Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title:
How do you feel about the noise level with the Rav4 Prime on fast and constant speed roads?
  • Very well
  • Good
  • neither good nor bad
  • bad
  • I'm going to soundproof the car

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
1,109 Posts
It is all relative to what you are used to driving.

I hear the R4Prime sound improvement relative to our last 4 Toyota Hybrids and Plug-ins is VERY WELL. But only because the earlier Hyrbrid’s and Plug-in’s minimum weight designs let WAY to much road NOISE into the cabin. I’m guessing that the R4Prime is middle of the pack (all US vehicles) for road noise in the cabin, and that is a great improvement for Toyota electrified vehicles.

Someone should experiment with various Toyota vehicles on same road/speed with sound meter and graph noise level by vehicle. (Maybe me).

Reactions: Im2bz2p345

·
Registered
98 Posts
I feel the noise level is pretty good. It's not as quiet as a Lexus or Mercedes Benz but it's a Toyota.
I may do some soundproofing if I have another reason to take the door cards off, but that's only because I have a bunch of dynamat already and I know what I'm doing.

One thing I WILL do is add strips of 4mm closed cell foam liner around the door jams to help the weather stripping out a bit. I feel like the majority of the road noise I hear is actually coming in around the doors rather than through them. This, based on having moved the driver's seat all around, and sitting in various spots in the car. Again, though, this isn't something that actually bothers me a lot, and isn't something I think most people should do, or even need to think about. It's more just that I have materials on hand and know-how, so it is cheap and easy for me.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +JBL audio) Silver Sky Metallic, w/ LP Adventure skid plate
257 Posts
Good.

Far quieter than my 2010 RAV4 (which I had added sound deadening to already), as well as pretty much any rental car I’ve driven. (The new Broncos are LOUD!!)

The battery being located below the floor and the laminated glass in the front windows goes a long way.

Just go test drive one and see for yourself. It’s all going to be anecdotal until you do that.

EDIT: when you’re in EV mode, I would say that the sound level is top tier. It’s a very peaceful driving experience IMO. Maybe not Rolls Royce level, but really nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
“It is all relative to what you are used to driving.”

Audi Q5 !
You're comparing a luxury manufacturer (Audi) to a mass market manufacturer (Toyota). Research how many Q5s get sold versus RAV4s. That's not an apples to apples comparison. A better comparison would be the Audi Q5 to the Lexus NX (the Lexus NX450H+ is the luxury equivalent of the RAV4 Prime).

I don't own a RAV4 Prime (yet), but I can tell you that not just noise will be greater, but the fit/finish will not be what you get with an Audi Q5.

I own a Lexus sedan that is a hybrid and it's very quiet. I've driven the 2022 RAV4 Hybrid and to me, from your options, I would rate it "neither good nor bad" (basically how a typical hybrid vehicle would sound). I'm sure if the engine was off completely (like the Prime in EV mode), the vehicle would be in the Good/Very well category.

Good luck with your decision!

~ im2bz2p345 :)

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime Supersonic Red
354 Posts
Compared to other cars that I've owned, I'd say the RAV4 Prime is above average in sound deadening. I'm not planning on adding any sound deadening material, but when I changed out the stock Dunlop tires for Michelin Cross Climate 2s there was a noticeable reduction in road noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to compare the Audi Q5 with the Toyota Rav4 Prime ... but I was asked what I drive today.
I know the right competitor would be the Lexus NX 450e + but unfortunately you can't have a panoramic roof and a premium HiFi system.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
978 Posts
I don't want to compare the Audi Q5 with the Toyota Rav4 Prime ... but I was asked what I drive today.
That's the thing. The acceptability of cabin noise is relative and subjective, so you do have to compare it. If you're used to a super quiet vehicle, you might find the RAV4 Prime's cabin noise very poor. However, if you are coming from a noisy car (like I did), you'll find that the RAV4 Prime is as quiet as a church mouse.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE with premium audio package
38 Posts
Coming from a 2019 Crosstrek it is significantly quieter, that being said, engine noise when in hybrid is almost more than the crosstrek engine noise, and as mentioned above, most of the noise seems to come from the weather stripping around the doors, and tire noise (though it may not be as bad since mine have uneven cupping wear on them and still wearing back through that)

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
303 Posts
A comment on noise, the factory roof rocks add a noticeable amount of noise to the vehicle at highway speeds. I install mine when I need them. I also think the emptyspace behind the rear wheels hidden by plastic panel are big source of noise.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
113 Posts
I've only had my RAV4 Prime a week but so far the road noise level is OK. It has a lot of wind noise though but so did my Mustang Mach E. It is not nearly as quiet as my 2015 Acura MDX but Acura is a luxury brand of Honda so you would expect that. If I drove the Lexus corporate twin, I'm sure that would be quieter also. All-in-all I'm happy with the amount of road and wind noise. Oh, and I checked the tire pressure and has been reported on this board, they were overinflated at 40 psi and I set them all to 33 psi so that may make a difference in the ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts