Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As good as this purolator model. Pep Boys doesnt even carry this model that fits our trucks. Grrrr.

Tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
With all this talk about oil lately, can someone please give me some idea where on the engine the filter is located?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Re: No one has Purolator Pure One Oil Filter 14477 - a good

purduealum91 said:
As good as this purolator model. Pep Boys doesnt even carry this model that fits our trucks.
My Pep Boys carries it, same filter for both my cars :)
of course last time I went I grabbed the last one...

(or is my camry 14476??? not crawling under the car to check, sorry :) !!!) ('02 camry is the toyota filter #10, same as #1 but a little taller).

·
Registered
179 Posts
pweezil said:
With all this talk about oil lately, can someone please give me some idea where on the engine the filter is located?
it is upside down (i.e., threaded side UP) underneath the car, kinda front'n'center. You will get oil spilled on your hand when you unscrew it, so have newspaper down. Took me 20 secs to find it in the showroom (thinking it was similar to my 02 camry, not nearly as easy as the rav 4.1 which was practically staring you in the face when you opened the hood).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, jabba. Am I correct in assuming it's visible from the top? I've spent a considerable amount of time looking, but because of the mess in my driveway, I haven't looked from underneath. I'll try again in the morning.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
the filter is NOT visible from the top. You must get it from under it. Its in the front passengers side hyst beyond the bkack trim piece under the fron of the truck. Warning... The filer is VERY tight. You need a filter wrench to remove. You will not be able to remove it with your hand. Be sure to buy one before you leave the store.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Right! Not visible from the top at all. Feel around for it underneath, slightly on the passenger's side of front/center. Ritefit Cap "F" (I HOPE!! assuming it's toyota filter #1 or #10 - my dealer told me to NOT change the oil until 5000 miles) - it will be summer :) )

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I would NEVER.. Let me repete that.. NEVER wait to 5000 miles to change the oil first time, Like I was saying before.. During the block machining process there is shavings in evey block that I have ever seen.. Its just NOT worth the $20 to change the oil to risk a $15k engine... please change that oil before 5000 miles.. I can tell ya at 1000 miles I sure had a LOT of sediment in the screen in the funnel that I used to put the used oil back into the containers with..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some questions/comments:

Flyingn,

I agree with you about 1,000 mile first oil change. Doing it this weekend (darn, 1,000 miles in 13 days).

When placing the new filter on the RAV, do you apply some of the new oil to the gasket on the new filter?

Also, does the drain plug have a washer that needs to be replaced each time you change the oil? I know on my old Scooby I had to do this.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
flyingn said:
the filter is NOT visible from the top. You must get it from under it. Its in the front passengers side hyst beyond the bkack trim piece under the fron of the truck. Warning... The filer is VERY tight. You need a filter wrench to remove. You will not be able to remove it with your hand. Be sure to buy one before you leave the store.
A plastic Filter Wrench is definitely a worthwihile investment (the one that looks like a plastic cup where you can fit the handle for a standard socket-wrench). Easier to use than those adjustable ring-and-handle type tools... If you have several cars, buying one that fits each vehicle won't cost you that much - less than $3 at Walmart... But it will save you a lot of time and effort.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
It's kinda weird... Toyota's 3.5L must be some special new design for oil filters... Someone said it was a cartridge type, and I've yet to see one listed by any manufacturers... Purolator, Fram, NAPA, Mobil, even Toyota parts resellers.

Most I could find was Purolator part number L25608 for the Avalon, but says "Not Available - Availability To Be Announced".

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
That is the kind you must use too. There is no room around the filter to swing any other kind of wrenches You must remove it with the 'cup'type from the bottom

A plastic Filter Wrench is definitely a worthwihile investment (the one that looks like a plastic cup where you can fit the handle for a standard socket-wrench). Easier to use than those adjustable ring-and-handle type tools... If you have several cars, buying one that fits each vehicle won't cost you that much - less than $3 at Walmart... But it will save you a lot of time and effort.[/quote]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good idea people to change the oil early the first time. I've seen some pretty funky s#!$(stuff) come out of the base pan on new cars. Even having the engine flushed at 10,000 miles is not a bad idea.

Factory filters are ALWAYS too tight on any vehicle. Believe it or not the "Champion" filter is one of the best filters out there with almost twice the amount of filtering material.

Did you know? If you don't change your oil regularly and the filter becomes clogged or restricted, the oil will by-pass the filtering element all together. Then you have unfiltered oil circulating and doing damage to your engine. Harmfull stuff will build-up over time in the engine but changing the oil on-time is the only way to keep ahead of it.

Later. M.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts