Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here in the forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Rav4 V6 limited from our local Toyota dealer, so far we love it! I had to get a few kinks worked out that apparently the dealer didn't notice in their certified checkup, being the steering intermediary shaft AND the ECM TSB which they hadn't replaced either. I actually had to give them the notice to show them that we weren't crazy and that it did exist!

Anyways on to my question. I did a hard brake test the other day and have noticed that it really didn't stop as quickly as I thought it would, the brakes feel very mushy. The dealer told us they replaced the rear pads and rotors (it has 110,000 km's) and that the front pads have 90% left. I have noticed that the front rotors have a slight vibration under braking, will probably have them dressed soon or replaced when we have the funds. But under a full brake to the floor test on dry pavement, there wasn't a hint of a skid or ABS coming on, and it stopped VERY slowly.

Is this normal for a Rav of this year? Is there anything that I could check or have them check that might account for how poorly the brakes perform? They are very noisy when you first start using them the first couple times, which would be normal except it happens every day. I did test the brakes on ice and the ABS system came on just fine, but it was the dry pavement performance that was extremely puzzling! Any help would be great! So far this forum has helped me find all the issues with the car that needed fixing!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The brakes on the Rav4 are on the soft side, so when the brake oil is old you will really get that mushy feeling. Usually bleeding the brakes line and putting new fluid helps getting a better brake feel.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The tires, temperature and suspension has an affect on the stopping distance. What kind of tires and how much tread life?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post here in the forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Rav4 V6 limited from our local Toyota dealer, so far we love it! I had to get a few kinks worked out that apparently the dealer didn't notice in their certified checkup, being the steering intermediary shaft AND the ECM TSB which they hadn't replaced either. I actually had to give them the notice to show them that we weren't crazy and that it did exist!

Anyways on to my question. I did a hard brake test the other day and have noticed that it really didn't stop as quickly as I thought it would, the brakes feel very mushy. The dealer told us they replaced the rear pads and rotors (it has 110,000 km's) and that the front pads have 90% left. I have noticed that the front rotors have a slight vibration under braking, will probably have them dressed soon or replaced when we have the funds. But under a full brake to the floor test on dry pavement, there wasn't a hint of a skid or ABS coming on, and it stopped VERY slowly.

Is this normal for a Rav of this year? Is there anything that I could check or have them check that might account for how poorly the brakes perform? They are very noisy when you first start using them the first couple times, which would be normal except it happens every day. I did test the brakes on ice and the ABS system came on just fine, but it was the dry pavement performance that was extremely puzzling! Any help would be great! So far this forum has helped me find all the issues with the car that needed fixing!
Welcome, great to have you!
I would agree with Octane.....a complete brake fluid change would probably do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely look into getting the brake fluid changed. Any rough estimates on how much that might cost for a dealer or other shop to do? I might consider doing it myself if it's not too difficult and I can find the time, depends on how much I will save. They are michelin winter tires (don't know the exact model), probably about 60-70% tread life so I don't think they would be too much of a factor. Being that this is a 10 year old car and I don't think the previous owner was too attentive to little things like droning noises and knocking steering, I wouldn't put it past them to not worry about mushy brakes.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A shop will charge about 100 or so to flush the brakes...cost me about 5-10 bucks in fluid, but I also know what I'm doing...nothing wrong with paying to have it done right...

·
Registered
263 Posts
bumping this - I'd also say the brakes feel on the soft side. I'm not sure if they've ever been bled on this car, and I've got some fluid leftover so i'll give it a shot. any concern mixing braking fluid? got some amsoil dot3 and dot4

·
Registered
115 Posts
1. The Rav is known for having soft braking

2. If the brake fluid has never been flushed then it may be a little softer than normal. I would personally change the fluid any way. I am doing it on my 07 194k for the second time this spring.

3. I found my brakes are always softer until I have stopped a few times. Once the rotors and brakes start to heat up the braking is a lot better (was actually just showing this to my 16 year old son this morning).

4. Depending on where you live, what the weather is like and what metal is used in the rotors (after market rotors usually use a less expensive metal causing more noise than original), it is not uncommon to hear the noisy brakes for the first couple of stops in the morning. The noise you are hearing is a very slight amount of surface rust from overnight (sometimes not even enough to actually see).

·
Registered
13 Posts
jesus. sounds like all of you have a leaking master cylinder. Does the pedal sink to the floor when youre at a stop? if it does then you have a leaking master cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
11,226 Posts
jesus. sounds like all of you have a leaking master cylinder. Does the pedal sink to the floor when youre at a stop? if it does then you have a leaking master cylinder.
Not one person spoke about a pedal to the floor. All folks only gave facts as to the soft pedal which is common on this car. Where are you coming from with this? What you are saying is totally obvious but no one spoke of it, so why are you? Brake fluid older than three years can cause all kinds of issues and needs to be replaced even though Toyota says nothing about it. It's standard maintenance for those in the know.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
bumping this - I'd also say the brakes feel on the soft side. I'm not sure if they've ever been bled on this car, and I've got some fluid leftover so i'll give it a shot. any concern mixing braking fluid? got some amsoil dot3 and dot4
brake fluid is hydroscopic, so once you open the bottle it will start to absorb water and degrade. I would go and buy a new bottle if I were you and only use the type required, some brake fluids types are not compatible!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts