Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good even gentlemen.

I had the pleasure of installing the kit today with another hobbyist mechanic.

First off, props to Nathan at Northwoods. He took great care of me throughout the buying process. I was a pain in the ass when purchasing due to a split payment.
He answered all my stupid questions personally.

The install went great at first using a compressor and air tools.
We swapped the front struts/springs with no issues. It took us 2 hours for both sides with a rain/thunderstorm delay.

The hassle came when removing the lower A arm bolt on the rear passenger side to do the spring.
We had a hell of a time getting that last bolt out.
She was seized up pretty bad. No amount of penetrating oil helped. We ended up using a riveter to hammer it out after all attempts failed.
The bolt was still in great shape after that, so we reused it.

The top shock mount that gives people nightmares went super smooth for us. Using a box end 17mm and ratcheting 17mm box end, it broke free quickly.

The rear driver's side went smooth once we knew what we needed to do.

The lift looks great and the Rav4 handles better on road with the Bilsteins.
I'll report back once my new tires are fitted and an alignment is completed.

Don't hesitate to buy this if you're looking for a reasonable lift.

If you guys have any questions, please respond here. I'll help you out if I can.

Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the process of installing the Northwoods lift. Started out doing the rear first. None of the nuts had rust on them so the install went fairly smooth with just hand tools. Both of the rear springs' lower insulator were in really bad shape so it's going to be another week before the replacement insulators come and bolt up the rear. I don't the think the front will be any harder to replace.

There was no room for me to put a box end wrench over the rear top shock's nut to loosen it. Had to use the open ended side. I tried the Craftsman and Tekton box ended side but couldn't slip over the nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks about having to wait.
Surprisingly my insulators were in beautiful shape.
I'm blaming the corrosion on the liberal use of salt during winter in my area, though this Rav was certainly garage kept by the previous owner.

I was able to fit a ratchet end on the bolt nearest the rear of the car. It made my life so so so much easier.

The fronts are super easy to do.
It's a quick job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AACE20AB-4CD2-478C-9739-8273B083C1BC.jpeg

Nice! I have the Northwoods with V6 spring option and Bilstein B6. It’s been pretty awesome. I agree, also that Nathan at Northwoods was great to do business with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts