Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have a question for those lucky enough to already own an '06 Rav4. I'm strongly considering purchasing one, but am waiting to test drive a V6 Limited first.

Last night I was reading owner reviews on the web, and someone stated there was NO dome light in the cargo area of the '06. I don't know which model they were complaining about (Base, Sport or Limited), but I find that hard to believe. I'm hoping someone can confirm this yes or no, and which model you have.

Many thanks in advance!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the only light i'm aware of in the back is on the door, and it's not that useful!

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Toyota coul've improved on this. I have to use a flashlight to see anything in the cargo area unless it's daylight outside. If you have light colored interior it would probably be easier to spot things though. The light in the door is nearly useless. A small, wimpy little light.

J.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer...Certainly not a deal breaker, but disappointing, nonetheless. Any Limited owners out there that can confirm they also are 'lightless'??

You'd think the Interior Light Package that I've seen on the sticker of some Rav's would include one, if nothing else...

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It is a stupid design to have the light on the door. When you open the door to load or unload, since the door open side ways, the light is pointing to your left instead of pointing into the cargo area. They should have put the light on top of the cargo area where the child seat archor is.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It is a stupid design ro put the light on the hatch door. When you open the door to load or unload, since the hatch open sideway, the light source is point to your left instaed of pointing into the cargo area where it is needed. To make matters worst, the hatch does not activate the passenger compartment's map lights.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a piss poor design, no denying it. I am amazed that they let this through. Its as if the cargo light was forgotten and it was an afterthought.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an engineer, yes, you should see what we come up with. Im a civil engineer though who happens to love cars. Im shaking my head and asking, "What the hell were they thinking?" Is there a power socket nearby that one could plug a flashlight into?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Myself too. Industrial with a Mechanical minor..
In fact I was a design enginner for an automotive aftermarket company so I have lots of experience on *WHY* did we do that?? :)

purduealum91 said:
As an engineer, yes, you should see what we come up with. Im a civil engineer though who happens to love cars. Im shaking my head and asking, "What the hell were they thinking?" Is there a power socket nearby that one could plug a flashlight into?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Electrical engineer here. That rear hatch lighting design should have been corrected by the application engineers at Toyota before the RAV was released. Those damn application engineers are giving the rest of the engineers a bad name. :D :lol: :twisted:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the dumbest idea they had yet. Can anyone thing of a dummer one. I probably will never use it. Also, what do you think of the jack placement and what you have to do to remove and replace it? This could also have been done a better way.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flyingn said:
E- The jack is stowed away in one of the side compartments in the back, no? Is it hard to get to? I did not look that close..
My 01 RAV had the jack under the fromt seat and was not difficult to remove or put back. I will wait til the weekend to play around with the jack. Better to get familiar with it now than wait til I need it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The design is definitely poor!...and, I agree...the light on the door was probably an afterthought.

It would help if, perhaps, the center dome light would go on when you open the rear cargo door...that would at least offer some more light than that little light on the cargo door.

Well...A girl can dream...can't she? LOL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts