Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in Denver, Colorado, and my 2011 V6 Limited RAV4 has some sort of noise coming from the fan underneath the air filter behind that glovebox. I purchased the vehicle used 4 months ago, and the noise has occurred there since then. The A/C, heat, and the power from the fan seems to be fine. Other than the noise, the air system is working well. Here is a video of the noise.

I already replaced the air filter, and that did not help.
Should I take it out and clean it? Do I need to buy a new one?

Thanks for the help.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
There is probably a leaf, pine needle, or some other debris in there rubbing against the blades of the blower like a playing card on bicycle spokes. You might be able to get to it through the slot for the air filter.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
And if JuneBug's suggestion doesn't work you'll need to remove the blower to clean the debris out. I believe it's just a few bolts and a connector and it drops out easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the exact same noise. Took to Toyota dealer and they said it was probably debris but when they removed it, there was nothing inside and the motor was defective.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Rav4 had a blower that was operating intermittently. Went on line and bought a new blower for 39 dollars or so with free shipping and a few days later it showed up. Literally took less than 10 min to replace. Cool now!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

As an update to this thread, the bearings in the blower fan/motor were going bad. It was not debris or anything, but bad bearings. I had a new one installed and it's working well now. Thanks for the help! Hopefully next time it will just be some debris!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts