Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 2012 Rav4 Base, 49,000 miles. There is no warning noise or notification that the lights are left on when the engine has been turned off and the key is removed from the ignition. Is this normal? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
My 2011 Base RAV switches off the headlights automatically when the engine is switched off, but mine has the optional Upgrade Value Package so that function may be different from the normal Base function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I never thought they might go off automatically. They do not come on automatically. I'll stick around to see if they go off.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I believe all North American 4.3 models have auto-off headlights, regardless of configuration.

Only the Limited models and (I'm pretty sure) some Sport SAP models had headlights that would automatically turn on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It took me a bit to figure out my headlights on my'12. I thought they had a twilight sensor but I just leave mine on most of the time and they shut off about 30 seconds after I turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I believe they shut off 30 seconds after the last door is closed. In other words they won't go off until one or more doors are opened, and then they are all closed again.

The lights can be turned off immediately if the lock button on the keyfob is pushed twice.

This only works if the headlights were already on when you turned off the ignition. If you turn off the ignition and then turn on the lights, they will never go off automatically, although they will automatically start dimming after a few hours.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I believe all North American 4.3 models have auto-off headlights, regardless of configuration.

Only the Limited models and (I'm pretty sure) some Sport SAP models had headlights that would automatically turn on.

the auto on was an option on any sport...not just the SAP.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We recently purchased a 2012 Rav4 Base, 49,000 miles. There is no warning noise or notification that the lights are left on when the engine has been turned off and the key is removed from the ignition. Is this normal?
Thanks for the quick response. I never thought they might go off automatically. They do not come on automatically. I'll stick around to see if they go off.
I also learned about this feature from the forum, and it works on my Base model. A lot of RAV drivers leave the light switch "on" all the time. When they turn off the ignition and exit, the lights go out after 30-seconds. When they enter again and start up, the lights come back on again.

I use the old-school method of just turning off the light switch manually when I'm done driving. Maybe it is minimal, but I don't like the extra load on the battery and the voltage fluctuation on the bulbs at start-up. It's nice if I forget--the lights will go off and prevent a battery drain. Like I said, manual switch off is maybe an old-school approach and YMMV. One less 'nanny' to rely on.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
I've been driving mine for almost 7 years and 45,000 miles and always keep the headlight switch on. They have never failed to turn off after 30 seconds or immediately when I hit the lock button twice. Still running the original bulbs too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As long as you don't inadvertently defeat the programmed logic, they'll turn off as described above. The logic programming appears to require first turning the car off, removing the keys and then opening and closing the door in that order. I managed to screw it up one time when I opened the door before turning the key off. Luckily I noticed the lights were still on several minutes later before there was enough time to run the battery flat.

The other way to screw it up is to turn the lights on when the car is off and forget to turn them off again. No auto off in that case.

And no there's audible warning tone to remind you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts