Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a 2016 RAV4 I noticed that every time I start the car and take off after 5 metres I hear a click noise from the rear end of the car once. It only makes this noise If switch off and start the car again. Is this a problem or its meant to make that noise

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's the ABS test that ALL cars with ABS do at 8 mph (13 km/h). All cars (all brands and models) do it, but in some cars it's more noticeable than in other.

Years ago this was described in owners manuals, but I haven't seen it in newer manuals. I guess because manufacturers just assumed than nobody reads manuals anyway.

BTW, if your RAV is AWD, you could notice another test that occurs around 20 mph (30 km/h) which is the AWD system test. It is a faint "thud" that comes from under the car.

Both tests operate using the same principle. In the first test the ABS system applies the brakes to each individual wheel in short sequence and measures the change in rotational speed. The hole tests last only a fraction of a second, and the brakes are applies for 1/100's of second at a time. The speed difference is totally unnoticeable for a human, but sufficient for the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect. If the change in rotation speed is less than expected from the short application of the brakes, the computer will register a fault and the ABS warning light on the dashboard will illuminate. In the AWD test the ECU momentarily locks the AWD clutch (located in front of the rear differential) and uses ABS wheel speed sensor to check the change in rotation speed between front and rear wheels. In a FWD vehicle (which the AWD RAV essentially is 99% of the time) front wheels always spin a little bit faster than rear wheels when the accelerator is applied. When the AWD clutch is locked the speed difference between front and rear wheel should decrease or disappear completely. If the test fails, the AWD warning light will illuminate. Again, the test only lasts a fraction of a second but is sufficient for the computer to detect any issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car has the same issue. I thought something wrong happened to the break. Thanks fro katekebo's explanation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts