Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the tip. When I get mine and take it through the brushless car wash at Sheetz, I will have to check it out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can you take a picture ?

Mine has a rubber preventing water from getting into the engine bay. Next time I wash the car I will open and see.

Could you open the hood to have a look next time?
Thanks for the heads up.

I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Common sense, there should be a piece of rubber or plastic fill the gap ? Or the Canadian version forgot to install it? Actually, I went back to the dealer and find out all of the new RAV4 are all the same as mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I put a piece of rubber (garage door bottom seal) on it. But the gap is much wider than I thought. I might have to find a thicker rubber to fill it.
20190606_115037.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny thing is, if you check the plastic headlamp cover, there are still two open screw holes on the back. I think this is the spot for installing seal rubber or plastic.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm pretty sure this gap is intentional, and related to air flow under the hood. There's a passage leading back towards the center behind the grill. Those front corners should have negative pressure when the car is moving which would draw air out. IOW I don't think I would assume anything or mess with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never known any car would need the air to cool the engine. And also what I see is this gap make the engine compartment like a dust collector! My last Malibu's engine top cover looks like brand new even after one year. But now RAV4 is already very dusty even just two weeks in use.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Never known any car would need the air to cool the engine. And also what I see is this gap make the engine compartment like a dust collector! My last Malibu's engine top cover looks like brand new even after one year. But now RAV4 is already very dusty even just two weeks in use.
I didn't mean its about cooling, although it could be. It could also be about aerodynamics. Far more likely to be one or both of those things than it is to be a mistake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope this is not the Canadian version problem. Can any one post the US or other country's version picture? I guess we might have to wait till 2020 RAV4 come out to know the real answer. 2019 is the brand new one, if there is any design mistake, Toyota would quietly fix it in the newer model year.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hope this is not the Canadian version problem. Can any one post the US or other country's version picture? I guess we might have to wait till 2020 RAV4 come out to know the real answer. 2019 is the brand new one, if there is any design mistake, Toyota would quietly fix it in the newer model year.
They are all the same. Not sure I would label this a "problem", its how its designed.

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
I suggest you choose a different car wash, mine's been washed many times since December, and there's no evidence of any water (water spots) under the hood, plus I've driven close to 50 miles on dusty gravel roads in the last couple months, there's no dust under the hood either.

Lots of dust on the rear window though, it builds up to the point there's no visibility, have to stop to brush it off, it won't self-clean until I hit 50-60mph after back on pavement.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here's a picture of my Limited US version built in Japan.
No gasket

1 - 20 of 176 Posts