Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its getting chilly and I have noticed as soon as I put the heater on, the electric mode turns off and the engine starts. My camry hybrid didnt do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disregard. It works in electric mode. Guess the engine just had to warm up. Lol. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
It will do that until the ICE reaches operating temp. The Camry does it too, you just didn't notice. Turning off the HVAC at stoplights is a good way to increase MPG in cold weather. In frigid climates some people experiment with grill blocking to help keep the ICE warm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our MPG has been going down as well as we've had sub-zero temps (F) for some of the last week. That is one thing about the Nissan Rogue hybrid that I found interesting was that supposedly they added automatic closing vents in the grill for winter use so the car can close off the grill opening to keep the heat in the engine compartment and encourage longer EV only time without kicking the ICE on to reheat things, primarily for the HVAC.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
^^^
The Gen-4 Prius uses active louvers on the radiator.
Running the ICE when you're moving doesn't really lower MPG much, (if at all), its when you're sitting still it kills you. If you drive like you really were trying to use EV mode, the ICE is just idling. The real MPG hit from cold weather is increased drag in the form of cold tires and cold chassis.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Our MPG has been going down as well as we've had sub-zero temps (F) for some of the last week. That is one thing about the Nissan Rogue hybrid that I found interesting was that supposedly they added automatic closing vents in the grill for winter use so the car can close off the grill opening to keep the heat in the engine compartment and encourage longer EV only time without kicking the ICE on to reheat things, primarily for the HVAC.
We will probably see a lot of new models with better looking features, but I've seen enough of the Rogue hybrid to know it is not truly a contender to the RAV4. It has some work before I can consider it so. They have come a long way from the Rogues that were plagued with transmission issues to a hybrid version. Initial reviews state that the Rogue Hybrid is weak and lacks performance. I guess that depends on the driver to decide.
A can't-lose idea | 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid - Autoblog

I'm sure added features will come for the RAV4 Hybrid as the competition catches up. I'm glad they made some features standard like blind spot monitoring that will only make it more appealing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts