Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the 06 Rav4 base model yesterday. I really like it much better compared to my 05 model that I just traded but what I'm not wild about or maybe has not grown on me yet it that the on the base model where the fog lamps SHOULD be there is nothing there but a piece of plastic to just cover up the hole. I wonder how much a place would charge me to put some lamps in there. I don't even care if they are working lamps or not but at least it would look better. What are everyone else's thoughts?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ummm.....I suppose I would prefer working lights compared to non-working ones.

They cover the receptacles for aesthetic reasons, and also maybe to keep debris out of there, and a stray creature or two..Tweet...Tweet.....lol :roll:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get me wrong I too would prefer to have working ones compared to non working ones but my point of this topic was it looks weird because here is a black piece of plastic covering the hole where the fog lamps should be and while the rest of the vehicle if Pacific Blue Metalic, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume they make them black plastic to reduce cost. Since alot of people seem to order their vehicles with fog lights.

I suppose for a cost you could have them painted to match the rest of the vehicle. Not sure what else you can do. :?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! That is an awesome idea. I can order a small can of spray touch up paint for about $15 and then just paint it myself. It would make them alot less noticeable. Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, had I known that the base model doesn't come equipped with the fog lamps I might had seriously considered getting a Sport or Limited but it didn't really seem like it come with that many extra features/equipment for the price.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can always order from the dealer the fogs that come standard with the sport, or pick up some aftermarket fogs for significantly less coin. I am planning on the latter.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go 5 hole: I assume yours is the same way as I am describing? Are they painted black? What do you think of them being like that. I am not too wild about it. When I first glanced at it, for a brief minute I thought that's cool that must be some type of cover that opens up when you turn the fog lights on and that is a cover that just protects them. Yes I know.... stop laughing I don't know what I was thinking. I really never got to see mine before I bought it and I didn't even think about looking for fog lights because I assumed they had them like all other SUV's out there. I did get a good price on it though. I paid $20,804 and have the carpet matts, 6 disc changer, roof rack and touneau cover. The dealer showed me the invoice that they paid for it and it was $20,620 so they only made $184 off of me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the base model so mine is the same. The fog light covers are molded in black (I don't think they are painted) and cover the hole in the bumper where the fogs are located in the Sport and Limited. That is why the oem units for the Sport should fit, but these would cost significantly more from Toyota than aftermarket units.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Adding on fog lights may be more than a do it yourself job. I try to change the bulb in my fog lights and there is no access to the fog light housing at all. Looks like you have take apart a bunch of stuff to get to the fog light housing, what a PITA.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, maybe I am better off without them then. It just looks really weird having that plastic cover over where they SHOULD be.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, few parts have to be dismentled 1st for installing the fog lights. Moreover, when buying OEM fogs, check if your signal switch lever on your car have additional fog light control. If not, then you have to buy the one that has besides the lamps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Doesn't look to bad when I checked. I think just the cover on the bottom of the lower bumper fascia needs to be removed to get access to the area.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I called dealer to get a price on the oem fogs (the ones that are standard on the Limited) and they indicated the lights alone, without the relay or switch, is over $110 each side!! I will definitely go aftermarket.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm....I'm weird...because I don't think they look bad at all! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
changing foglamp bulbs???

has anybody done this yet??? i tried looking in the owner's manual but changing the foglamps is not listed (at least in the japanese version). i figure you have to undo the plastic inner fender and turn the wheel to one side in order to access the bulb connector.

RAV4 foglamp bulb type is H11 (55W) which is either new or not that popular because i couldn't find too many brands which carried this type.

anways, i will be changing to Bosch Sportec White 4300K bulbs this weekend.

keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
RAVJ,

If you can tell us where all the fasteners are to take off the inside panel to get to the fog lights, that would be very useful.

Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts