Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Rav4 has a annoying sound at the rear when driving along rough roads or hitting a small pothole. Sounds like a loose door. Took out the spare tire and cleared out the back but it still has the sound. Any ideas? Thanks,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might be something underneath, or it might be something in one of the storage compartments on either side in the back. I'm not sure, what with no more information than that.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a metal clugging noise, you cannot fix it. It's something to do with the rear metal/rubber/metal tear and wear. Unless you can find some tyre rubber to fit the metal support. Located just below the door lock. Not on the door though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Someone (I think it was Moza/Mohit but I may be wrong) helped me with this problem a few years ago. I had it BAD and the noise was driving me nuts. (This was on my '96, not my current Rav.)

The super simple, 30 second fix for me was to spray the rear door latch very thoroughly with lubricant such as WD-40. I sprayed both the door and the vehicle at the latch location heavily with WD-40 and the noise went away like magic. When it eventually came back (several months later) I just sprayed it again and it went away again.

Becky

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeh it was me :) the rear door noise started on my rav a few years ago and took me months to find out where it was coming from but now its completely gone.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bmorton and the rest for the excellent info, it was the v shape guide, w/o the rubber cushion,it was metal to metal hitting each other causing the sound. My solution was to take off the guide and dunk it in "liquid rubber" used to coat handles on tools so they wont be slippery. Reinstalled the guide and no more noise!!
Now this method may not offer a long term solution since opening and closing the door will cause the coated surface to peel in the long run but if you have a better solution pls share. Thanks again!! :D
BTW I changed the stock shocks at the rear, what a difference, not as "bouncy" and helped out in taming other noise. Even inexpensive shockes( gabriel) are alot better than stockers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts