Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post!! I just bought a 1999 Rav4, and there is no power to the radio. I checked the cig. fuse and the dome fuse, both seem to be fine. The cig lighter and clock both work, just the radio has no power at all. Is there another fuse somewhere just for the radio? Also, if the security for the radio was set off, would it still have power, just not work and show some kind of sign on the display???

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,011 Posts
Welcome to the RAV4 World, sorry your radio isn't working. As far as I know the radio fuse is below and left of the steering wheel. I know of no other fuse, you can rather easily get the bezel off the radio and check pull it out to check the wiring connections and test power at the connector. Also check your ground when doing this as that is sometime the problem.

If for some reason you wanted to keep her original and you find your old radio is kaput, I have a working radio/cassette player and CD player if you want it.

Reactions: Shleprock

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eodgator, I've checked the fuse there. I'll try taking out the radio and checking for power at the connections. I might take you up on that offer for the radio and CD player. Mine has the radio/cassette player, but not the CD player. Let me figure out what's wrong with what I have, and I'll let you know what I need! Thanks for the offer!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know of another fuse location for the radio on a 1999 rav4, other then on the lower left side of the dash? Does the radio itself have a fuse in it , and if so where is it located? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The wiring diagrams show that the radio receives constant power from the "DOME" fuse (Under the hood near the left front strut tower) to maintain the radio's memory.

It also obtains power when the ignition is turned on, from the "CIG" fuse located under the lower left side of the dash.

The DOME fuse also powers the main DRL relay, the interior lights, and the moonroof. If these things still work then the DOME fuse is OK.

The CIG fuse also powerd the remote mirrors, the clock, and the cigarette lighter. If these things still work then the CIG fuse is OK.

If both fuses are OK then the radio is probably dead. The wiring diagrams do not show the internal components of devices, so there may very well be a fuse inside the radio, but you will have to open it up to find out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rickl! I removed the radio and checked for power and ground at the connector, both were there, so I guess that means it's the radio itself. Haven't opened it up yet to see if it has an internal fuse. I also plan on attaching power and ground directly to it, to see if it powers up that way. Do you or anyone ells out here have a wiring diagram that shows the colors of the wires and where they go? Does anyone have advice on how to add power directly to it, I don't want to short anything out if I hook up to the wrong terminals on the back of the radio? Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The gray wire connects to the ACC terminal, and this wire should have 12 volts whenever the ignition is on.

The Blue/Yellow wire connects to the "B" terminal , and this wire should have 12 volts all the time, since it is used to maintain the station memories,

A White/Black and a green wire connect to the 2 "Illum" terminals to provide back-lighting when the headlights are turned on.

You might also check that the brown wire is connected to the GND terminal of the radio, and use an ohmmeter to verify it has a good connection to chassis ground.

The pink/violet, LT Green/Blue , Black/Yellow, and red/white, all go to the 4 speakers.

To connect to it directly, connect the positive terminal of your battery (or power supply) to the ACC and B terminals of the radio. The negative battery should be connected to the GND terminal of the radio. That should bring the display to life, but you may wish to connect at least one speaker to verify if any sound is emitted.

I have not seen the radio in a 1999 RAV4, but these terminal designations are often engraved in the metal case of the radio. If the engraving does not exist you will have to locate the proper terminal based on the color codes of the wires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hooked power directly to it and got nothing, and could not find a fuse inside the radio itself. So, the radio is kaput!! I guess I'll be taking eodgator up on his offer! Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate when people don't tell you the finale out come, and how they fixed the problem, so here is what happened with me.

The original radio was bad, no fixing it! I remembered I had a box of old stereos that I had accumulated over the years, so I dug it out, and low and behold there was a stock Toyota radio. It was not the same as the one I took out, but it fit right in and the wire connectors were the same. I powered it up and it work perfect! Problem solved!! Thanks to all for your input!!!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
And my wife wants to know why I keep all that junk in the garage! Because one day, it might just pay off! Good job, Shleprock!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat now. Im starting to think the problem might be the stereo itself. It's an aftermarket navigation stereo system. Would not power on after battery replacement. I checked the fuse under the hood, and they're not blown.

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
Most aftermarket stereos have a fuse of their own as an extra protective measure on the back side of the unit. Check that as well as the previously mentioned RADIO and CIG fuses located in the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does any one have a wiring diagram of the radio wireing?
Blu/yellow- constant 12v
Gray- switched 12v
Brown- ground
Green- dimmer

Lt.green- speaker LF +
Blue- speaker LF -
Pink- speaker RF +
Purple- speaker RF -
Black- speaker LR +
Yellow-speaker LR-
Red- speaker RR +
White- speaker RR -

This is out of memory but I bet I am correct!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,011 Posts
As Mick Hatzo said many stereos have a fuse on the back of the unit, but many also have one in-line. So, take a look at the power wires for the unit and there may be one or two in-line fuses.

This link is to a stereo an excellent RAV4.1 installation guide complete with wiring diagrams, see https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N4qdhM8CoaRmYzTmljMXFXRFk/view

·
Registered
2 Posts
The wiring diagrams show that the radio receives constant power from the "DOME" fuse (Under the hood near the left front strut tower) to maintain the radio's memory.

It also obtains power when the ignition is turned on, from the "CIG" fuse located under the lower left side of the dash.

The DOME fuse also powers the main DRL relay, the interior lights, and the moonroof. If these things still work then the DOME fuse is OK.

The CIG fuse also powerd the remote mirrors, the clock, and the cigarette lighter. If these things still work then the CIG fuse is OK.

If both fuses are OK then the radio is probably dead. The wiring diagrams do not show the internal components of devices, so there may very well be a fuse inside the radio, but you will have to open it up to find out.
Makes quite sense but my radio too isn't working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The gray wire connects to the ACC terminal, and this wire should have 12 volts whenever the ignition is on.

The Blue/Yellow wire connects to the "B" terminal , and this wire should have 12 volts all the time, since it is used to maintain the station memories,

A White/Black and a green wire connect to the 2 "Illum" terminals to provide back-lighting when the headlights are turned on.

You might also check that the brown wire is connected to the GND terminal of the radio, and use an ohmmeter to verify it has a good connection to chassis ground.

The pink/violet, LT Green/Blue , Black/Yellow, and red/white, all go to the 4 speakers.

To connect to it directly, connect the positive terminal of your battery (or power supply) to the ACC and B terminals of the radio. The negative battery should be connected to the GND terminal of the radio. That should bring the display to life, but you may wish to connect at least one speaker to verify if any sound is emitted.

I have not seen the radio in a 1999 RAV4, but these terminal designations are often engraved in the metal case of the radio. If the engraving does not exist you will have to locate the proper terminal based on the color codes of the wires.
Do u know a few regarding the 2011 model?

·
Registered
1998 4-door 2wd
6 Posts

The CIG fuse also powers the remote mirrors, the clock, and the cigarette lighter.
-very helpful tips for stereo installs 🙂 -- the CIG fuse is labeled just "CIG" on the fuse cover, so this saved me hunt-and-guess time -- I needed to confirm that I have at least a 15 Amp radio-circuit fuse to add a small, behind-the-dash amplifier. .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts