Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RAV4 2010, V6
Hi, recently i noticed that there is noise when i apply brake. i can hear it repeatedly i repeatedly release the brake a little bit and press harder. it only happens when driving forward.
what could be the source? the noise sounds like grounding, or playing the spring can make that noise. can it be suspension? only happens when applying brake.
I thought it is from the front, but not 100% sure.
thank you

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
As vanib suggests, you should check your brake pads. When they wear down to the point where they need to be replaced there is a warning noise built into the pads which takes place when the brakes are applied.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Miles on the pads?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks all of you.
my bad i didn't make it clear.
the noise is same as that in the video in this post: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/89694-08-rav4-v6-brake-noises.html#post1898105

the pads are new and the rotor was re-surfaced by the dealer.
immediately after the dealer changed the pads, there was no noise. two months later noticed the noise. it didn't last long, only one or two clunks before the car stopped.
recently, i applied parking brake every time when i park the car and seemed better, but occasionally i can still hear it, especially when i apply brakes when the car going down a slope.

thank you,
really appreciate your inputs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a brand new 2018 with only 1133 miles. Car was wrecked and was a new car replacement policy. I paid a pretty penny for it.

Here’s the problem. When I apply the brakes there is a noise that sounds like if a car sits on the lot it kinda makes a sound of rusty brakes.

They say it usually goes away.

And it is better than it was the first day.

It sounds like a warped rotor because of the crash

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I bought a brand new 2018 with only 1133 miles. Car was wrecked and was a new car replacement policy. I paid a pretty penny for it.

Here’s the problem. When I apply the brakes there is a noise that sounds like if a car sits on the lot it kinda makes a sound of rusty brakes.

They say it usually goes away.

And it is better than it was the first day.

It sounds like a warped rotor because of the crash
The car is brand new with hardly any miles. I would drive around to wear down any rust on the rotor by doing more braking then normal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's a cracked/broken rotor and it is most definitely NOT normal nor will it go away on it's own.

Take it back and demand new rotors and pads. Have the tie rods/ball joints/wheel bearings checked as well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
That's a cracked/broken rotor and it is most definitely NOT normal nor will it go away on it's own.

Take it back and demand new rotors and pads. Have the tie rods/ball joints/wheel bearings checked as well.
He said the car was wrecked. I highly doubt he has any kind of a warranty on it.
I agree with DL175 and just drive it for a while and see what happens. Worst thing would be he'll need new brakes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't drive it. If that rotor splits open it can lock the wheel and you will lose control and not be able to move the car. Best to fix it now before it destroys something else.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
The OP said the car was wrecked not the brakes. It sounds like this car has been sitting around most of the time in the last 2 years. Brake rotors do rust if you not drive it every day and have you seen some used cars in car lot that have not been driven for a long time?

·
Registered
507 Posts
The OP said the car was wrecked not the brakes. It sounds like this car has been sitting around most of the time in the last 2 years. Brake rotors do rust if you not drive it every day and have you seen some used cars in car lot that have not been driven for a long time?

I am familiar with rust on brakes. This is not rust if it sounds like the video that was linked. That sounds exactly like a cracked rotor. The knocking sound is the crack hitting the pads and shearing off friction material. The pads will eventually tear the rotor in half when the crack gets back enough and the wheel will either lock or parts of the rotor, caliper/bracket assembly, or knuckle will be torn loose. I don't have to know the history of the car to tell you what that sound is. I drive through a couple of nearby cities and I hear so many vehicles with really bad brakes that you wouldn't believe it. Bad brakes are everywhere because "the car still stops" so the brakes can't be bad, right? rolls eyes no joke.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I am familiar with rust on brakes. This is not rust if it sounds like the video that was linked. That sounds exactly like a cracked rotor. The knocking sound is the crack hitting the pads and shearing off friction material. The pads will eventually tear the rotor in half when the crack gets back enough and the wheel will either lock or parts of the rotor, caliper/bracket assembly, or knuckle will be torn loose. I don't have to know the history of the car to tell you what that sound is. I drive through a couple of nearby cities and I hear so many vehicles with really bad brakes that you wouldn't believe it. Bad brakes are everywhere because "the car still stops" so the brakes can't be bad, right? rolls eyes no joke.
I am talking about 240sx and his brakes. He does not have a video unless you are referring to Jayden brakes which he posted 4 years ago?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts