Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exclusion of DVD navigation is just plain WRONG! All this talk about the new RAV4 being "upscale"... one of the first things people think of with an upscale vehicle is a navigation system!

Also... crazy things like:
  • No keyless ignition system.
  • No Bluetooth mobile phone integration.
  • Side and side curtain air bags are still option-only, no matter the trim level.
  • Dual zone automatic climate control is standard on the Limited but not even available as an option on the Base or Sport models.
  • Third row seats are optional only on the Base and Limited, not on the Sport.
  • Leather seating is only an option on the Limited, not on Base or Sport.
  • Heated front seats are only an option on the Limited, not on Base or Sport
  • DVD Entertainment System only available on the Limited, not on Base or Sport.
  • The Limited gets a leather wrapped steering wheel standard, while it's not even an option on the Base or Sport.
  • Interior footwell lighting is standard on the Limited, not available on Base or Sport.
  • All models have a full size spare tire on the rear door -- apparently North America doesn't rate the spare-free Sport edition rear door and run-flat tires.
PDF Features/Options sheet (erroneously linked as "Specs" on Toyota's website)
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/rav06specs.pdf

Ironically, the RAV4 Configurator's interface looks very much like a navigation system (click Build Your RAV4). :roll:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/index.html

More to post when I find stuff to complain about... :twisted:

R

·
0 Posts
Very short sighted. This is supposedly the SUV for young people. They obviously thought young with rear seat DVD player, JBL w/subwoofer and MP3 compatible radio. But they really fell down on the job with no NAV or bluetooth. IMO there is no excuse for this not being an option.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Probably we can ask HID, and NAV system from dealer to any european vendor. And then install them here!

·
Registered
875 Posts
it looks like hte sport version never gets anything. how disappointing. i wish the s-type had foglights and all the other goodies. you figure they'd at least put foggies on a sport SUV. duh!

No navi?...well, that would up the price by tons.
HID?...those are reserved for the higher end cars. (this thing's entry level)
3-row seat is an option?....

Rav4's been famous for having everything as an option. some people hate it b/c it's not in some sort of package but others love it b/c you only pay for what you want. i think it's kinda cool that rav4's can go for anywhere between $18,000-26,000. everyone can have one specified to whatever they want.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, I really wish they'd differentiate the Sport model more from the base or L. I mean what does "sport" briing to mind? Well, maybe bigger rims and performance tires,a stiffer, sportier suspension, supercharger or turbo, CAI, tuned ecu upgrade, standalone a/f controller...etc.etc Now, that's a "S" model. Not just a hoodscoop. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
i was really thinking of changing to this new one... because of the 3 row seat and extra storage space... cuz i carry alot of stuff for business. but... the design... i like the european shorter version,the US version looks like they just forcely stretched the car longer...

i guess i was kinda looking into the navigation and blue tooth as well... and HID, but oh well... I'm good with my current rav... until they have a facelift or something... give it a year or two... they'll hear all the complains and eventually change things...

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad Toyota has at least gotten somewhat away from a completely stripped down RAV4 where everything is an option. Air conditioning, power windows and door locks, four wheel discs, antilock brakes, traction control, vehicle skid control, tire pressure monitoring, remote keyless entry and rear privacy glass -- a pretty good list of standard equipment for what they call their "entry level" SUV.

However, this mishmash of limiting options on the North American RAV really has me tweaked... I don't know if I want to wait around two or three more years for the mid-life refresh and the missing options to finally make their appearance... if it even ever happens.

Though I really do like the design, both inside and out, Toyota's choice (or more appropriately, lack of choices) of once again hobbling the vehicle that comes to North America is disappointing to say the least... and has me now wondering what's in store for the Acura RD-X and the Mazda CX-7...

Zoomie -- "Integrated fog lights" are listed as standard for the Sport and Limited.

Slayer -- The "Sport" model has "Sport-tuned suspension (springs and shock absorbers)" and the 18-inch alloy wheel and tire (P235/55R18) combo -- not sure what else...

G

·
0 Posts
Anyone else not like what they see online on the 2006?

~New dash light colour is horrible (& I thought the orange was pretty bad) That is going to be bad on the eyes.
~Stereo color looks to be distracting too.
~No manual. This clinches the deal for me.
~It's lost its small, fun zippy look.
~Bigger takes more gas. Defeating my purpose for wanting the Rav4.
~The car colour choices are bad too, at least the online version. :D

What were these people thinking with this?

Are there crash test ratings out on this model yet? It 'looks' a bit sturdier.

So far I'm glad I grabbed an 05, the last of the Rav4's soul I feel, this one is so different... I need to see this in person to feel better about it.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
goldensnitch said:
~New dash light colour is horrible (& I thought the orange was pretty bad) That is going to be bad on the eyes.
~Stereo color looks to be distracting too.
~No manual. This clinches the deal for me.
~It's lost its small, fun zippy look.
~Bigger takes more gas. Defeating my purpose for wanting the RAV4.
~The car colour choices are bad too, at least the online version. :D
Seems to be a lot of negative talk going on in here. I do agree with you last statement. You should judge it in person... not by photos.

By the way... the 2006 4 banger is rated at better mileage than the 2005 :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
A navigation system is only for the people who don't know where they are going anyway.

No big deal. Ask the dealer to throw in a map and a flashlight and there you have it---On board fully integrated navigation with full illumination. You can't ask for more.

Good luck finding your dealer to buy the new RAV. Later. :lol: M.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Marcutio said:
A navigation system is only for the people who don't know where they are going anyway.

No big deal. Ask the dealer to throw in a map and a flashlight and there you have it---On board fully integrated navigation with full illumination. You can't ask for more.
To each his own I suppose.

Personally I want a navigation system, not because I don't know where I'm going, but because I have a tendency to wander and would need to know how to get back once I get there, such as weekend trips to New Orleans, Nashville, Atlanta, etcetera. I hate having to deal with (and fold) maps.

There's also the fact that this is almost 2006 and for a car not to even offer what should be minimally considered an option for those who want it is inexcusable.

BTW, You can't use a map that you don't have, and unless you're going to throw in 100 maps of 100 places you *might* go, you pretty much have to rely on "there you are".

I just wish I had the money to buy one of the oemvalue.com units for my 2005 S before they're all gone.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Marcutio said:
Sounds like something written by someone who lives on an island. ;)

I also like to drive and explore new places and currently have a basket full of maps at home. I'm not a huge fan of nav systems integrated into the dash and wouldn't choose one if it were available (I'd prefer one of the portable nav units you can move between vehicles), but I can certainly see how useful a feature it would be for some.

T

·
0 Posts
ya, the good thing about navigation is you get to know where restraunt and gas station is and saves you lots of gas when you made a wrong turn in downtown disctrict... taking about finding a place to stop when you are driving in downtown...

lastly... it's safer then people who drives around while looking at maps..

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bmorton wrote: "Sounds like something written by someone who lives on an island. "

NewBrunswick is not an island. Its right next to Maine USA.

We vacation alot in the good 'ol USA and a road atlas (or as we call it "the bible") is all we ever use. My wife and I usually tag team and it always works out. It not like the stereo typical "he won't stop for directions" thing you hear of. WE LOVE TO TRAVEL BY ROAD TOGETHER.

I was just kidding about the NAV system by the way. Ha Ha. I agree with having the map on hard drive somewhere so its much easier to get the info quicker (ie: New York City). Its just that there are so many ways to get that now that it really isn't the end of the world when its not a factory unit.

Hand held units with GPS for $1000 and under is cheaper than a 2-3000 dollar option financed over 4 years. Or you could go with;GPS a lap top computer and a map program would also be a great companion and with it you could e-mail and send photos of your journey to others on the way for about the same investment as the factory option. Just to name two.

I'm not busting chops here. I'm just saying chill out about the options that come with Hummers and stuff that don't come on an economical SUV like the RAV. If you really need it then go bigger and more expensive.

My priority list would not include this option but hats off the those who want it and would use it. Later. M :)

R

·
0 Posts
Marcutio said:
We vacation alot in the good 'ol USA and a road atlas (or as we call it "the bible") is all we ever use. My wife and I usually tag team and it always works out. It not like the stereo typical "he won't stop for directions" thing you hear of. WE LOVE TO TRAVEL BY ROAD TOGETHER.
Marcutio..what if your wife is not with you???
I think having a NAVIGATION SYSTEM helps you concentrate on driving and reduce accidents. I think looking at maps while driving is worst than eating something while driving.

G

·
0 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Seems to be a lot of negative talk going on in here. I do agree with you last statement. You should judge it in person... not by photos.

By the way... the 2006 4 banger is rated at better mileage than the 2005 :D
I'm not being negative, only stating my honest feelings in interest of chatting about it. I do own a rav4 after all.

They said this about the prius gas milage too, but so far from what I've read online from prius owners, prius real life milage vs milage on sticker is inaccurate. :D I've been wondering how much holds true for the 2006 Rav4. It's a new model & needs a while to work out kinks I'm sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
goldensnitch said:
They said this about the prius gas milage too, but so far from what I've read online from prius owners, prius real life milage vs milage on sticker is inaccurate. :D I've been wondering how much holds true for the 2006 RAV4. It's a new model & needs a while to work out kinks I'm sure.
I know the EPA and actual mileage disparities has been covered over and over and over by the news, but what has also been covered is the reason.

The EPA figure plastered on every new vehicle in the US is based on controlled laboratory testing on a dynamo and accounted for driving habits of 30 years ago.

People don't drive an average of 45mph on the highway and a bulk of anyone traversing through a major metropolitan area on a daily basis will skew heavily towards city driving.

All in all, this greatly reduces effective mileage, no matter how cautiously and economically an individual attempts to drive. The EPA claims they are working with the manufacturers to devise more true-to-life testing procedures, but that "official" announcement is a month away and deployment into the mainstream will probably take two years.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Marcutio said:
It's just that there are so many ways to get that now that it really isn't the end of the world when its not a factory unit.

<snip>

I'm not busting chops here. I'm just saying chill out about the options that come with Hummers and stuff that don't come on an economical SUV like the RAV. If you really need it then go bigger and more expensive.
But... I think you're missing the point a little bit... We're not asking that Toyota throw in the NAV option as a standard freebie. Hell, we can't even get them to understand why keyless entry should be free.

The operative word here is OPTION. It costs Toyota absolutely nothing to offer a Navigation system as an option. It's up to us to buy it, or not. I know I would have (given the opportunity), but that's just me, even if it cost me another $20 per month financed. It would have been worth it to me, just because it's increases the coolness factor and the enjoyment factor of driving my RAV4 (already a 22k investment on it's own).

Does wanting the option to spend $20 extra per month on one make financial sense? Absolutely not, but it's a whole lot easier for some than the alternative of coming up with the $1000 out of pocket to buy an aftermarket kludge, or $1600 to buy the aftermarket conversion from someone like oemvalue.com. I can only hope to save up enough money to buy the oemvalue.com unit for my 2005 before they're gone.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Marcutio said:
Bmorton wrote: "Sounds like something written by someone who lives on an island. "

NewBrunswick is not an island. Its right next to Maine USA.
Just going by what's shown in your location beside your posts: "Republic of Newfoundland". Didn't know it was a republic yet but it is an island.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Was a Republic about 56 years ago. Just a little political humor. The choice was to join Canada or USA. The real solution would have been to stay out of both and become one of the richest countries in the world.

Oh well. No need for NAV there anyway. One highway. Choice is East or West. In the city I would see the advantage and thats why many rental car companies supply NAV systems with thier vehicles there.

"rav4energie" Travaling wouldn't be the same without my wife. I would never go without her. You need to share the experience, it makes all the stories afterwards that much better.

Also, I have a unique gift for memorizing maps. I kid you not. Some people are good with faces, I'm not. Some people are good with names, I'm not. Maps on the other hand I am great with. Go figure. :roll: Anyway thanks guys. Talk later. M.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts