Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
csis_agent said:
They are not phasing out the Highlander I can gurantee you that. They are redesigning them for a 2007 model. And it is going to be a bit bigger.
...Holy... It's like every Toyota SUV is growing in size by a notch. i really wonder what the next 4Runner and Sequoia is going to look like. :p

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
EHinthe604 said:
csis_agent said:
They are not phasing out the Highlander I can gurantee you that. They are redesigning them for a 2007 model. And it is going to be a bit bigger.
...Holy... It's like every Toyota SUV is growing in size by a notch. i really wonder what the next 4Runner and Sequoia is going to look like. :p
The Highlander though is going to be "less" suv like and more crossover like at least that is the rumors.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: the ridiculously sensitive clutch/shift/gearing

carworlder said:
on my 2005 manual 4 spd is the only thing I don't like about this vehicle. I've driven and worked on many standard trany's in my time, and this one is g_d awful to drive in traffic or on SF hills compared to say my manual trans jetta.

driving it in traffic and stalling out if i commit the unforgivable sin of giving it some gas as i let the clutch pedal out, is no fun because drivers around here assume you're driving an automatic like them. i'm expecting to get rear ended at a stop light or rolling back on a hill every time i drive. i
The clutch on the Rav takes some getting used to, but it is not as bad as some cars. Although I learned how to drive on a car with a manual transmission, I never spent a significant amount of time with one until I got my Rav. I've gotten really good at starting on hills without stalling or rolling back, mainly because it's very hilly here so I do it all the time when I am driving. I stall my Rav maybe once a month, mainly when I'm maneuvering in a parking lot.

The trick is to start letting out the clutch before you let off the brake, all while giving a little gas. You have to time it just right, otherwise you will stall or burn the clutch. It sounds tricky but it becomes second nature after a while. It helps that I have big feet and the Rav's pedals are close together, so I can modulate the gas, brake, and clutch at the same time.

I wish they would offer a 6 speed manual with the new Rav's V6, because I think it would be a great combination. But the car companies are catering to more and more people that prefer automatics instead of manuals. I yearn for days gone by when automatics were hard to come by and manuals were the norm. What manuals lack in convenience during rush hour traffic is made up for with their verstility in the snow.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will not be buying a new rav because there is no maual offered.Period!!! Driving a manual is just a lot more fun and involving, even in the rav which is a bit underpowered, the manual makes it a blast to drive. The reality is though that with the advances in automatic transmissions, the manual holds no serious benefit in fuel economy or power delivery anymore, as has been stated the auto actually gets higher fuel economy numbers. I just saw two 03 ravs at the local dealer that were extremely close in mileage, condition and equipment levels, but the auto was $2300 more!!! i was told the manual was going to be much harder to sell. From a strictly economic point of view, the $1000 or so dollars the auto costs starts to make a lot of sense come trade in time. I am afraid the writing is on the wall.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's too bad... no manual. :(

The only reason my wife bought an '05 was because it was the only SUV that came with a stick and 'normal' options... (oh, and leather). I think Ford made an Escape 4-cyl econo-model with a manual but finding it would've been a real challenge.

My wife and I both love having control when we drive. We like to choose what we're going to do, all the time, in all situations. Going to an automatic is like taking away a freedom to us by taking away the choice of how we drive.

Please ignore the rest of this post if you do not want to read my political rant.

However, I take this action by Toyota as just a small example of the general direction of the US and most of the world over the past 30 years... The current societal 'peer-pressure' supports letting someone more knowing than myself have control in all aspects of my life. It's just a matter of time before I'm told what to do and how in all aspects of my life. Oh well, that's what the general population wants so who am I to complain? ;)

Anyway, that's how strongly I feel about taking away manual trannies, it's taking away freedom.

-C

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Carlman said:
That's too bad... no manual. :(

The only reason my wife bought an '05 was because it was the only SUV that came with a stick and 'normal' options... (oh, and leather). I think Ford made an Escape 4-cyl econo-model with a manual but finding it would've been a real challenge.

My wife and I both love having control when we drive. We like to choose what we're going to do, all the time, in all situations. Going to an automatic is like taking away a freedom to us by taking away the choice of how we drive.

Please ignore the rest of this post if you do not want to read my political rant.

However, I take this action by Toyota as just a small example of the general direction of the US and most of the world over the past 30 years... The current societal 'peer-pressure' supports letting someone more knowing than myself have control in all aspects of my life. It's just a matter of time before I'm told what to do and how in all aspects of my life. Oh well, that's what the general population wants so who am I to complain? ;)

Anyway, that's how strongly I feel about taking away manual trannies, it's taking away freedom.

-C
I agree with you. First of all, the RAV4 is still a compact SUV and, regardless of how much more powerful the new 2.4L four-banger is than in previous years. I would understand that the 3.5L V6 would not come with manual, but any four-cylinder engine in a SUV should definitely have a manual option. Second, it is absolutely SAD that manuals are a dying breed as a result of societal pressure to drive automatic. Even many sports cars only come with automatic. Pretty soon, the only cars that will have manual transmission will be subcompacts and roadster-style sports cars.

Sadly, I don't know whether my next vehicle will be a manual, considering the scarcity of manuals these days. I'm happy with my 2005 RAV4 with manual transmission. :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts