Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised that there are no warning beeps on the 2006 RAV4 when the headlights are left ON while parking and after the keys are removed. Do they automatically go off after a while? My much less fancier Mitsubishi Lancer let out a beep when the headlights are left ON and the keys are removed.

Another issue is that the mirror/reading lights also dont give any warning beeps when left ON. My wife had accidentally had the mirror lights ON in the evening yesterday when we parked the vehicle and because of good daylight ( 6 PM) we did not notice it and when we returned (it was already night time) and we noticed that the passenger lights were ON while walking to the car itself and the lights had been ON for more than 4 hours. It did not drain the battery but this could potentially turn out to be an issue if parked for a long time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The headlights/running lights turn off after a short time or as soon as you open the drivers door.

I found this in the manual...

ILLUMINATED ENTRY SYSTEM
 This system is controlled by the main body ECU.
 When any one of the following conditions is satisfied, the illuminated entry system turns on the key
illumination, room light, front personal light and foot light*.
1) Any door is opened.
2) A door is unlocked through a driver door key transmitter operation.
3) All doors are closed and the ignition switch is turned from ON to OFF.
 When any one of the following conditions is satisfied, these lights will fade out (in approx. 1 sec.).
1) After continuing to be on for approx. 15 sec. after all doors have been properly closed.
2) All doors are closed and all doors are locked.
3) All doors are closed and the ignition switch is turned to ACC or ON.

A battery saving function is used to automatically turn the key illumination, room light, front personal light
and foot light* OFF when the following condition occurs continuously for over 20 minutes: the key is not
in the ignition key cylinder when any door is either ajar or open.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've found that hitting the keyless remote lock button will turn off the headlights.

Also note that it takes a lot to kill the battery on a modern car, especially a new one. I've left the interior lights on my 99 4-runner several times and never a dead battery. Even after 60K miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont have my rav yet....(5/29/06)...but my car now (chevy prizm aka toyota corolla 2002) has the sensor bulb that turns the lights on and off...which we all know the rav doesnt have...so the question is....essentially, could the headlights be on all the time? since there are already DRL why not....let me know if you think there is a problem with this thought....

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
I leave mine on all the time, my last vehicle had auto headlights and it's been hard for this old guy to get used to turning them on and off all the time, so I just leave em on all the time. I suppose it will decrease bulb life, but they're not that expensive to replace, they may not be easy to replace, tho!

They turn off automatically after 30 seconds after locking the vehicle or immediately if you double click the remote to lock it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok i'm really glad to hear that works. after being spoiled by the sensor the last 5 years, i think its going to be difficult to get used to turning them ON....especially if there are already DRL...if you dont have any problems doing this i dont see why i would. :) thanks!!! i can't wait! 14 days to go....

S

·
0 Posts
My tC does the same thing - if left on after I stop the engine, the headlights/running lights turn themselves off when the door is opened. Same thing with the interior lighting - I've accidentally tested this, too.

This is a much more useful feature than beeping like crazy - they just quietly turn themselves off with no fuss.

It's good to hear that the new RAV has all this, and I can't wait to trade up in a few months. Our '99 seems so...well, stone-age compared to my tC. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts