Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just want to express my frustration. I just got with my dealer at Tucson, and he told me no Rav4 2006 limited 4x4 will be available for December. They only ordered 1 that is already sold. If ordering today, probably I will get 1 on the 2nd week of January.

I am going to travel last week of December for christmas parties, and is a very long trip from Arizona to Laredo, TX... then going to Mexico, and return back trhough the Mountains of Chihuahua that get snow on December....
I was expecting to have the new 4x4 for that trip because I no longer trusth on my oldie Grand Cherokee, but because my deception I will have to buy my second option that is the CR-V 2006...

I tested and drove the 2005 6 months ago, and compared with the rav4, I feel the rav4 with more power. However, this time I drove the CR-V 2006, and let me tell you that I feel it with more power this time. I enjoyed the test drive of yesterday with the CR-V, so I will not miss so much not to buy the new rav4..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Though I like the large rear lights and pull out camping table includied in the CRV, it is inferior to the Rav4 in so many ways. Here are a few of my own opinions. Others can contribute:

1) Rav4 simply looks more sleek. (definitely arguable)
2) Rav4 has removable and adjustable rear seats
3) I'd feel safer in a Rav4 than a CRV
4) Rav4 should be faster.
5) we'll miss you in the rav4 forums if you buy the crv.

There will be plenty of people to tell you to follow your gut and be all nice. I'm not one of those. I'm going to tell you straight out that the Rav4 is worth waiting for. The quality seems so much better and personally having the gear shift on the steering column on the crv kinda bothers me. If the only reason you're going for the CRV over the rav4 is simply b/c the rav4 isn't available when you "need" it, simply wait. Your trip, no matter how important it is...will only be temporary. The car however (though maybe still temporary) will last you much longer and is again worth waiting for. Please reconsider.

A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN COMPARING CARS:
- insurance rates (can differ dramatically)
- safety
- gas mileage of course
- maintenance cost (oil change for MB is $70 while other cars is $30)

Whatever ride you eventually choose, have fun with it and enjoy it as much as possible. G'luck and be happy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it were me in your situation, I'd just wait. I mean, ask yourself if you'd really, really be satisfied with a 2.4L engine in either the CRV or Rav4 coming in Dec or would you really be satisfied with the V6 engine coming in late Jan/early Feb. Would you kick yourself in the pants cause you were in a hurry for a new vehicle and just bought one right out from impulse or desperation? Do you have other temp options like renting another vehicle or borrowing one from a friend? If I was in the market for a new Rav4 right now, I'd seriously wait for that new engine rather than regret it later.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Ditto to what zoomie and Slayer said. If i were you, i'd rent a car for whatever time you need it. There are a lot of good 4x4s you can rent for that long trip to Mexico. Have fun renting a SUV; besides, it's not yours ;). You WILL NOT regret waiting for that Rav4 for just a couple of months. Have fun on your trip :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
When my Wife and I travel, we could take her 2002 Maxima. If we travel over 500 miles, we rent. Why? The IRS allows 40 cents per mile to cover depreciation, wear and gas. Gas = about 12 cents so the car is incurring about 28 cents X 500 miles = $140. I can get a premium car for about $80 for a 3 day rental. If you are traveling 1000 miles during your XMAS week, you have $280 available to rent a car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions and comments... specially the ones:

" 5) we'll miss you in the RAV4 forums if you buy the crv. "

"gear shift on the steering column on the crv kinda bothers me"

New CR-V doesn't have the gear shift on the steering column, actually it has it on the left of the radio.

As a told before, I tested the CR-V and rav4 6 months ago, and I made the test on slippery surface to see the response of the AWD of the CRV and rav4. And I was dissapointed with the CR-V at that time that the rear 4W system started to work after some turns of the front wheels.. this time I made the same test and I feel it the same as the rav4! Honda improved the speed response for the 4w system on slipperies surfaces.

My interest now with family (2 kids) was: Fuel Economy (after dealing with my 5.2L Grand cherokee 8mpg about 4 years), so I prefer 4 cylinders rather than 6 or 8. I drove a very small car on Europe on the Italian Alpes and the small car did it well on the high mountains roads, so regarding power, 4 cylinders were also enough for me.

Interior space: we liked the 3rd row seat from the new rav4, when some additional passanger were going with us, but that's not so frecuently, probably just when we got to home towns like 2 weeks of a whole year. So the 3rd row seat was not necesary.

Security: bags on everywhere as a "base" for the CRV is a plus, comparing with rav4 that you need it to buy them as an option.

Faster: well, I am not intending to drive fast and dangerous with family inside. Normally I respect all the speed limits signals.

So, comparing prices: 25k usd was the quote from the dealer for a 2006 CR-V, with the limited edition, air bags everywhere, 4wd, moon roof, heated seats, etc... and I think similar characteristics from the new rav4 limited edition will be higher because the most of this characteristics are "options" and you know the cost for "options" on a new car.

I still dont make the buy, so I can still change opinion if convinced.

[/quote]

·
Registered
396 Posts
Okay, here's another thing. Did you test out the CRV or Rav4 with a full load as you intend to drive it? You say you'll be driving your family most of the time. So, you should try to test both vehicles with your family in it and some luggage and see if it still has enough power for you. Also try testing it in some mild hills as that might be a wake up call for you when trying to bring the family up some campsites with a full load and you're barely inching up the road. The V6 awd Rav doesn't suffer that much in economy from the 2.4L so again, you might want to consider it. I'd rather have the options that I *may* need later instead of later *wishing* I had 'em.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and appreciate the great info and the civilly presented opinions. My family of four currently owns a Saturn Ion (commuting car) and a '94 Camry (family car). We're ready to get rid of the Camry, and need a vehicle that we can transport the family in, including the kids as they get to be full-sized. Also, we live in snow country and my wife has a long commute twice a week, so I want the 4wd and generally good traction (the Ion is like skiing). Also, we've just moved into a house with a steep driveway. Bad move. Tried driving the Camry up the driveway with one inch of snow last week, and got nowhere.

Test drove a 2005 Rav and loved it. This may seem strange, but I also tested a Matrix. Too small, and too tinny. So, I'm quite sold on the 2006 RAV, pending a good test drive once it's available. Planning on going for the 3rd row seats (and, no, I don't think I'd be better off with a Sienna :D ) So, I'm looking for interior space, traction, fuel economy, and overall value.

I don't know squat about cars. I was planning on going for the 4-Cyclinder, due to the better mileage, and because I didn't think I'd have need for V-6 (won't be towing anything). Can someone somehow explain to me what the difference might feel like. For example, how would the V-6 or 4-cyclinder compare to my experience driving the Camry (re: acceleration, climbining, etc.). Other considerations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also try testing it in some mild hills as that might be a wake up call for you when trying to bring the family up some campsites with a full load and you're barely inching up the road.
Yes, I tested both with the family, and a very big and fat guy (the salesman), and I got uphills.... no problem noticed. I stopped before going up to see any problems going up.

And you know, I am driving a 4x4 limited ed. V8 5.2L Grand cherokee, and the difference in power I can not feel it so big. For example, I drove some corollas and I feel the lack of power on them because I am used and familiar with my Grand Cherokee, but with CR-V 2006 and rav4 2005 Is almost not perceptile.

As I told before, I drove a very small car 4cyl on europe on the Italian alpes, and we were 5 very big guys going up on the mountains... and it climb it without any problems. After that trip I changed my mind regarding powerfull motors on mountains roads.

I think V6 and V8 are for "Towing people", or the ones who want to make street racing.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
crv

Your Right man.....V6 is no big thing in my book :wink: Gas may be on the way down now :lol: But it will go up again :roll: But I still think Toyota is a better made car :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
875 Posts
yeah, i'd definitely have to say toyotas are better made cars too. pretty obvious from the success of the company itself and just experiencing both company's cars.

INTERIOR SPACE:
You can opt to get the rav4 without the 3rd row seat. It's an option taht you don't have to pay for if you dont' want it.

SAFETY:
Whether you buy something as an option or have it included in the price, you're still paying for it. you can't really compare. lots of it depends on what's on the lot, and the demand for the car itself. rav4 moonroofs are priced at $900 and side bars at $400. I got both for $400. I didn't necessarily get a deal. It just happened that someone ordered it and didn't want the car anymore. You may also want to check safety ratings specifically, not just compare having air bags or not having 'em.

FASTER:
Though you may not be a racer, having the ability or the choice to move faster can save you in some situations. You can always choose to not pull the car to it's limit, but it's a great confidence builder to know that your car can do it when you demand it. e.g. motorcyles are obviously more dangerous to ride than cars b/c an accident could easily kill the rider. but some people forget that motorcycles are not only more agile, but they are a smaller target to hit and can brake much much more quickly than a car. If you don't buy that, then compare a scooter with a motorcycle. the scooter in fact may be more dangerous b/c it does not have the ability the motorcycle does to get out of dangerous situations effectively.

PRICE:
My friend's family got a rav4 for $18,000. I got mine for $24,000. There's plenty of wiggle room to let you pay for what you want and not pay for what you dont' want. CR-V isn't as flexible in terms of how much you want to pay. At first lots of people including myself hated being nickle and dimed for options on the rav4, but realized later that it allows buyers to pay for only what they want.

I personally think you'd be making a mistake going for the cr-v in plenty more ways than one. But as long as you don't regret after purchasing it, you're good to go and i'm definitely happy for you and glad that you made that decision.

FURTHER RESEARCH:
I haven't read through this, but it might help you with the comparison. There's actually a thread about this: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee94d11

CRV safety rating hits the top: http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=819&fArticleId=2346623

One guy's preference of the rav4 over crv: http://www.autobytel.com/content/re...94,12130,12096/Make_vch/Toyota/Model_vch/RAV4

CRV-'s cheap interior: http://www.intellichoice.com/report...iews/type/new/year/2005/make/Honda/model/CR-V

CRV as top pick: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/suvs/0501_mini_suv_comparo/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys!... I was going to buy today the CRV 2006, suddently, before leaving the office, I received an e-mail from the Toyota dealer telling me that the new rav4 arrived today!.... Because both dealers are on the next door, We go to see the new Rav...

Unfortunatelly it was on drive test by a salesperson wifes... so I have to wait a little bit for it.... And then it comes... a beutiful limited edition with grey/green color stopped in front of me...
It was gorgeous!... the look was so sport for me... and the tires really are tires for an SUV (bigger tires than CRV)... and the interior space... wow... Toyota engineers are genious... spacious interior... very good looking...... I was wondering if they will allow me to drive it... and Yes!!!!!! :lol: It was not a big ride, just around the block, but you really can feel it the control with the electronic steering... It was not 4x4 version, but believe me, the control feeling was very similar.

I read some comments regarding the interior noise when riding... but well, or I was so excited to hear anything, or it is really quit. (almost no noise)..
Well, after that we went into the next door Honda dealer... get inside the old look CRV interior style... I saw the eyes of my wife and we said it all: we prefered to wait for the RAV4 with the options we want!!

Well, now I have to take my Grand Cherokee to a shop to be sure it will works for my long vacation trip and take us safe back on January to possible receive our new Rav4.

Thanks for all the comments you wrote here, they really help us on taking the final decision...
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
vallesj said:
Thanks for all the comments you wrote here, they really help us on taking the final decision...
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!!!
What a nice talking.
How much will you pay? MSRP?
Did you get a quotation from salesman?
Are u in the States?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello, I got MSRP price, unfortunatelly they can not negotiate better prices until more months after seeing the market behavior..

So the price will be (including taxes and fees) of $29,952. for a Limited, 4x4, moon roof, 3rd seat row, optional airbags, day lights, and special color: blizzard white.

I can not get off of the options like airbags and day light because they are part of the packages pre-defined by Toyota. Specifically my options will take more time... Also they said that it will be available withing 30 days, so hopefully after I come back from my vacations , I will be driving it.

If I wait like 2 months more, probably there will be a discounts from the MSRP price, but you know, I already waited so much time for a new car... and the new Rav4 worth it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm so glad you decided to go for the Rav :). You won't regret it :). As for the road noise, i think probably those reviews that you've read were from driving on a highway or something. A drive just around the block might not be noisy at all, but hey! you loved the Rav and that's just good news for us :D :p.

FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
One more thing to consider: Honda will be making a new generation CRV for 2007, and you can bet it will be similar to the new RAV 4 (I believe it will be based on the same platform as the Acura RD-X that debuts in the Spring). So it will probably pay off to be patient and lean toward the RAV rather than the current CRV, which in a year or so will be a bit outdated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts