Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My petrol Rav4 gx brand new produces some sort of noise when on drive and reverse mode. This happens on 2 occassions. When brakes are slightly released not completely on D or R mode. Also happens when steering to extreme right or left and brakes are applied i.e the car is stationary during parking.

I have took the car to dealer but was told the sound is normal and nothing to worry about.

Its a brand new car purchased in July.

I have recorded the sound.
My petrol Rav4 gx brand new produces some sort of noise when on drive and reverse mode. This happens on 2 occassions. When brakes are slightly released not completely on D or R mode. Also happens when steering to extreme right or left and brakes are applied i.e the car is stationary during parking.

I have took the car to dealer but was told the sound is normal and nothing to worry about.

Its a brand new car purchased in July.

I have recorded the sound https://sndup.net/4tvb

Is this normal?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm assuming that you're referring to the "creaking" noise. I'm not 100%, but this sounds normal to me. I remember hearing this type of sound on occasion w/ different vehicles under these situations where there is very little/slow wheel rotation and brake pressure applied. It's just the sound of the pads slipping and gripping (essentially rubbing) the rotors and will likely go away as the pads and rotors break-in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will likely go away as the pads and rotors break-in.
I'm assuming that you're referring to the "creaking" noise. I'm not 100%, but this sounds normal to me. I remember hearing this type of sound on occasion w/ different vehicles under these situations where there is very little/slow wheel rotation and brake pressure applied. It's just the sound of the pads slipping and gripping (essentially rubbing) the rotors and will likely go away as the pads and rotors break-in.
Is there anything i could do to avoid it. Because it's already done 2000 kms now and still the noise is there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
will likely go away as the pads and rotors break-in.

Is there anything i could do to avoid it. Because it's already done 2000 kms now and still the noise is there.
Just take the rav4 back to the dealer and complain. My brakes were squeaking when cold at 4K. The dealer re-cut (rust rings off) the rotors.

I am at 8.5K and they are still quiet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You could go back and complain as jfcatari suggested. If they're like my dealer, they'll want to compare yours to a vehicle or two on the lot. If dealer cars do it, they're gonna tell you there's nothing that they can do as it's "normal". If so, you could try another dealer.
As far as it happening on yours, I should say that it isn't unheard of to experience it. Having said that, I'm pretty sure mine does not do that, but I will pay attention over the next few days. If it's happening every time you come to a stop, yeah, that would be annoying, but if it's just when you're allowing the vehicle to "creep along" by releasing pressure on the brake enough to let it move a little, I'm not sure I would worry about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's just when you're allowing the vehicle to "creep along" by releasing pressure on the brake enough to let it move a little, I'm not sure I would worry about it.
Yeah that's when its sounds.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah that's when its sounds.
My brakes do not exhibit this noise, but like I stated earlier, I've had vehicles that did. Never really bothered me. My '19 Rav may (I don't remember for sure) make this noise if the rotors are cold and wet right before I get in to drive, but that would only be for a few seconds until the moisture is "burnt off". The only noise my brakes do make, for sure, is kind of a rough scratchy sound when light surface rust forms on the rotor surfaces when they sat exposed to moisture for several hours or days. This goes away when the rust is rubbed off within a few braking cycles.

If this really bugs you and the dealers won't help you out, you could have a reputable shop that turns (machines) rotors check it out. They could take off the smallest amount of surface material to expose fresh metal and remove possible contaminants on the rotor surface. You may end up with the same noise unless you also replace the pads since they would presumably have some contaminant embedded in their surface as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
VW Golf GTI and Golf R have “performance brakes”. They easily develop a light surface rust. Park the car when the brakes are wet, then come back in 12 hours. The pads are likely to be sticking to the rotors enough that you’ll hear a “clunk” when you start moving. There may be some noise when the brakes are first applied too. It goes away quickly though as soon as the pads and rotors return to normal. I’ve owned multiple GTIs and Rs and every one of them did this. It’s normal for some brake materials.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I will live with it. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
No problem. I did notice today, that in very limited situations when my vehicle is moving maybe .5 mph or under, the brakes (just the front I think) creak. But it's typically so brief and doesn't happen enough for me to pay any attention to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts