Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help figuring out what may be wrong with my 2006 Toyota rav4 limited. The problem started three days ago in the afternoon (around noon). When I was leaving my parking spot and traveling, when I went to turn there was a horrible groin noise coming from the front end wheel area. If I turned right the noise came from the front passenger wheel area, and when turning left the noise came from drivers front wheel area. After driving the Rav a few miles the noise can no longer be heard when turning.

However it comes back every morning and afternoon (after the Rav has been sitting for awhile). The weather has been cold but not freezing, and it is Florida.

Any help or advise is appreciated !! :confused::confused:

over 130,000 miles on Rav if the information is needed

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts
Your RAV4 lives in Florida, where the weather is humid, not unlike Louisiana. When your car sits for 8 or more hours in humid conditions, a thin film of rust will accumulate on the brake rotors. The rust will be scraped off the first couple of times you apply your brakes after this rust forms. This is perfectly normal, mine does it too. For some reason it seems all brake noises seem to be amplified in the RAV4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is not when braking though. The noise only happens when going around the corner (no brake pressing) and straightening back up to drive down road.

I do live on a dirt road also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0630 went to leave for work. Temp gage in rav said 36 degrees Fahrenheit. Sitting in park turning wheels no sound other then a pop on passenger front side when turning wheel right. Once rav in motion sound appears. By around 10 miles down road when turning no sound when turning.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Check the strut mounts and intermediate shaft or steering parts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
130k on front components(LCA /w BJs ,sway bar bushings/strut stablizer links, tie rods inner/outer, rack & pinion unit) maybe drive-train(front cv half-shafts) ??? alotta items start to fail with 130k, i got a 2wd base 07 I4 , almost the same issue, replace damn near everything....some parts on 3x, i drive alot, (198K) goin for the driver side cv axle next, fixed the "clunk" in the i-shaft...so that's covered, the idle-cold sitting with wheel turned... the "pop" on right side could be the lower ball-joint(BJs) you need to get the front up off the ground, unloaded....check static and dynamic conditions, static would be simple grab'n the tires at 6-12 positions with both hands and 3-9 checking for any play...dynamic test have an assistant outside vehicle listening for noises at "cold" condition as you reported and put in gear with foot cover'n brake slowly let up and check noises turning left/right.....again be CAREFUL!! i don't have rav w/4wd , just 2wd.....so not sure if you can attempt to jack up front and check when in gear, maybe others here that have 4wd can suggest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well went by Firestone tire and brakes. They checked out the wheel areas and said bearings, brakes, and calipers are working fine. Have seemed to isolated noise to front passenger side. Everything seems to be fine in reverse, once in gear going forward I get sound.

Yesterday went to car wash and sprayed out wheel area ( I live on a dirt road and thought maybe it's dirty) that seemed to have made everything worse. Noise is more common now. And now a jolt when going forward. Again everything is isolated to front passenger side.

Firstone guy told me possible transfer case for transmission. Guess it's time to take to dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Word back from the dealer. Sounds like I may be shopping for a new RAV or something different. Both front and rear differentials and drive shaft is bad.

The noise was front differential going per the mechanic.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Ouch! - That's an expensive diagnosis! Seems to be an unusual situation given that there aren't a huge number of miles on your RAV. Driving on a dirt road may be a factor but seals are supposed to keep dust out of driveline components. But if the dust is very fine that could get past seals more readily. Or dust may not be a cause for the problem. You might want to go to another shop for a second diagnosis and opinion.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Ouch! - That's an expensive diagnosis! Seems to be an unusual situation given that there aren't a huge number of miles on your RAV. Driving on a dirt road may be a factor but seals are supposed to keep dust out of driveline components. But if the dust is very fine that could get past seals more readily. Or dust may not be a cause for the problem. You might want to go to another shop for a second diagnosis and opinion.
Definitely get a second opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts