Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time post. I have a 2017 XLE and I noticed when I am in EV mode there is a noise coming from the front of the car. It sounds like a muted whine. It only happens when the car is moving. It goes away when the car stops moving. When I say EV mode, I mean when the gas engine is not running, whether evo or ev mode. As soon as the gas motor starts up it goes away, or I just can't hear it. It is not tire noise or brakes. It goes in for its 5k checkup but my wife is taking it in and I am afraid that they will say it is normal operation. I know it was not like this when I bought it. Has anyone else have this noise?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Read your manual, it's a pedestrian alert when in EV.

The driver should pay extra attention to pedestrians when the vehicle is
powered only by the electric motor (traction motor). As there is no engine
noise, the pedestrians may misjudge the vehicle’s movement. Even
though the vehicle is equipped with the vehicle proximity notification system,
drive with care as pedestrians in the vicinity may still not notice the
vehicle if the surrounding area is noisy.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Lol. Most of us posted something similar, when we first got ours.:wink Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to disconnect the little speaker. Good luck finding it. FWIW its a legal requirement to have it functioning.
In certain territories....

We don't have that nonsense in the UK (and possibly the wider EU).

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
I just checked with my friend at work (he's the EV expert), and he said his Chevy Volt has no such noisemaker for warning passengers. He also said that as far as he knows, there is no federal law requiring it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I seem to remember seeing where you can turn it off in Techstream..At least I thought I remembered seeing a place to do it. I know you can test it as I wanted to see what it sounded like, you can test it at the 0MPH sound (low drone) and the 6MPH+ sound (higher pitched).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just checked with my friend at work (he's the EV expert), and he said his Chevy Volt has no such noisemaker for warning passengers. He also said that as far as he knows, there is no federal law requiring it.
Probably the Chevy makes so much noise its not needed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In certain territories....

We don't have that nonsense in the UK (and possibly the wider EU).
Nor in Sweden (so far).
Off topic; good luck with the "brexit" all alone on a little island in a big ocean...

·
Registered
54 Posts
He's kind of right. Congress makes laws and they have passed no such law.

However, NHTSA created a federal safety standard in 2016 that will affect hybrid and EV's release after September 2019 requiring such devices. It's likely that Toyota and other manufacturers are just getting a jump on it (or likely were prodded in that direction by their attorneys).

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/11/17/nhtsa-decides-evs-shouldnt-quiet-include-fake-sounds/

·
Registered
342 Posts
It sounds like electronic switching noise, and that's what I thought it was. We are talking about converting hundreds of volts DC into AC at many kilowatts of power. Electricity is not always silent.

And all hybrids make a similar quiet whirring noise when I'm a pedestrian next to them. Even hybrids made much much earlier than this regulation about EV vehicles making noise. So I'm not sure that it's a speaker. If it is, it's a very bad implementation, as it is not loud enough to be heard over the noises of a typical city.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It sounds like electronic switching noise, and that's what I thought it was. We are talking about converting hundreds of volts DC into AC at many kilowatts of power. Electricity is not always silent.

And all hybrids make a similar quiet whirring noise when I'm a pedestrian next to them. Even hybrids made much much earlier than this regulation about EV vehicles making noise. So I'm not sure that it's a speaker. If it is, it's a very bad implementation, as it is not loud enough to be heard over the noises of a typical city.
You're correct in that it makes electrical noise as well but the pedestrian alert comes from a speaker. I'll record the test patterns tonight to see if that's what OP is referring to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
This has been discussed ad nauseum in the Prius forums. In the Prius the little speaker is in the driver's wheel well up under the plastic liner. Its been in existence since 2012.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

What in the rav4 hybrid uses AC?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Holy crap, I didn't even know the motors were AC! Some electronic technician I am. lol

Why not just use an AC battery?

J/K.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Holy crap, I didn't even know the motors were AC! Some electronic technician I am. lol
Diesel locomotives use big AC motors for propulsion too. The diesel engine is only there to power the generator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts