Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Nobody noticed there are two Big Gaps between the hood cover and headlamp?

118849 445
I did a car wash in a gas station yesterday, happen to find out that water were blow all over inside the engine compartment after wash by the drying blower. I checked all the hood insulation between the cover and the car body. This gap is what cause it, I think. I can't understand why new Rav4 was designed in this way?
441 - 446 of 446 Posts

Ā·
Registered
659 Posts
Reading this thread caused me to checkšŸ¤”...
After a long drive one can definitely feel the heat escaping from this area not covered by the rubber gasket material.
After a drive, I can feel heat coming out of everywhere, glass cowl area, wheel wells, hood lines, etc. Open the hood, one BIG gap, lots of heat comes out.

Two small gaps are not making a big diff. If people think that, then stick a BT enabled temp sensor under the hood and take before and after measurements.

Ā·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts
Honestly I've popped the hood immediately after getting home and the engine didn't seem abnormally hot at all (With the headlight seals, and gap behind them sealed. Today I was actually surprised by just how cool it was). It's been in like the 70's and 80's here lately for reference. I think we need to remember that a lot of cool air comes in through the front bumper, in addition to the ac fan and cooling fan pulling outside air in. The big metal hood kind of acting like a heatsink too.

Now, I do think there is a bit of heatsoak after you shut the engine off, but I'm not concerned about that all.

Ā·
Registered
659 Posts
Honestly I've popped the hood immediately after getting home and the engine didn't seem abnormally hot at all (With the headlight seals, and gap behind them sealed. Today I was actually surprised by just how cool it was). It's been in like the 70's and 80's here lately for reference. I think we need to remember that a lot of cool air comes in through the front bumper, in addition to the ac fan and cooling fan pulling outside air in. The big metal hood kind of acting like a heatsink too.

Now, I do think there is a bit of heatsoak after you shut the engine off, but I'm not concerned about that all.
If the vehicle is moving a lot, the bay stays cool.

After a hwy drive, let it idle in driveway for 30min, then see how hot the bay is.

Without airflow, whatever heat the bay has, goes up, and can in fact make the temps rise of everything in the bay.

I too don't think "heatsoak" is of any issue for Rav4 (well, it can be in some vehicles). My Lexus v8 has a big plastic cover over the top of the engine. Why trap heat? Guessing Toyota sees no issue in that, and, having a cover looks better when you open the hood. Caveat, heatsoak can be an issue in some cases. My Lexus alternator is fairly close to exhaust header pipe, and w/o airflow from driving the radiant heat from the pipe does raise temp of the alternator.

I also do not think Toyota takes a lot of time experimenting with high-production low-cost vehicles. They build to meet Govt requirements of the various markets their vehicles are sold in. Careful balance between regulations, costs, and features. The Lexus brand however seems to be more refined.

Ā·
Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
160 Posts
I installed those oem toyota weatherstrips a week or so ago. They're a little pricey now. I paid $18 each from mcgeorge toyota, msrp is $27, and your local dealer could charge even more. Even after installing those, there's still about a 4" gap farther up the hood, which I've seen mentioned in this thread or another thread on this topic.

I decided to seal up that small gap today, and the stuff I used seems pretty good quality, and could be an alternative to the oem toyota seals which have gone up in price. $1.55 a foot and free shipping, height and width are basically the same as the oem toyota seals. Automotive RV Marine Exterior Hollow D Rubber Door Hatch Weather Strip w/ Seal (original link was broken, fixed now)
There wasn't really a good sealing surface behind the headlights, so I attached it to the hood. oem toyota seals are 17" long, if you want to cover the extra gap that I did today, you'll need 23" for each side.

Living in Maine I'm not too worried about trapping heat, engine compartment should be able to withstand the heat produced.
View attachment 186832 View attachment 186833 View attachment 186834 View attachment 186835
So you ordered 46" total length, for the D-Rubber Seal..? What about what you trimmed off for the Push Pin, also do you have a link to the Push Pin...?

I ordered the Factory trim Seal and they came in the other day.
Thank you~!!!

Ā·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
209 Posts
So you ordered 46" total length, for the D-Rubber Seal..? What about what you trimmed off for the Push Pin, also do you have a link to the Push Pin...?
Sounds like you're going to do what I did. If you bought the toyota seals for the left and right headlights, you will only need an extra 6" or so on each side to cover the extra gap, 12" total (Edit: Total length of my strip is 7", longer than needed for push pin mounting hole). I bought 2'-3' from automotive authority so that I had extra on hand in case I messed somethin up. You only need 46" total length if you don't use the oem toyota headlight seals, and if you want complete coverage

I wish I could provide a part number for the push pin I used. I planned to, until I realized that all of my push pins like that are mixed together. I think it's from my old subaru though, and I think I picked up a small bag of them at napa because subaru wanted like $3-$4 for 1 of them. Napa should have a bunch of clips like that, I'd take a dial caliper in and try and match up the specs from the link below.

The hood hole it goes into is 6.8mm wide, and I don't remember the depth, but it's deeper than you'd think, so that shouldn't be an issue. The head of my clip is 18mm like in the link above, and a stem diameter of 7.7mm seems like it'd make sense for a 6.8mm hole
Automotive tire Tread Sleeve Grey Tire

Ā·
Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
160 Posts
Sounds like you're going to do what I did. If you bought the toyota seals for the left and right headlights, you will only need an extra 6" or so on each side to cover the extra gap, 12" total (Edit: Total length of my strip is 7", longer than needed for push pin mounting hole). I bought 2'-3' from automotive authority so that I had extra on hand in case I messed somethin up. You only need 46" total length if you don't use the oem toyota headlight seals, and if you want complete coverage

I wish I could provide a part number for the push pin I used. I planned to, until I realized that all of my push pins like that are mixed together. I think it's from my old subaru though, and I think I picked up a small bag of them at napa because subaru wanted like $3-$4 for 1 of them. Napa should have a bunch of clips like that, I'd take a dial caliper in and try and match up the specs from the link below.

The hood hole it goes into is 6.8mm wide, and I don't remember the depth, but it's deeper than you'd think, so that shouldn't be an issue. The head of my clip is 18mm like in the link above, and a stem diameter of 7.7mm seems like it'd make sense for a 6.8mm hole
View attachment 187468
Exactly what i needed, thanx for that and the Pictures,

I like to give as much complete information as i can and i see you do as well, much Appreciated...

441 - 446 of 446 Posts