Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rav4 started to power out then died restarted went 3rd mile same thing repeated 10 times then wouldn't start thought it was fuel pump replaced wasn't it.checked for spark no spark put code reader on it po335 crankshaft sensor took out tested ohms at 1300 has anyone else had this problem possible other thinks could be wrong dont want to play the put new parts on game

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Coil(s) would have been my first guess. But could be many things, including the sensor.

·
Registered
576 Posts
-- If I am remembering correctly, a bad signal from the CKP sensor will cause no spark.

-- Clear the codes. Try to start the Rav4 again. Does the code recur?

-- Check the negative terminal battery cable. Is it clean and snug? Is the point where it bolts to the Rav4 body clean and snug?

-- Check the wires to the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor. Any signs of chafing or a broken or shorted wire?

-- When you had things apart to remove the sensor, did you inspect the CKP sensor's reluctor? This is the part that rotates on the end of the crankshaft. The reluctor has 34 teeth that, along with the crankshaft position sensor, sends 34 signals to the engine computer with each revolution.

-- I might try to remove a few of the bolts holding the upper timing belt cover in place and pry the cover open enough so that I could see the timing belt. Have someone try to start the Rav while you watch. Does it look like the timing belt is slipping?

-- From the manual:
P0335 DTC Detecting Condition
No crankshaft position sensor signal to ECM during cranking (2 trip detection logic)

No crankshaft position sensor signal to ECM with engine speed 600 rpm or more (2 trip detection logic)

Possible Trouble Areas:
Open or short in crankshaft position sensor circuit
Crankshaft position sensor
Starter
ECM (computer) [Elle's note: It is highly unlikely to be the computer]

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Glad you found/fixed it! Now, consider doing some PM; the parts vendors will thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts