Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked all 4.4 Mechanical pages, didn't find any DIY Transmission fluid change guide.
Did you guys all changed Transmission fluid at the dealer? or just leave it(since it should be a lifetime fluid)?

If someone changed their Transmission fluid at the dealer. Can you share your mileage when changing and how much does it cost.

I'm hitting 65000 miles on my 2013 4.4 right now. Do I need a Transmission fluid change?

Thank you!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am doing mine when I have time. I just bought a 2014 Rav4 AWD 19,555 miles for my wife and already installed a Tork Lift Central hidden hitch 2 days ago and just received my wiring from eTrailer today. I also changed my transfer case and rear diff while doing the hitch. I used Redline 75w 85 that Toyota specs out. The diff was somewhat dark like tea and transfer case had a hint of darkness. I will do a drain and fill again to the rear diff in 2 weeks. The rear diff has clutch plates so I will change that out every 10,000 miles. I could not do both the diff and transfer case on 1 qt. I use 4 to 5 oz of second qt.

Below I had a very long winded post on what I am going to do for my tranny change. I may go with WS or Amsoil AFT. I am leaning to Amsoil because it is better ATF. Rumor has it WS could be a semi synthetic or lower grade synthetic. If I end up installing a trans cooler it will be Amsoil because Toyota will use the cooler against me if I have trans issue so might as well run good trans fluid then.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126...-transmission-oil-level-tool.html#post2199498

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you changed transfer case and rear diff, and planning to change transmission fluid at 20k miles because of towing? My 2013 is mostly highway miles without towing or heavy load. Do you think I should change transmission fluid?

I just read your post. I live in apartment, and do my maintenance in the parking lot. It seems hard for me to control the temperature. Now my question may focus on do I need a transmission fluid change at this mileage? and do I have to go to dealer to do it, or the normal oil change shop can do it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes I personally think you need to change it at 65,000. I won't let any ATF go past 50,000 ever. Just too cheap of insurance to not to. I am getting rid of mine because yes I am towing and I always like to get rid of first run factory oil of any kind because of break in residue . Plus I am going with better after market oil I have decided.

As far as this temperature issue it is something you must know about to do it right. Not the EXACT temperature, and that the car must be running when you pull the plug to let it drain the the leveling red straw. I personally think if you are a 1/2 quart high there is zero issue. So really, if you have a car at even 80 degs and you heat up your oil in a large food cooler and start it for a minute or two you will be within a 1/2 qt. and on the high side I am shooting for.

Remember you want to at least do this 3 times to get 90% of your oil.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Toyota seems to have gone out of their way to make transmission servicing as difficult as possible for the average do-it-yourselfer on the 6-speed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I called Toyota a complained they are do a dis service to their customers. I asked how many people screw up a transmission fluid change. And even if they put in straight dextron nothing will happen because their tranny fluid is dextron based.

The great lie or "false dogma" <-- (oxymoron??) on Toyota and Honda forums are that their oem oil is this special great oil that only "it" can be used. If you use a top tier aftermarket synthetic oil you exceed their oem ATF oil. So far this is being seen on CVT based oem in some cases too.

This dogma is preached by, in some cases people who almost never picked up a wrench in their life and or are "by the manual people" and only do as the "manual" says. If we went by what the manual says we would not break in an engine correctly or break in brakes correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts