Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Nobody noticed there are two Big Gaps between the hood cover and headlamp?

118854 445
I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?
401 - 420 of 446 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Our 2022 XLEP HV did not come with them. I ordered from the dealer and installed. Only took 3 days to arrive. Same part number as listed early on in this thread except it now ends in 31 not 30. Top of the lamp assembly is the same as 19-21. 2022 changes were to the inside. Ours was built in Kentucky as well. Really wanted a Canadian Build, but so far so good can't complain about anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our 2022 XLEP HV did not come with them. I ordered from the dealer and installed. Only took 3 days to arrive. Same part number as listed early on in this thread except it now ends in 31 not 30. Top of the lamp assembly is the same as 19-21. 2022 changes were to the inside. Ours was built in Kentucky as well. Really wanted a Canadian Build, but so far so good can't complain about anything.
Was there a sticker do just stick it on the headlamp?

·
Registered
7 Posts
They said that they would have to special order it and I cant return special orders so I want to make sure that it fits

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
They said that they would have to special order it and I cant return special orders so I want to make sure that it fits
I can’t speak for today. At the time I ordered them they were in stock at our dealers warehouse. That was early January.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, my god. I just bought a 2022 RAV4 hybrid SE last week. At dealership, I already noticed the gap between the hood and headlamp is huge. Same huge gap for the back lift gate (see the attached picture). Asked the dealer, he said the car has only 4 miles and no one touched the hood yet. Will Toyota RAV4 huge hood gap is by design? Actually I saw a 2022 RAV4 hybrid XSE has smaller gap on the dealership. I asked the deal he said XSE is several thousand dollar more than SE trim. So? The gap size depends on the money you put. The more money, the smaller gap?

the problem is when you wash the car , the dirty water could get inside. The other problem is when you drive on free way with higher speed, the wind may blow away the hood. I cannot believe Toyota manufacturing produce a SUV with so big gap between front hood and head lamp, and the back lift gate.
Water Hood Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Oh, my god. I just bought a 2022 RAV4 hybrid SE last week. At dealership, I already noticed the gap between the hood and headlamp is huge. Same huge gap for the back lift gate (see the attached picture). Asked the dealer, he said the car has only 4 miles and no one touched the hood yet. Will Toyota RAV4 huge hood gap is by design? Actually I saw a 2022 RAV4 hybrid XSE has smaller gap on the dealership. I asked the deal he said XSE is several thousand dollar more than SE trim. So? The gap size depends on the money you put. The more money, the smaller gap?

the problem is when you wash the car , the dirty water could get inside. The other problem is when you drive on free way with higher speed, the wind may blow away the hood. I cannot believe Toyota manufacturing produce a SUV with so big gap between front hood and head lamp, and the back lift gate. View attachment 179886 View attachment 179886 s
Does your VIN begin with 4?

·
Banned
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium loaded
139 Posts

the problem is when you wash the car , the dirty water could get inside. The other problem is when you drive on free way with higher speed, the wind may blow away the hood. I cannot believe Toyota manufacturing produce a SUV with so big gap between front hood and head lamp, and the back lift gate. View attachment 179886
There is a solution for this problem. You need to install these ASAP, for you safety. I'd hate to have have your hood come flying open at highway speeds. You'd lose all forward visibility and could cause a crash.

·
Banned
139 Posts
My 2 week old 2022 XSE Hybrid (Japan) does not have those seals, and sure enough, water gets into the engine compartment in car washes and heavy rain. I emailed the dealership a week ago, no reply yet, will be following up today.

View attachment 180495 View attachment 180496
Your dealer isn't going to do anything about it. It's designed that way from Toyota. It's not a manufacturing defect or a safely issue. They will gladly order the supplemental weather strips, but you will have to pay for them.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 hybrid Limited Ruby Red Flare
447 Posts
Your dealer isn't going to do anything about it. It's designed that way from Toyota. It's not a manufacturing defect or a safely issue. They will gladly order the supplemental weather strips, but you will have to pay for them.
You’d think it would come with weather strips. Don’t understand the design having this gap.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Further back in this thread, I had posted a European picture where headlight washers were an option and their RAV4 had the seal installed. This makes sense since the spray would be spraying upwards and in this area. Then there were some that posted saying that their RAV4's in North America without headlight washer came with the seal. So the jury is still out as to when they are applied at the factory and when they are not. My 2019 gas Limited built in Japan did not come with them. I bought my pair from BAM Wholesales installed them and haven't looked back. One of the cheaper mods.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Further back in this thread, I had posted a European picture where headlight washers were an option and their RAV4 had the seal installed. This makes sense since the spray would be spraying upwards and in this area. Then there were some that posted saying that their RAV4's in North America without headlight washer came with the seal. So the jury is still out as to when they are applied at the factory and when they are not. My 2019 gas Limited built in Japan did not come with them. I bought my pair from BAM Wholesales installed them and haven't looked back. One of the cheaper mods.
My dealer has these for a buck cheaper than BAM.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
I got them installed a bit ago. I tried to get them as close to factory look as I could, so I looked at VonJot's pictures of their European model with the protectors installed from the factory on page 1. I think this is how they were meant to be installed so I threw together a little guide to help others.

I used the outside edge of the protector to follow this line in the plastic lens. At the back end of both lenses there are little triangle raised notches. I used them to align the cut out on the strip to the lens.

View attachment 153361

View attachment 153362

View attachment 153363

The finished product!

View attachment 153364

View attachment 153365

View attachment 153366

View attachment 153367

View attachment 153368

I don't know if others have noticed this about their RAV4 but on mine the hood visibly moves near the windshield slightly when driving at highway speeds, like its being pushed up from the inside. I notice this especially when behind/passing semis. I took a drive on the interstate at 70 MPH after installing these and the movement of the hood is nearly zero now. Not sure if this is just a quirk of my RAV4 or not, the hood is tight as can be, but I'm guessing the wind rushing in these headlight slots is enough to cause some movement.
I purchased my OEM protectors originally for my 2019 XLE back in 2020 (Page 10 of this huge thread😂), and when I traded it in for my 2020 I peeled them off and reused them. Coming up on 2 years now and they are still firmly stuck in place and the engine bay around the lens protectors are pretty clean still, no water/mud stains. I get some dust and pollen under the hood but I just wipe it down a few times a year. I like the look of a clean engine bay. :)

Would recommend the purchase to those on the fence. It is cheap and an easy mod for your new Rav4.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Grey

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good to know about the extra gaskets.
My 2020gas Lim engine bay was very dirty for same miles driven as other vehicles. The front side of the airfilter box was collecting dirt, gave it a wash down today.

I went looking for the parts listed around post #10, it seems Toyota made a change to these:
81117-42831
81157-42831

Last digit went from 0 to 1

·
Registered
White 2021 RAV4 LE / FWD with XP Trail Package
3 Posts
In my opinion, Toyota intentionally left that gap unsealed. The hood gap over the headlights, while unsightly... appears to function for heat extraction. If you hold your hand across the gap area after driving the vehicle, the heat escaping through the gap from the engine bay will be detectable. Significant heat extraction is not detectable elsewhere, not to the rear of the hood, the front grills or under the vehicle due to the aero cladding that covers most of the engine bay. In my experience, water intrusion through the gaps due to rain or car washing has been minimal.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
100 Posts
In my opinion, Toyota intentionally left that gap unsealed. The hood gap over the headlights, while unsightly... appears to function for heat extraction. If you hold your hand across the gap area after driving the vehicle, the heat escaping through the gap from the engine bay will be detectable. Significant heat extraction is not detectable elsewhere, not to the rear of the hood, the front grills or under the vehicle due to the aero cladding that covers most of the engine bay. In my experience, water intrusion through the gaps due to rain or car washing has been minimal.
Sealed or unsealed - the fact remains that Toyota paid a bunch of engineers to design an OEM gasket that can be applied to the front headlight assembly and then paid suppliers to fabricate said parts.

401 - 420 of 446 Posts