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, I bought a 2000 1st gen RAV4 4 3 months ago and ran great. Today I get in and have no dash light's or gauges,tail lights, radio, power window's, or shifter lock! I checked all the fuses and they were good, has anyone seen this problem before and if so can you give me a clue what's wrong and where?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Did you recently use jumper cables on the vehicle? This sounds like the results when somebody reverses polarity on the cables when doing a jump start. It would be one of the main fuses or fusible links under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope my daughter was driving it, she shut it off got out, got back in and nothing. She restarted it 3 times then finally the gauges came back on but O/D OFF light stood on and got it home and she mention's she heard a popping noise when the gauges started working again.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It sounds like the 100 amp "ALT" fusible link is open. The fusible links are located in the "Fusible Link Block" located under the hood on the right side of the engine compartment near the battery.

This thread has a lot of diagrams that will help you locate the fusible link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it and fixed it!! Well I called a guy who knew more about this stuff than me and after some poking, prodding, and getting a good zap from an energized relay, we found it was a couple of things. In the fuse box in the engine bay we had to replace the H-LP relay, the reddish brown one, it was discolored and was the source of the "popping" noise, things started to work but kinda of funny so we started to look for what was the cause, it turned out it was the fuse box connected to the battery, there is a wire that bolts into the fuse block underneath and the screw/bolt had backed out somehow, I guess the intermittent contact was causing the short that caused the relay to go bad. Found a screw that fit the hole and threads, tightened it down and it all came back to life!!! I would have never have thought to look under the fuse block because none of the fuses had blown, but then I don't know wiring all that well, just happy it all works now :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Found it and fixed it!! Well I called a guy who knew more about this stuff than me and after some poking, prodding, and getting a good zap from an energized relay, we found it was a couple of things. In the fuse box in the engine bay we had to replace the H-LP relay,
Glad you got it working, but the H-LP relay is only used to send power to the Head Lamps when you operate the interior switch. You may have heard it popping if you had left the headlight switch in the ON position. The relay would click as you wiggled the loose connection you found.

Also you would not get a ZAP from anything in a 12 volt circuit. You may have just felt the vibration from the relay operating.

Probably the bolt that you replaced was holding the ALT fusible link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts