Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another RAV4 owner here in the Northeast, we just got 18" of snow and the RAV4 drove thru it with no problem. Had to use the 4WD lock button a few time but it perform every bit as well as my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Toyota stability control is amazing, one of the best sytem on the market.

N

·
0 Posts
Yea, from MA here. Got about 2 feet and the RAV4 drove great. Used 4wheel lock a couple times, mostly to play around with it....had an awesome commute today also.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ditto here. Live in Cambridge, spend lots of time in the Charlton/Sturbridge area w/ the girlfriend where she lives.

This is my first 4x4 and it was terrific. Especially pulling into work this morning (in Marlboro) where they are notoriously bad at plowing and it was great to have traction that works.

N

·
0 Posts
Nice, I work In Lexington and commute out to Gardner daily (I actually live in a town next to Gardner called Ashburnham). The commute was sweet this morning. Everyone else coming into work was complaining....not me :)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newton, MA here. I guess it is safe to say that this version of Toyota's electronic 4WD works as good in the snow as the older model with the mechanical system. I took the RAV4 to an empty parking lot and try to spin it out, the stability system would not let me. It corrected itself everytime and cut power and apply brakes to different wheels.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the 4WD lock button as insurance. The electronic 4WD is always on, it distribute torque to each wheel thru sensors. Normally the RAV4 is in front wheel drive and delivers torque to the back wheels when you are accelarating or when sensors detects slip. If you manually lock the 4WD system, it will bypass the sensors and lock in the wheels at 60% front and %40 back if I remember right.
I use to have a MDX with the same system, the one on the new RAV seems to work better. I went thru a few unplow street with snow drifts up to 2 feet. I didnt want to get stuck since I didnt know the RAV4 ability yet. From what I understand, the 4WD lock button can get you out of trouble even after you get stuck, but I didnt want to chance it and I wanted to get familar with the 4WD lock function as well.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all those with the older RAV4 who thought that the new electronic 4WD will not measure up. The recent strom in the Northeast prove them wrong. Toyota have done it again, well done Toyota.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RAV4 in NYC Rocks!!!

We got socked pretty well here in NYC-Queens. I took the 8 day old RAV4 and this small monster rocked. Passed all these cars that could not make it in the 20" plus snow and work perfectly on a hill with no problems.

Could not have purchased it at a better time.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
thank goodness YOU said that..

:p
The G Man said:
To all those with the older RAV4 who thought that the new electronic 4WD will not measure up. The recent strom in the Northeast prove them wrong. Toyota have done it again, well done Toyota.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The G Man said:
Another RAV4 owner here in the Northeast, we just got 18" of snow and the RAV4 drove thru it with no problem. Had to use the 4WD lock button a few time but it perform every bit as well as my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Toyota stability control is amazing, one of the best sytem on the market.
Funny you should mention the Jeep Gr. Cherokee. Used to have one too... We got about a foot of snow here over the last couple of days, and my 4.2 drives great in the snow. One thing I like about the RAV is that it has a default or "priority", front-wheel drive. I had a bad spin-out accident with my Jeep (in rear-wheel drive), so the fwd default was a major factor for me getting a RAV. It's nice to know that the 4.3 "part-time" 4WD works just as good the 4.2 "full-time" 4WD.

Cheers!

Anyway, I enjoy reading the 4.3 experiences because I also have plans to upgrade, but probably next year or even 2008. I'm in no rush since I am pretty much satisfied with my current 4.2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts