Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RAV4 Sport !-4. Sometimes when I do some hard or somewhat hard accelerating, I get a rattling sound along with the engine drone. Has anyone else experienced this? It sounds like a metallic rattling. I wonder if it has something to do with the exhaust system, or if it's something else. I haven't taken it into Toyota, but I figure I'll ask here.

U

·
0 Posts
I have the same exact thing in my Rav as well. I too was going to ask the group but I think it's a normal sound. I've heard this in other cars. I don't consider it a rattle (but I can see why one would say that) but it does have a sort of metallic ring & hiss sound to it during acceleration.

If it's a concern for you I'd suggest asking your dealer or Toyota and then report back here.

J.

B

·
0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...Using a high octane 90+ in a car that does not require it is actullay bad. Do to the fact that a high octance fuel in a low compression engine does not burn efficiently.

The higher the octane the more refined the fuel..hence more addatives in it. If your engine is not capable of burning off those addatives in the high octanes it is causing some build-up.

U

·
0 Posts
The dealer actually told me that anything above 85 octane is "not good" for the car. IIRC, the manual states anything above 97 isn't necessary (but I could be wrong, that's what I thought I read though). - J.

B

·
0 Posts
Its difficult to say because you don't say where the sound is coming from. If its from the engine bay it could be any number of things. My first guess would be a heat shield also, or possably the plastic shield covering the top of the engine itself.

U

·
0 Posts
As mentioned, for me it's only when I do a hard acceleration, like depressing the gass pedal a lot to speed up to pass or merge or something. I hear a sort of metallic hissy & ringing noise coming from somewhere in engine. Not being mechanically inclined, I can't even begin to guess what this is. It's not loud and some people may not even notice it.

J.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, for me it's kinda like a metallic rattle/ringing type sound. I'm not sure if it's coming from the engine compartment or from under the car. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything performance-wise. It just doesn't sound right. It could be a heat shield, or perhaps something exhaust-related, since it's under harder acceleration, and that induces more exhaust flow. I wonder if there are any more people experiencing this other than just the 2 of us.

R

·
0 Posts
Our 4.2 gas the same I4 engine and the same noise. Ours sounds exactly like a heat shield / exhaust vibration and it is usually under acceleration. The I4 is at it's limit so it has to grunt a little harder than most economy engines. We have 6,000 miles so far with no apparent problem. It's a fairly tame noise so I'm not worried...unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
completley untrue. My GN is 8.5 to one compression and I use Sunoco 94 and when I race 117 octane. It runs just fine in both cases when Im off the boost. The only thing you are doing running a higher octane fuel when you do not need is to make your wallet thinner. It will not harm anything

becks said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...Using a high octane 90+ in a car that does not require it is actullay bad. Do to the fact that a high octance fuel in a low compression engine does not burn efficiently.

The higher the octane the more refined the fuel..hence more addatives in it. If your engine is not capable of burning off those addatives in the high octanes it is causing some build-up.

B

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
completley untrue. My GN is 8.5 to one compression and I use Sunoco 94 and when I race 117 octane. It runs just fine in both cases when Im off the boost. The only thing you are doing running a higher octane fuel when you do not need is to make your wallet thinner. It will not harm anything

becks said:

Well....Then to say the least or most in this case...then why bother dumping a higher octane fuel in a modern engine that does not require it ?

S

·
0 Posts
unRAVelled said:
The dealer actually told me that anything above 85 octane is "not good" for the car. IIRC, the manual states anything above 97 isn't necessary (but I could be wrong, that's what I thought I read though). - J.
The lowest Octane fuel you can buy in Oregon is 87, so if that is the case all the RAV4 owners in Oregon are mucking up their ride :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me after reading the posts on this subject that using an Ocatane rating of 87 would be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the problem too, but it is during soft acceleration. It is like a metallic, grinding, clinking sound. The first time I took it in, the service dept said it was the encasement of the pulleys. The second time I took it in they said it was the ethanol. Either way, the sound is really pissing me off. I don't hear any other cars doing it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too have a noise while accelerating and it is more of a chatter....I have tried high octane gas but has not helped.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My '07 likeways has the noise & i'm sure it's pinging. My '02 Camry with the same eng/trans does it, too. The mid-grade gas seems to help the Camry a bunch but the RAV not quite as much.

Seems to be at it's worst in top gear with really light throttle & slight upgrade (like going into my 'hood!!!). It's like it (or you) needs to force a downshift. Normally I love this trans, but it seems to fail during this exercise. Roll the window down & it's even more apparent.

And, by the way...whoever mentioned the timing chain as a noise source...it's a belt. And the 4.2 didn't have the same engine....did it? Easy enough to look up, I guess. Somebody will correct me, right!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts