Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a tire gauge and check all four of my tires and found out they were around 30psi, so the next morning I went to refill them to around 34 for all of them.

After driving for a little bit after the refill, I start to hear click/clunk noise from the rear of the car when I go over bumps sometime. It does not always appear but you can definitely hear the clunk.

Please let me know what is the cause, if it's very serious and how much would the repair be if needed, I am planning to taking it to my mechanic next week.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Probably a loose jack, spare or something in the rear that got worse with more pressure. More pressure = harsher ride. Pressure should be 32 lbs, and I'd test that gauge. I have several and found some to be downright way off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a loose jack, spare or something in the rear that got worse with more pressure. More pressure = harsher ride. Pressure should be 32 lbs, and I'd test that gauge. I have several and found some to be downright way off.
Thank you KJPAT08, I really do hope the problem is what you mentioned and nothing more, I read online that sometimes those noise could lead to suspension problem.

I opened up where the jack is and it is very tight and I could not even take it out, I moved it a little so hope the noise will go away. The lock for the spare cover is frozen so I did not get a chance to inspect the spare. Would any other part contribute to the noise? it's definitely not a soft ticking sound... It's just weird that I never experienced that noise before the tire refill.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Your pump shaking at the back...
Spare tire cover
Licence plate
Something loose in the lower cargo area
Broken rear control arm, etc...

Too many things to think of. Get some one in the back. Still better, you let someone else drive while you investigate.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well, you could always put the tire pressure back to 30, per your gauge and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then I would guess it's something loose that rattles due to the harder ride. If it doesn't go away, then you'll have to proceed as suggested on this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Considering how doggone cold it is now, I'm not surprised by the new car noises. Last Winter I put a thin layer of foam over the top of the spare tire which took care of a mystery sound. Do not despair! It will work out. My dealer is very good and took mine out for a good ride, checked the suspension, all the right stuff. Perhaps yours will as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts