Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a Limited I4 for a spin on friday. One thing that bothered me was that the back seat was noticeably louder than the fronts seats. The fiance was driving at first, and I thought it was slightly noisy, once I was in the front seat driving it was much quieter. Do you RAV4 owners notice this? Wondering if it's noise from the differential or motor. I'd imagine if it was engine noise it'd be reverse.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The backseat is a bit closer to the exhaust underneath. That might
possibly be the reason. Is it more noticeable at highter RPM's?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only drove one car, so no comparison to others. It's good to hear that you guys don't have this though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not much sound deadening back there, I noticed it, and I was driving. You can hear the water and pebbles kicking up alot. More than you should. Wouldn't have expected that, disapointed me.

Later. M.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because the wheel wells are poorly isolated and insulated from the cargo area, there will be more noise. In a car the rear wheel area is near the trunk and isolated by the rear seat and glass.

That was another complaint on prior models was road noise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I've noticed the road noise seems to all come from the back of the vehicle. Mine is very quite at times and very noisy at others depending on the quality of the road I'm driving on. Tires could make a big difference in the level of road noise too. Mine has the Yokohoma Geolandar tires.

MikeyJo

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'll be test driving a V6 when they come in here in Vancouver. I won't be sitting in the backseat much if ever but it's still a disappointment. For a brand new car I'd expect better sound deadening.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, there are those compartments that open on either side of
the rear cargo area. Extra insulation could conceivable shoved in
around the wheel wells through those openings.
Not easy but possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the road noise is really bothersome, go to a reputable car stereo shop and ask about have the the cargo area fitted with Dynamat...or for that matter you could have the whole car done if you really want to hear a pin drop. This is pretty a pretty common thing with high end car stereo installations. It's not too pricey either.

Troy

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The backseat of my Camry is VERY loud. Unfortunately, I do not expect either the RAV4.3 or Sienna (the two vehicles we're considering) to be any better. Of course, the two kids in the back seat may have something to do with it. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quite surprised that there's a lot of wind noise coming from the back of the car...i'm not expecting the car to be dead quiet i mean it's not like a benz or anything but it did surprise me that much noise would be coming into the car when the front is relatively quiet

·
Registered
271 Posts
TroyRD said:
If the road noise is really bothersome, go to a reputable car stereo shop and ask about have the the cargo area fitted with Dynamat...or for that matter you could have the whole car done if you really want to hear a pin drop. This is pretty a pretty common thing with high end car stereo installations. It's not too pricey either.

Troy
How much are we taking about over here? I'm thinking to purchase a mat for the cargo area.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Most SUVs are noisier in the back seat than a saden. It is actually more road noise than wind noise. If you think about it, the front wheels are under the engine bay, so the noise from the front wheels are isolated by the firewall. In a saden, the noise from the back wheels are isolated by the trunk.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RAV4 is as noisy as CR-V at back

I test drove RAV4 CR-V and Pilot last weekend back to back.

Sitting at back seat, I felt that Rav4 and CR-V got the same level of noise. Compare to Pilot, it is very clear that RAV4 and CR-V got more road noise passed in and echo around.

The Pilot, my wife and I both test drove it on a road that was voted by drivers as having the no.1 worst surface, and my teen child seating at back fell into sleep on each run.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll bring my db meter when I go test drive the V6.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Going to put a layer of vinyl sound deadening mat at the cargo area soon. Hopefully, this will help lighten the road noise.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally test drove the V6 Sport today. The back seats definitely didn't seem to be as noisy as the inline four. I had my db meter with me but I didn't bother to take objective measurements. Anyhow the V6 had pretty good power, I was expecting a little more grunt but the torque-steer was slightly annoying. 270hp to the front wheels and soft suspension, the truck likes to wander when you floor it. It's not a huge deal since I probably won't be flooring it a whole lot anyhow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts