Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to reduce road noise in my 2016 RAV hybrid but could not find any company so I'm attempting it myself.

Most is self explanatory, I will post some pictures.

Bought alot of dampening material.

Silent Coating Vibro Damping 2mm
Silent Coating Sound Absorber 6mm
Silent Coating Noise Isolator 7mm

Cost about $400 but plenty of it

Starting with doors (close to zero dampening material it appears)

Window down for measuring clearance

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
I look forward to your progress. As some know, I had my entire floor, rear hatch, rear quarters, and all doors sound deadened on my 2016 SE by a local shop. They used the Ballistic sound deadener.
https://www.carid.com/ballistic-sound/sound-suppression-bulk-kit-9-pcs-mpn-ssbk.html

Road noise was only reduced about 2-3 decibels (helped some), but the biggest difference I notice are stereo sounds better and cleaner, doors now sound and close like a Lexus, and tapping on all door panels and quarter panels is a complete change to a quality sounding and feeling built car. Also, this helps with small door ding resistance, and insulates the car better to retain heat / cool air.

You are adding additional material than I had done, so your results may well be even better.

Best of luck....keep us updated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks KJPAT08! I'm gonna add alot. It's quite fun but labor intensive.

Thanks for your previous advice over PM also.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First real test, front doors only. Lost 3-4 db at 55mph. Car is now VASTLY improved in road noise i took it up to 75mph there is just wind noise now.

The road noise left comes from behind now, I think from the trunk area.

Really really happy sofar this was the only problem with this orherwise perfect car!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the interior on my 2016 before and after. There was a fair amount of factory soundproofing as you can see.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great pictures!

Those grey patches that come stock are the same ones I noticed in the trunk. When I added dynamat ½ year ago in the trunk there was almost no gain. I suspect it's better to use a noise absorber mat in those places where Toyota already have put some dampening in from the beginning.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock

Vibro + Isolator everywhere

Stock cover (notice some attempt to deaden noise)

Added 1 sheet of Noise Absorber!

Ran out of time to the other one, car is totally great now. I cannot believe how much improvement I got sofar!

Spent approx 20 hours already.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the other side really labor intensive more irregular shapes.

Added 3 spare isolator sheets above spare just for fun/placebo

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Your RAV will make a Lexus sound like an 18 wheeler now!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found out it is easy to add some extra absorber by sliding it carefully under the "main" carpet.

Let see if it helps otherwise I can undo it, didnt remove the sticky side.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK the fix above is a very big improvement on very bad tarmac. The difficulty is about 1/10 for the floor fix, 6/10 for a door and 8/10 for the trunk wheel wells

·
Registered
246 Posts
How much in your currency, and I will convert to US dollars? Estimated total time? And good job, by the way.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts