Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 19 Rav4 Adventure for about less then a month, and this noise started to develop overtime.
Wanted to see if anyone can relate to this noise.

Clips are from two separate days.
Seems to only occur when the car is cold, once everything is warmed up, the noise completely disappears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like the old joke:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

Seriously, don't even dare THINK of taking something like that to a dealer, so some ape can rip it out, scratch everything up, put a piece of tape under it, then nail it back in place with a hammer. Obviously, a bit of an exaggeration there, and hopefully you'll get somebody a bit better than that, but you won't know until you drive away. And it might just rattle and squeak every inch of the way home. It can happen.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don’t think mine is nearly that bad/loud (though I haven’t really banged on it like that), but I have noticed a noise from that area when it’s cold (both outdoor temp and engine/vehicle temp).

Almost seems like there’s a connection loose or something like that, but it feels sturdy and always goes away quickly once things have warmed up. To be honest, hasn’t seemed serious enough to bug me...but watching your vid does seems like it’s similar to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think mine is nearly that bad/loud (though I haven’t really banged on it like that), but I have noticed a noise from that area when it’s cold (both outdoor temp and engine/vehicle temp).

Almost seems like there’s a connection loose or something like that, but it feels sturdy and always goes away quickly once things have warmed up. To be honest, hasn’t seemed serious enough to bug me...but watching your vid does seems like it’s similar to that.

I didn't even bang it hard, I noticed it when my leg tapped it as I entered the car, then I decided to tap it ever so slightly to see if I can replicate the noise.
It also makes that noise occasionally as I go over bump (only when the car engine or the outside temperature is cold)
It used to only make that noise when I go into manual, which didn't bother me, but it bothered me enough to ask when it started making noises when I just tap the side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the old joke:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

Seriously, don't even dare THINK of taking something like that to a dealer, so some ape can rip it out, scratch everything up, put a piece of tape under it, then nail it back in place with a hammer. Obviously, a bit of an exaggeration there, and hopefully you'll get somebody a bit better than that, but you won't know until you drive away. And it might just rattle and squeak every inch of the way home. It can happen.
I am aware, I already brought it to a dealer to look at it, but they couldn't replicate the issue because the car engine was already warm and it was a warm day, so they did nothing. All I can do is see if the noise goes away as I drive it more, it's currently at 600 miles.
Since it is getting into the warmer months, I won't be able to tell if driving more mileage made it go away, or the weather.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I didn't even bang it hard, I noticed it when my leg tapped it as I entered the car, then I decided to tap it ever so slightly to see if I can replicate the noise.

It also makes that noise occasionally as I go over bump (only when the car engine or the outside temperature is cold)

It used to only make that noise when I go into manual, which didn't bother me, but it bothered me enough to ask when it started making noises when I just tap the side.

Yup...probably same thing then. I haven’t had a reason to run mine in S-mode, so not sure if that makes a difference...seems to be just coldness.

Let’s hope it’s not something significant. Compared to my old 86 gen 1 4Runner, there are a lot less interior noises...and that thing ran like a tank for long time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup...probably same thing then. I haven’t had a reason to run mine in S-mode, so not sure if that makes a difference...seems to be just coldness.

Let’s hope it’s not something significant. Compared to my old 86 gen 1 4Runner, there are a lot less interior noises...and that thing ran like a tank for long time

I still have my first generation 97 rav4 that ran almost 300K miles. A lot less noise compared to it, so I don't mind the issue of wind or engine noise.
I don't drive in manual mode ever, but I only shift it into manual mode when I noticed the first "click" while going over a small bump.
But time will only tell. Mechanically wise, the car drives perfectly fine, just a minor annoyance that I wanted to see if ANYONE else experienced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Drives me nuts on my Adventure that has 1700 miles on it. Guess what? It's NOT due to the cold, y'all, like we first suspected. I'm in Utah. The dealership first couldn't replicate it, OF COURSE. So they asked me to leave overnight to drive it first thing in the morning when it would be exceptionally cold. Still couldn't replicate it. I would tap on the side of it, and you could hear it. But, technician said, "But anything could rattle if you bang on it." Grrrr. But, now I've noted it doesn't always just happen in the cold--even heard it while it being warm and
(though not as much or as loud). Now I am wondering if it happens when there's moisture in the air? It's been raining a lot lately and I notice it on rainy days every time. When it's happening, I haven't thought to switch to Sport to see if it stops.

I'm also a member of a Rav4 Facebook page, and there are members there with the same issue.

Dealership believes me, but just couldn't replicate it. Told me to bring it in WHILE its happening, and have a tech get in and listen. Dealership is only 7 minutes away. However, whenever its happened, I haven't been in a situation when I could drive over there.

So irritating. Thankfully, when it's occurring in mine, it's not a constant rattle; but rather, only when I hit a bump or uneven road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 RAV4 TRAIL (Canadian adventure model) and I am experiencing a similar issue when the vehicle is cold. the center console area near the wireless charger seems to creek and crack when hitting potholes. it does go away when the car warms up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone been able to get this fixed and/or determined the problem? Three times my Adventure has been into the dealership for random things, but they never can "recreate the sound." Ugh. So very frustrating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Evrafter
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing