Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ah, I see. You don't have to worry about that Miriam. Rally crossing, like auto crossing, are solo timed races. That means that you're pretty much by yourself on the course for your run. Your place is determined by adding up all of your timed runs. No other cars will be side by side with you. Rally cross is done on a unpaved surface while auto cross is the paved version. Course is set up on a pretty much level dirt surface with cones marking the course is layout. Both types of races are meant for drivers to find their driving capabilities and the capabilities of their vehicles. You don't really have to be competitive but just have fun as alot of people will be beginners as well. Some of them are also in it just for fun while others are using it as a learning experience for the more advanced races. Plus, you don't just stand around waiting to race as well. To keep costs down, racers are supposed to work the races. That means you could be doing the timing, helping set up the cones that may have been knocked down on the course, etc. I think it'd be a fun learning experience for us Ravers so hopefully more will join up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, it's official..I'm in April's Thunderhill Rally I.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RallyX/?entries

Any other bay area Raver wanna join up? I'd hate to be the only Rav4 there. Heck, I'd settle for seeing a CRV even. If anyone's got even the slightest of interest and fear's the only thing stopping you, you're not alone. I'm in the same boat. I wanted to go last year, but chickened out as well. Kinda regretted not starting earlier so now I'm biting the bullet and just going for it. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, looks like my first rally cross event got cancelled due to there being a huge lake where it's supposed to be dirt. Darn Ca rain. :x :x
Anyways, the next event takes place the month after on May 14 at the same place, Thunderhill. So, if anyone's still interested in going for a bit of rally crossing, there's another month for you to decide.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Woah, this section is dead as a doornail. :shock: :shock: Anyways, just to remind you guys, the Thunderhill Rally 2 is happening this Saturday at Thunderhill Park so if anyone's interested in trying their Rav in a little rally x, come on down. Heck, if it keeps raining, we'll probably be running in mud. :lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, no prob. I'll make sure to take alot of pics and maybe video the thing. The guys from the sf region scca tell me that the course is gonna be ready for Saturday cause it was dry before the rains started and we look clear from tom till the weekend. However, the course is gonna be on grass cause all that rain we had last month made all the grass pop up. Should be fun. :D :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
i'd be interested

I'm on the peninsula just south of SF.

Also, looking for some stock alloy wheels that will fit on my 1996 automatic 4WD, 4 door RAV4. I have stock steel wheels now. Thanks!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey, guys. There's another Rallycross coming up on June 25th. That's a Saturday. It's at Thunderhill as well. Anyone up for a little Rav4 meetup and a bit of rallycrossing? Cost is $40. Yeah, they went up $5 this month to cover their expenses. You should get 4 runs though like I did last time. Plus, if there's time, $1 fun runs. It's about 2 1/2 hours north fom San Jose so you can judge your own time and distance if that's going to be a factor for you. I'd like to see if at least 5 Ravers would be interested in going so it'd be more fun. Then we could compare our times instead of against STI's. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That'd be kinda fun. I think i can make it this time. Those pics were good, and it seemed that you had a lot of fun. I might not chicken out this time, but can't make any promises, hehe :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, I chickened out last year and almost chickened out again as I was doing my check in. But the guys there were really cool and kept telling me just to have fun. And there were quite a different group of people there..not just young guys. Couple of older guys around 50 or so. There was even an older couple in their 40s or so who just bought a brand new sti with plans to make it a fully built rally car. There were some 20's something women also who looked like they came in their own cars with their boyfriends and husbands to race. Definitely a crowd that you shouldn't feel intimidated to. And it's summer right? So no more excuses? :wink: :wink: Let's see some more Ravers out there. Ron818? Zoomie? I know you guys are lurking around here. Let's see some more hands and take the Rav out in the dirt.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey Slayer, are you still going to the rally? I came back from Panama for a 3 week vacation, and that's why i haven't been here. I thought that the rally was next week, not this week, and i already made plans for that saturday. But just curious, what time does the rally start?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can't go to this Saturday's rally cause of the extreme amount of overtime they have us doing at my job. I'm planning on going to the October one though which is a two day rallycross event on both Saturday and Sunday. Typically, check in is at 8 AM. That's when you register, do a checklist on your vehicle, paint on your number on your window, and then walk the course to get yourself familiar with it. After that, there's a 8:45 Am driver's meeting to discuss safety, groupings and work stations for every driver. Then at 9 am, if all goes well, you start racing. Intimidating at first, but still hella fun once you get going. If it wasn't for my upcoming closing of escrow in two months, I wouldn't be working so much overtime to cover the closing costs. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I heard there is a REALLY REALLY big TOYOTA meet at a San Jose dealership. I think it was Capital Toyota, if I remember correctly. Got all this info from my friend that owns a Matrix, they expect a good 50 Toyota Matrix's and some others.....

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
NOTE: I've split this thread off into a NEW TOPIC... as it has progressed quite a bit from the original discussion.

CLICK HERE to read about the upcoming planned RallyCross @ Altamont (California) - Nov. 6, 2005 8)

I've also added links to this planned RallyCross event on the front page of our site 8) HERE!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.