Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had actually went back in this same thread and found a picture of someone with them installed from the factory and went off of that. I can post pictures if you need clearer views of it. They just attach with double sided tape. Very easy. Just pull the backing off, align, and press down. They can even be pulled up a little if misaligned slightly. I took some alcohol and just wiped off the top of the headlight to be sure it would attach well. Took all of a couple minutes to get the whole thing done. It even fit perfectly behind the edge of the paint protection film I had installed on the headlights. I think the pattern they used for cutting it was based off of the European version with the gasket since it fit so well.
When I was on BAM's site, I had to select the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid XSE in order for the fitness guide to agree with the part. It also appears that the part is for the project beam type headlight but this top edge should be the same shape.

So the OEM version you installed looks like this with the slits for the curve?

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
For some reason, mine started popping up higher as time went on. I even just added the hood insulation and it still pops up OK. One thing I did do was remove what appears to be cosmoline or some other rust protectant that keeps oozing from some holes in the upper hood area onto a couple of the rubber hood seals. It's quite sticky when cold.
My hood weighs considerably more than the stock hood with OEM insulator, likely close to 10lbs more with the butyl sound deadener and acoustic foam in addition to the insulator.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This last time I went to open it up it popped up higher to more easily open it from the front. I am probably going to fill the rest of the gap over the headlight with something. I don't like that it acts as a sail to catch unneeded air. I feel it can make it just that much more aerodynamic. Call me OCD. Idk. I'm the hypermile type, so thats my game I guess.

I'm hearing more and more road noise and I'm getting ready to add the sound deadening to mine as well. I'm wondering if after adding the butyl, if stuffing acoustic foam in between that and the door panel to fill the air gap, would help as well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just ordered mine from my Toyota dealer. They claim that there are only 2 of one and 3 of the other in the whole of the U.S. Hope they come.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just ordered mine from my Toyota dealer. They claim that there are only 2 of one and 3 of the other in the whole of the U.S. Hope they come.
BAM Wholesale shows they have them in stock

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
$9 and change for a roll of P-seal, the extra could be used to seal the top of the door a bit better to reduce wind noise.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The hood insulator does reduce the noise a small amount. Whether it's enough to justify the expense of buying it is up to the owner. Personally, I'm happy with the results. As to the headlight seals, my dealer didn't call me to say they couldn't get them, so I'm waiting for them arrive. And why does Toyota call the part a "headlight protector"?

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
And why does Toyota call the part a "headlight protector"?
Good question considering the other rubber hood molding is called either a seal (left, right and rear) or just weatherstrip (front). Toyota has some weird nomenclature and parts policies, I wanted the Canadian seatback cargo liner for my '16 Ltd HV, only source was a Canadian dealer who told me it was made in the US. Talked to my local dealer parts guy who said it was entirely possible, but he couldn't order it, also told me he couldn't order Prius mudguards from Toyota, they weren't listed, he had to order them from a Southeast region dealer! So I ordered the liner from the Canadian dealer, same for the OEM Euro side window visors.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Speaking of big gaps, I was checking out the hatch area, and there is an abnormally large gap up at the top when it's closed. I'm thinking of trying to find something to seal that up. Might help the wind noise a little here and there by sealing it up more and more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Speaking of big gaps, I was checking out the hatch area, and there is an abnormally large gap up at the top when it's closed. I'm thinking of trying to find something to seal that up. Might help the wind noise a little here and there by sealing it up more and more.
Thanks for the part number pics. The ones I just picked up didn't say RH or LH under the numbers, although it looks apparent as to how they are supposed to be installed. You got me curious on the gap at the back hatch. I'm going to check that out too next time I wash the car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the part number pics. The ones I just picked up didn't say RH or LH under the numbers, although it looks apparent as to how they are supposed to be installed. You got me curious on the gap at the back hatch. I'm going to check that out too next time I wash the car.
I'm going to stop by the auto parts store and see if I can find really any type of seal that can fill the gap. I'm beginning to be on a sort of mission to seal this thing up tight. So done with wind noise. If I wanted to hear wind, I'd ride my motorcycles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You want a car with wind noise, drive a Subaru Crosstrek. That car was horribly noisy on the highway. Had to crank up the radio to hear the music. The Rav4 sounds quiet and solid in comparison, so that's saying something. I'll check out that gap next time I open the rear hatch.

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
No more in stock at BAM. They said it's on back order with Toyota and no ETA
Been on back order for a while now.

There's always the Etopars on Amazon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?
I resolved the problem myself I purchased D-Shape Weather Stripping - 0.59" Height X 0.47" Width (15 X 12 mm) - fits Gap 0.3"- 0.44" (7-12 mm), Rubber Seal Hollow Black - 20 Feet Length (6.10 M) from Amazon and it worked great. Added it back in July right to the top of each headlight between the existing seals on both sides following the hood curvature and making sure it is all just inside. I run my RAV through a pretty powerful car wash at least once a week and use Torque Detail Ceramic Shine and then Mirror shine ever so often. I just changed my windshield wash and checked my K&N Air Filter. The filter was still clean with no debris or even a dusting and the engine area was clean as a whistle. I never had the problem with water coming in as you claim, but since a few folks mentioned it I took preventive corrective action. The seal is perfect, just make sure you inspect in case the weather causes it to get hard and brittle in extreme cold weather etc.... Silicone spray may be a good thing to use on it.

Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never known any car would need the air to cool the engine. And also what I see is this gap make the engine compartment like a dust collector! My last Malibu's engine top cover looks like brand new even after one year. But now RAV4 is already very dusty even just two weeks in use.
Only drag cars with a need for cowl or vented hoods to lessen heatsoak. Not a small 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?
HI, not sure if you resolved this yet but I recently got a 2020 Rav and I discovered that there are 2 black rubber grommets or posts that the hood rests on when closed. They are adjustable by just twisting them down the gap will get smaller. It won't eliminate the gap but it gets noticeably tighter. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For those of you that have installed the headlight gaskets do you think they reduced any type of wind noise? I live in a place with very little raid so I'm more interested in reducing noise then anything else.

So far I've installed the 2020 OEM hood insulation, Noico and denim felt throughout all the doors and cargo area, and it feels like my 2019 Adventure is approaching luxury SUV noise levels now. I would like to replace the nosier Toyo tires that came on the vehicle and apply some window tint on the front door windows to help with noise reduction there.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts