Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some nose protection. I've already got 5000 miles on my 2015 Rav4 XLE and my heart sunk when I heard a rock hit my hood the other day. Little small chip in the paint, but painful nonetheless. Now I noticed a small grazing on the side of the bumper.

I'm looking at this Colgan Custom Original Car Bra - FREE SHIPPING in the T-cover design and carbon fibre color. My Rav is Pyrite Mica.

Has anyone had experience with this company and the noseguard itself? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Peace

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Noooooo......

The bra will keep the front end looking good only as long as the bra looks good.
When it gets looking ratty, or when you remove it, the paint is going to be a dull mess.

Dust will get trapped under the bra, and the vibration driving it will be like sandpaper constantly wearing on your paint.
The problem is compounded if the bra is not removed (and the paint and bra cleaned) any time the car is washed, OR when it rains.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The 3M Hood Protector Film is by far the best protection you can get, but it is also the most costly.

I have been experimenting with another 3M product called Paint Defender. Due to the cold weather here in Canada I have not yet applied it to my car, but I have treated a couple of painted metal boxes inside the house with good results. Once applied it is no more visible than the 3M Film, and has a glossy finish.

You can treat all the high risk areas of your car for under $20. It is claimed to last for one year, and according to several YouTube videos. the film is still intact after that time, but it does begin to get cloudy. My experiments show that it peels off easily when desired. I guess you could compare this to Plastidip, which is currently unavailable in a clear gloss finish (AFAIK).

Have a look at the official 3M video as well as many other reviews on YouTube.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Where did you buy from? Canadian Tire listed it as discontinued.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Where did you buy from? Canadian Tire listed it as discontinued.
The kit that contains the plastic sheet and masking tape is discontinued but the spray is still available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had bras on every one of my cars for over 40 years, sometimes OEM and sometimes Colgan (and one LeBra). Colgan is a good company and makes a good product. And they protect well. Nose protection is almost a necessity here on the gulf coast where we have those little spawns of the devil called love bugs twice a year. The acid in their bodies will eat through a clear coat very quickly.

It is an old wives tale that bras destroy the paint. The bras are made with a soft inner liner that protects the paint. Damage to the paint comes from those owners that take shortcuts and don't remove the bra when they wash the car. It is possible to get sand under the bra, I suppose, but they fit quite tight and, as I understand it, this is a problem only if the bra is old and "flaps" in the wind while driving. Having said that, however, I once bought a brand new 1994 Previa. I put on an OEM Toyota bra at the dealership the day I bought it. I removed the bra FOR THE FIRST TIME 20 years later when I gave the vehicle to my niece. The paint under the bra looked virtually new, while the paint on the rest of the car was faded and dull. So much for hurting the paint! It was the best part of the car!

I have a brand new RAV4, just two months old. The first thing I bought was a Colgan bra. Apparently Toyota now only sells the clear ones. From info derived from my friends, these bras will eventually start turning yellow and need to be replaced. And THAT is where the real problem comes in. They are stuck down to the paint so hard, especially if it has been several years, that getting it off really screws up the paint, ironically far more than a fabric bra ever would.

And, Y'know, the black ones just look GOOOOD! Sorta gives it an aggressive look.

Colgan bras are pricey and requires a bit of effort to take on and off, but I strongly recommend them. There are cheaper bras out there, but Colgan has been around for a very long time and have many happy customers. I feel LeBra is ok, but Colgan is better quality.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Colgan full style bra, carbon fiber, on my 3rd gen. and would highly recommend that specific one. I agree that if not properly maintained they can cause more damage than not having one, but with proper care they're excellent protection (in my opinion). The full-style covers most of the hood, and the main thing is that it doesn't flap in the wind like the original style can, and it's less likely to get road debris underneath. The carbon fiber is a lot tougher and worth the extra price. I'd advise getting the most padding as well, the double-lined flannel I think it's called. Try not to park under trees that could drop leaves or something that could roll underneath the bra, and clean under the bra every 3 months or so, whenever you wash it. If your RAV is always garaged you should be fine; if not, you may want to reconsider. Also ensure wax has properly cured before you reinstall the bra. And yes the clear bra will yellow with age (and I don't think it gives as much protection to road debris as it isn't padded like the flannel-lined bra). Hope this helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!
Yes, the clear protection would not take away from the looks of the car, but it is still close to the paint and I wonder how well it will protect against rocks and things. There is also the price differential.
I don't think it would hurt to at least try out the Colgon and see how hard it is to put on and take off. I really think that padding and fabric covering would provide maximum protection and could be easier to clean those pesky little bugs we have down here off the nose of the car.
As for looks, I think it is a matter of taste, yes. I for one, don't mind the look and the full size seems to dress up the hood in a sporty fashion.

Thanks again, and if anyone has anymore info, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I considered the clear film option, but it wouldn't have prevented the rock dent that I got on the leading edge of the hood before I put the EGR Superguard deflector on. :frown

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks for all the feedback again. I've been driving about 2-300 miles every week and a second chip has appeared on the nose, although I didn't hear it. So, I just went onto the Autoanything website and it had that same one with a 20% off of any order over $99. That made my decision. It will be here in January and I'll try to post some pics when I get it on the front end.

Now if I can get my radio to stop rebooting every so often, I'll be set!

Peace, and enjoy this Christmas Season!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had promised some pictures of the nose guard when installed. I know it took a while, but I finally had my car wash friend touch up the nicks on the front and put on the protection.

He told me it was very tight to get on, but they did an amazing job at detailing the whole car, in and out.

Peace,

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts